PDA

View Full Version : The numbers are coming down!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lisa N
Thu, Mar-28-02, 20:32
Going to have my cholesterol checked at the lab tomorrow, so I did a home test. Partly to see how accurate these things are and also partly to see where I'm at. The last time I had it checked, doc wanted to put me on Lipitor because both my total cholesterol and my LDL went up. Of course, my HDL had also gone up and my triglycerides had dropped over 200 points (I said no to the Lipitor). Anyway....home test shows me around 190 which is good because I checked it a month ago and the test showed me at 230! I re-read DANDR and added some Niacin and Red rice yeast to the Fish oil and garlic that I was already taking and they seem to be doing the trick. Also increased (yes, INcreased my fat consumption). I'll post the actual numbers when I get them back.

In_Control
Thu, Mar-28-02, 21:01
Where do you find all these oils and supplements?

My choloesterol all came back great at my last dr visit, but I don't want to see it go up.

Thanks.

Lisa N
Fri, Mar-29-02, 06:42
In_Control...

I get all of my supplements at my local health food store, but most pharmacies and Nutrition stores (like GNC) would carry them as well. Be prepared...many of these are not inexpensive. If your cholesterol numbers look good just doing the diet, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Essential oils like Fish oil are good for everyone in general. The rest I added because my personal numbers went up a bit.

wbahn
Sat, Mar-30-02, 16:22
Congrats.

I have a doctor's appointment for a general physical on 17 April. I also plan to do a home test in conjuction with the lab tests to see how close they match.

I don't know if this doctor (I haven't met him yet) is LC-friendly or not. If he isn't, then I'm finding a different doctor.

Lisa N
Sat, Mar-30-02, 16:54
Wbahn...I feel the same way you do. When I first starting this WOL, I was afraid I was going to have to argue with my doctor to do it and was prepared to do so. Surprisingly he said, "If you think it will help you, go for it". If he starts recommending that I quit and won't work with me on this, I'll find a doctor who will.