PDA

View Full Version : Exercises That Target Thighs?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

gwenstylez
Thu, Jan-08-09, 08:50
So I'm doing some cardio, and I'm low carbing, so I'm happy to say I'm losing weight!

I know it's impossible to "spot treat" specific areas of the body (such as belly fat etc). But I'm wondering if anyone can suggest specific exercises that would work my thighs/upper legs. They're huge. They rub together and they stick out the front too, almost as much as my belly (I don't know if I'm describing it very well).

Any ideas? I have access to so much cardio and weight equipment I don't even know what a lot of it is called, and I'm not adverse to doing stuff at home too.

jschwab
Thu, Jan-08-09, 09:24
You should so squats. Just google squats and you'll find some pages with the proper technique. Watch out, though - I'm still hurting and I did my squats on Monday!

Kay2008
Sun, Jan-11-09, 22:31
If your legs are big in the way you describe because of stored fat, then all you can really do is cardio/fat burning workouts. I do interval training which is great for that, and worked wonders for me last time. Once you start burning fat, it will come off your body. Like you said, you cannot spot reduce but your fat loss will eventually make it's way around to your thighs, if not at first. Just give it time.

To tone up, you can do resistance training (weights). I'd suggest you do weights first, then cardio. You will have used up any carbs you have eaten during your weight workout, then when you do your interval or cardio it will burn fat.

This is what I have learnt, and it worked for me... that's enough evidence before someone comes along saying exercise doesn't do a thing for fat loss.

aharrison
Fri, Jan-16-09, 20:54
try squats and lunges be aware it is painful but it works

ElizabethB
Mon, Jan-26-09, 17:51
I have been doing squats, lunges, curtsey (sp?) lunges (outer thighs- got that move from a Firm video), step ups onto a high step, and a squat where you put your feet in second position (inner thighs) -all with two 8 lb dumbells. If you really want to feel the burn, sit against the wall with no chair and stay there as long as you can stand it! :lol:

Ann1231
Mon, Jan-26-09, 18:05
if you like to walk and live in a hilly area, that's a GREAT way to lose inches on the thigh area. Squats always made my thighs bigger but walking on gentle hills does wonders for my leg shape. Biking is great for thighs too.

Hairballz
Mon, Feb-02-09, 11:11
If you have difficulty doing "true" squats (a lot of people do), one of the things we used to teach people in a mobility class that REALLY works the thighs but is very simple is to find a step or a set of stairs, and sit down on the lowest step you can (that's usually the second step up for most people). Then cross your arms over your chest and stand up. You cannot use your arms at all to stand up. This forces your legs to do all the work (hint, lean forward a bit as you first start to stand up). Repeat 10 times, rest a sec, then do it again. Your thighs will DEFINITELY feel this, plus it has the added benefit of increasing your "mobility" as you age. I remember reading somewhere that better than 1/2 of nursing home residents are there mostly because they lack the ability to get up and down by themselves - lack the upper and lower body strength to get out of a chair without assistance. This exercise will help with that, too.

aeroangie
Sun, Feb-08-09, 21:55
Thanks Hairballz! As a retired fitness professional, with two past knee surgeries, I have never heard that one. I just did it and found it not painful either - even on the first step! I crackled quite a bit, but will add those special "reverese squats" to my life now.

That's why I love this forum!!!

aeroangie
Sun, Feb-08-09, 22:09
Oh yes - to Gwen - the OP -

Grab your heavy dumbbells for this one....

Get on your hands and knees - balance your spine and hips so they are parallel to the floor - make sure your abs are slightly contracted enough to tilt your pelvis forward (a very slight cat back arch - like if someone were standing behind you, they would pull your waist up towards the ceiling just a bit.) We call this position "engaged" - which means protecting your lower spine

put one dumbbell behind the bend of your knee, and pull your heel in towards your butt to hold the weight there

now - come down to your elbows keeping your spine "engaged" -pelvis parallel to the floor

raise and lower the leg with the dumbbell 15 - 20 times

Work up to 3 sets of 20 per leg. You will have a tight butt and back of thigh in no time!

Hairballz
Mon, Feb-09-09, 07:13
Thanks Hairballz! As a retired fitness professional, with two past knee surgeries, I have never heard that one. I just did it and found it not painful either - even on the first step! I crackled quite a bit, but will add those special "reverese squats" to my life now.

That's why I love this forum!!!

Hey, happy to help! I love that exercise, use it as part of my regular gym routine. By the way, the other part of this is when we were teaching it to a bunch of "desk jockies" about a year or so ago as part of a work wellness thing, we told them to get in the habit of doing that ALL THE TIME in their lives - for instance when you're sitting on the couch, when you get up do not use your arms to help yourself rise. Or in a chair at a restaurant or at the office, get in the habit of NOT putting your hands on the armrests to help yourself up. As a lifetime habit it increases your leg and core strength.

Thu, Feb-12-09, 17:31
If you have difficulty doing "true" squats (a lot of people do), one of the things we used to teach people in a mobility class that REALLY works the thighs but is very simple is to find a step or a set of stairs, and sit down on the lowest step you can (that's usually the second step up for most people). Then cross your arms over your chest and stand up. You cannot use your arms at all to stand up. This forces your legs to do all the work (hint, lean forward a bit as you first start to stand up). Repeat 10 times, rest a sec, then do it again. Your thighs will DEFINITELY feel this, plus it has the added benefit of increasing your "mobility" as you age. I remember reading somewhere that better than 1/2 of nursing home residents are there mostly because they lack the ability to get up and down by themselves - lack the upper and lower body strength to get out of a chair without assistance. This exercise will help with that, too.

Oooh. Thanks for that Hairballz. I have a drop down living room with just enough stairs to accomplish this.

Thanks bunches 'cause I'm going to get started on those immediately. :thup:

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~ Ralph Marston

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/AussieTPP/Animated%20Stuff/3cf61eba-1.gif
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4