PDA

View Full Version : Back and Intro!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Quantum
Mon, Dec-29-08, 14:24
Hello,
My name is Mike.

Back in 2005 I joined this group, and learned quite a bit. But I let my participation slide, so let me introduce myself and update on what has been going on since I was last on.

While doing LC WOE, I lost about 20 lb and went from 275 to 255 a few times.
I discovered that I am allergic to wheat thanks to LC, with the effects of eating wheat being an increase in skin problems, stomach problems, and mood problems.
In late April 2006 I was at my high weight of 275 lb, and could barely walk up a flight of stairs I was in such bad shape.
Then I discovered Lindy Hop (Swing dancing), and that changed my life!
Over a period of 14 months, and dancing 3-5 times a week for several hours a night, I dropped to 220 lbs, gained 15 pounds of muscle, all while eating a high carb junky diet.
My depression was gone, my social life picked up, and I felt great in general, so that the mood swings of eating sugar did not hit me as hard.
I met my fiancee in July of 2007, and stopped dancing.
We ate out quite a bit, and since I was not dancing all the time to burn off the calories, my weight (and hers) crept up.

I have gained weight back, and am now at 276, the highest I have ever weighted.

However, there are many differences. A good 17 lb of the weight I have now that I did not have in 2006 is muscle.
My resting heart rate is 63, and I can easily dance a whole evenign without feeling winded.
There is no doubt I put on a lot of fat in the last year and a half, but my health is not nearly as bad as it was before starting dancing.
I now dance regularly, twice a week or so, and exercise, but the dancing is so ingrained that it is now very efficient calorie burn wise.

But what is doing me in is my diet.
On days I work out I may burn between 4200 and 4500 cal (via body bugg measurements), but on average over the course of the week I average 4500 cal a day of crappy junky food. Lots of carbs, lots of sugar (wheat as well).

So, although I am in better shape than I have been in years, I am at 35% body fat on a 6'2'' frame.

My goal is to get to 200 lb, and about 10-12% body fat.

I plan on doing this by dancing more, lifting weights a few times a week, and eating a low carb diet.
By low carb I mean I will cut all refined sugars out.
I will eat as much vegitables (green, yellow etc) as I want, 3-4 servings of fruit (avocados as well!) a day, lots of lean meats, and some rice here and there.

I am not drastically lowering my carbs, but I am reducing my caloric percentage of them down quite a bit, to a percentage I have not determined yet, but that will allow me to lose weight at a safe rate. The carbs I do eat, save for a once a week cheat meal, will be the best I can choose!

I look forward to reading about other peoples journey, and sharing mine with others.
To this end I will have a weight loss blog posted soon if anyone is interested.

Have a great rest of the year!

Mike

perfectfit
Mon, Dec-29-08, 14:32
Welcome back to the forums Mike. I remember you from before and I have enjoyed your posts. Congrats on finding love and don't you just love Swing. :)

addict1000
Mon, Dec-29-08, 14:36
Welcome back Mike,

I look forward to hearing about what you have to say. Best wishes on your journey to health!

:wave:

Quantum
Mon, Dec-29-08, 14:37
Thanks!

And yes, I love Swing like you would not believe (nearly as much as my Fiancee!)
Dancing changed my life.

Do you get out dancing much?

Quantum
Mon, Dec-29-08, 14:38
Welcome back Mike,

I look forward to hearing about what you have to say. Best wishes on your journey to health!

:wave:

Thank you! =)

Kisal
Mon, Dec-29-08, 15:51
Welcome back! :wave: