PDA

View Full Version : At the breaking point...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lifeat660
Mon, Jan-12-09, 11:54
Hey,
I'd like to introduce myself, sort of - I'd like to sorta be anonymous, at least right now, as I'm embarrassed that I am where I am, but my real first name is Patrick.

Right now I'm 29 years old.
At age 12 I weighed 350 and wore a 54 pant size.

Today I'm 660 lbs and wear an 84 pant size. Amazingly enough I'm not bed ridden, and I can get around, albeit it's a lot harder now than it even was 2-3 years ago.

I also have trouble doing my daily needed activities - even using the restroom is a chore. My wife wants a family more than anything, and I need to get my life in order so that we can have children.

I'm at the point where I can see myself bed ridden in another year or 2 if I don't make a change now - while I still am able to.

I've been a biggest loser fan since 2005 and have dreamt of being on the show, but I've come to the conclusion that I can't just hope and weight(no pun intended).

Today I'm starting a mega weight loss routine. My Basal Metabolic Rate is 5800.

Today I started a 1600 calorie diet.

It's not necessarily uber low carb like atkins, but I am taking out the majority of the carbs, and we just got a family membership at the YMCA - which I will be working out as often as possible - I'm currently out of work -so working out will be my full-time job.

I could definitely use any advice, or help in staying motivated, and focused.
Thanks

Samantha22
Mon, Jan-12-09, 11:57
I'm sorry you're in a bad place.
The decision to make a change is the first step....so you're already suceeding!
I would suggest making a journal.
It will help you through the tough times, and it'll help us help you.
This is such a wonderful, safe place for you to be.
Welcome, and good luck!
My journal is always open.

lifeat660
Mon, Jan-12-09, 12:12
Thanks Samantha - I have one at fitday - I'll add it to my sig after I update it - I haven't logged in in quite awhile.

Kisal
Mon, Jan-12-09, 14:00
Welcome to the forums! :)

addict1000
Mon, Jan-12-09, 14:03
Welcome!

We are glad that you found us. Keep posting! It is so important to be with likeminded individuals. Everyone has their battles. There is nothing to be embarrassed about.

It is awesome that you are making a change...Best wishes for long term success!

Bru88
Mon, Jan-12-09, 19:50
Welcome to the forums, best of luck on your weight loss journey. If you are having problems with cravings you might want to go on a strict Atkins induction. My history is I used Atkins before I had a gastric bypass(675 pounds) to lose 80 pounds, wish I would have just stayed with the lifestyle. Lost a lot of weight, but broke my leg and was restricted to no weight on it for 3 months, got back into my old habits of high carb eating. Now I'm back learning how to eat for the rest of my life! Low carb helps my blood sugars, and everything else. Drop by my journal if I can answer any questions for you or help in any way! Best of luck on your weight loss journey...Bru

MisterE
Mon, Jan-12-09, 19:55
Welcome! Need anything I can help with just holler!

feelskinny
Mon, Jan-12-09, 20:05
I think we all have to hit bottom before we make solid, positive changes in our lives.
I quit smoking after a prolonged cough that scared the crap out of me.
I started LCing when DD announced one day that she wants a mother around for her wedding...

Not easy stuff, but real.
You're in the right place at the right time.

Welcome and enjoy the journey. You have many fantastic travel mates.

Mon, Jan-12-09, 20:16
Welcome Patrick.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum.

Feel free to stop by any ole time.

Wishing you all the best.

Here's to positive change in 2009! :thup:

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~ Ralph Marston

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/AussieTPP/Animated%20Stuff/3cf61eba-1.gif
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4

zodea
Mon, Jan-12-09, 20:25
Wow, I wish you the best of luck!

I also think you should try full fledged Atkins. The nice part about this is that your cravings go away after a few days. You can EAT and lose weight. I am not the most diligent at the weight loss, but I was really happy today that one of my students asked me how I had been dieting because it was so obvious that I had been losing weight.

This is one of the first people to comment on my weight loss who didn't already know I was trying to lose weight. YEAH!

I think once you make the commitment, you can do it. I started this (again) when I was approaching my all time high weight. I had lost weight previously and swore never to get that bad again. I plan to keep going this time and not stop... ever. I am curious to see where my weight will eventually settle.

You can do this. Low carb is a way of life and really, really does work.

Start a journal. I am sure many will want to keep up with your journey.

Hugs!
zodea

girlbug2
Mon, Jan-12-09, 20:32
Welcome Patrick, I'm in your corner. Please do post on these forums every day for support. I find that it helps me quite a bit to do that. The first time I tried Atkins a few years ago I fell off the wagon before I reached my goal; I didn't know about this site, and there was nobody in my real life that was supportive of this way of eating, so it was easy to get discouraged and quit without encouragement and knowledgeable people around to help me through the rough patches. Now that I've discovered this place, I know I can see it all the way through to the end.

Best wishes, catch you later!

lifeat660
Mon, Jan-12-09, 21:52
i've finished my first full day - I ate 1450 calories, 50% protein, 29% carbs, and 20% fats.

I didn't hit my goal of 200 oz of water though, but there's always tomorrow... I sure am peeing a lot though lol..

Feelin' a little jittery - probably the xenadrine combined with my body getting use to lesser calories - I do feel enthusiastic though, and I was able to make it through w/out too many cravings thanks to low carb cool whip in a can + sugar free choco pudding...Chocolate is my weekness...60 calories,and it tastes much better than a candy bar.

STORMY1944
Mon, Jan-12-09, 22:08
Welcome lifeat660
Hi to you if I can help let me know I welcome you to my journal .I have fell off the wagon more than I have been able to stay on. Because I'm food addict with need to apply my self but just cant seem to get it right just yet but I do know were in the right place to win this battle. :wave:

jschwab
Mon, Jan-12-09, 22:14
Good luck with everything! It CAN be a full-time job to do this. And please make sure you sign up in the Triple Digits Club for those of us with more than 100lbs to lose.

Quantum
Mon, Jan-12-09, 23:53
Good Luck!
Here is an inspirational blog for you to peruse:
http://theantijared.blogspot.com/

Keep it up. And don't be afraid to (on occasion every few weeks) to go even up to 2000 kcal for a day to trick your body into thinking it is not starving!

I am looking forward to reading of your successes here!

CValentine
Tue, Jan-13-09, 01:40
Hi Patrick!

Good to see someone from SW Ohio!
I'm from the Wilmington, Ohio area...relocated to the Texas area - Thanks to the US Army!

Awesome that you've got your family membership to the Y!!!
Fun stuff & a really diversified number of classes for all fitness levels! I want to wish you success in all of this!

Just want encourage you to keep visiting & posting & hanging out here with all of us here on the Forum too....
Strength in Numbers!!!

We're here for you Patrick! :) ~Cheryl

Kirsteen
Tue, Jan-13-09, 03:38
Hi there. Welcome to the forum. :wave: I'm sure you've come to the best place - there are lots of people here who'll support and encourage you.

One of the forum members has recorded a series of YouTube podcasts, which are really informative and encouraging. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=bowulf

You might also enjoy some of Jimmy Moore's output - he has a general blog, a menu blog, a forum, Youtube vidoes and podcasts of interviews of doctors, scientists and diet gurus about low-carbing. The links are all found on the following page (scroll down and you'll see "LLVLC Quicklinks" on the right hand side of the page):

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/

Best of luck with your weight loss journey.

suzanneyea
Tue, Jan-13-09, 04:07
I am sure you have tried a million times to lose weight by restricting your calories, but it has not worked. Why not try Atkins? I know I tried a million times to restrict calories, but always gained it back. The majority of the people on the Biggest Loser gain it all back. While you will find those of us who did Atkins or a similar low carb diet seem to maintain our weight loss.

Freelancer
Tue, Jan-13-09, 05:13
Hi there, Welcome!

I am sort of new here also which kinda makes me feel like I don't really have a place to say anything yet but I was a little worried about you so I just had to post.

Are you sure that 1600 (even 1450?) calories per day is safe for a body whos Basic Metabolic Rate is over 5k? I would strongly suggest speaking with a doctor about this. That would be a drop of over 1 pound per day by calorie restriction alone, not to mention that you are also trying to low carb it so the drop would be even greater.

I am not trying to discourage you, I think you have incredible determination and I wish you only the best on your journey. I am just a worry wart :)

donnaliz67
Tue, Jan-13-09, 05:36
Welcome Patrick. You've found a great place for support on your journey. I wish you much success.

suzanneyea
Tue, Jan-13-09, 06:38
FYI, I just went and tracked what I ate yesterday, a pretty typical day for me cause I eat the samething almost everyday. I am 5 5 110 and I ate 2300 calories...something to think about. And I am a 37 year old woman.

Goat Lady
Tue, Jan-13-09, 06:40
Welcome Patrick! This place has so much support! You'll get great advice and support here!

Again...welcome and keep posting! :)

kasstout
Tue, Jan-13-09, 06:48
Hello and welcome to the site! I am excited to see you succeed in your goals. I think you will find that u will love this site. There are so many great experienced people on here! I dont think i could have stuck it out this far without their help. Let us know when u need support and advice. Glad to help.

jschwab
Tue, Jan-13-09, 10:18
I'm glad some others said something, because I wasn't wanting to be intrusive, but you need to forget about calories and just count carbs. Your body needs enough to function - if you eat the right things you will lose even on a lot of calories per day. I am 5'5", 181 pounds and I can easily eat 3000 calories worth in a "big" day and still continue to get smaller.

Janine

Quantum
Tue, Jan-13-09, 14:41
Yes, about the severe caloric restriction. It almost always fails due to the body forcing you to eat because it thinks you are starving. However, many people I know who have maintained told me about their early days in their diet, and they started out in a severe calorie restriction. After a few weeks of this they lost weight, but was about to go out and hold up a grocery store to get some food. They also seemed to slow down in their weight loss. At this time they boosted their calories, and lo and behold they started dumping the weight off!

A caloric deficit is needed to reduce rate, and 1000 cal a day will cause you to lose 2 lb of fat a week on average.

How did you calculate your BMR btw? 5000 seems really high. Yes, walking around could raise your daily expenditure to that level, but BMR is your sleeping metabolic rate.

I would recommend eating about 3000 kcal a day for the first couple of weeks (or even longer if you continue to lose weight).
I only weigh 265, and I expend 4000 or more kcal a day with exercise, and I am dumping the weight on around 2700 - 3000 kcal! If your daily burn rate is 5000 then you will be losing 4 lb a week (probably more due to the starting weight you are at)

3000 kcal is a LOT of low carb food, lots of meat, lots of vegetables and good fats. It will be hard to eat this much because your body will have its hunger satisfied by a LC diet.

Also, I would highly recommend investing in a Bodybugg (as you have seen on the Biggest Loser) as this will tell you with 90% accuracy how much energy you expended during the day.

If you want to see how I am tracking my energy balance, you can check out my blog linked in my sig file. I am not keeping as strictly to a low carb diet as most on this forum, because my body seems to be ok with what I am eating right now. But when I stall, I increase my calories and remove carbs at the same time, and that kicks it gear for me.

Continue to kick ass, and keep us posted!

Mike

Quantum
Tue, Jan-13-09, 14:42
I'm glad some others said something, because I wasn't wanting to be intrusive, but you need to forget about calories and just count carbs. Your body needs enough to function - if you eat the right things you will lose even on a lot of calories per day. I am 5'5", 181 pounds and I can easily eat 3000 calories worth in a "big" day and still continue to get smaller.

Janine

I just saw your stats. Awesome!

tommiec68
Tue, Jan-13-09, 15:02
Hi Patrick and welcome. As you can see already there are wonderful, supportave, knowledgeable people here. Educate yourself. There is a lot of great information here. Stick with it and you can succeed.

Tammie

gem52372
Tue, Jan-13-09, 15:17
Good luck!!! Its great to have you here...you have come to the right place....Keep it up!!

NixCarbos
Tue, Jan-13-09, 16:19
Welcome Patrick :wave:

This is a great support forum. My journal too is always open :rheart:

Lisa

lifeat660
Fri, Jan-23-09, 12:16
Mike - I used online BMR calculators like this one:
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

This is what I got at 660 lbs -- You have a BMR of 4882.3
My new BMR at 589 would be: You have a BMR of 4439.97

blumunz
Fri, Jan-23-09, 12:52
welcome, and dont feel embarrassed here. This is a place to find strength not criticism, hope instead of hurt. Please feel free to gripe, cry or hoop and hollar. We will try to help in any way that we can. I'm just curious though, at your current weight is 1600 calories going to be enough?? I know you want to loose and and the more you have to loose the stricter we want to be. But sometimes if you go too low your body thinks its in starvation mode and hangs onto every little thing it can. Just something to think about because I am by no means an expert or anything. Let me know if you need to talk