PDA

View Full Version : Hope second time's a charm

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Steveram
Sun, Jan-11-09, 08:34
Some background...

I was always heavy as a kid, and this followed me all the way until I was 25. My weight had peaked at 270 lbs, and even after attempting several exercise and diet plans, nothing made a dent. I was also a smoker at the time, and that didn't help with the attempt at running.

Moved cities at 24, and was now working a desk / sales job, less active than ever. I hit 270 lbs, lost all hope, and then (I can't remember how) found the Protein Power diet plan. Atkins was just getting to be popular here at the time.

So my first time around it was 1999, and I followed the plan, and when from 270 to 220, in less than 8 months. I included a daily gym regiment, and the pounds flew off. With a desk job, I had a schedule so planning lunch was easy. Also, living alone allowed me to eat what I needed without worrying about others.

However with a change in jobs and several moves, I lost the motivation and went back to easting the things that got me in trouble in the first place.

Fast forward 8 years...

I now own a house, married, and now a new parent with an amazing 4 month old baby boy, but I'm back to 270. This time my motivation is a little expanded as you can tell.

So I'm on day 3 (probably more, I was on day 5 of a 21 day "cleanse" when I switched to low-carb) and I'm already showing progress with mild ketosis.

I'm finding it a LOT easier than I remember, and this time I'm going all the way to 200lbs (I'm 6' 1").

I'm 10 years older than the last time, but waaaaay more motivated than ever.

Bru88
Sun, Jan-11-09, 15:04
Welcome to the forums...Bru

addict1000
Mon, Jan-12-09, 14:05
Motivation is definately the key! That sweet 4 month of yours is certainly strong motivation.

I wish you all the success! You can do it. :wave:

Steveram
Tue, Jan-13-09, 08:03
Tuesday and feeling great, showing a "mid" range on the keto sticks!

No loss yet, but it's only been a few days.

Mousesmom
Tue, Jan-13-09, 10:29
Welcome to the forum Steveram - glad you joined us here.

"Mid-range" still mean ketosis. Many people (including me) never get past "trace" and still lose.

You are probably due for a whoosh soon.

All the best, Julie