PDA

View Full Version : I'm new too!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jolie30
Mon, Dec-29-08, 10:42
Hi, I'm Jolie from Louisiana. I'm 43, married for almost 20 years to my husband (who is also starting LC), with three teenagers (18 year old daughter, who is also starting LC and two boys, 17 and 16). While we are putting our official start date as 1/1/09, we have already starting cutting the carbs. Currently, we are going to be following The 30-Day Low-Carb Diet Solution by the Eades. It has customized meal plans that will allow me to cook for the whole family (we each just get different amounts). I need to lose at least 85 lbs, my daughter needs to lose at least 75 lbs and my husband needs to lose at least 100 lbs. We have a long road ahead of us, but know we need to do it as both my husband and I are already Type II diabetics with cholesterol issues and high blood pressure (for my husband). Looking forward to getting to know the people here.

CValentine
Mon, Dec-29-08, 11:09
Hi Jolie!!!

Welcome to you & your family!
There is an abundance of good information & great people here!
You're doing great already - you have a game plan & people on board with you for built in support...
We're here fighting the good fight with y'all!!

Wishing you success Jolie & Family:) ~Cheryl

addict1000
Mon, Dec-29-08, 11:23
Welcome,

How fun that you and your family are doing this together. That really helps for long term success....just don't quit and don't cheat and you should see great results!

and remember...it is hard enough to keep yourself on an eating plan...they are going to have to provide their own motivation...don't feel like you have to carry them along. It is kind of like the directions in an airplane to put your own oxygen mask on first before tending to others.

Skyliz
Mon, Dec-29-08, 12:04
Welcome to the forums, Jolie.

How nice that your husband and daughter have joined you in your slimming efforts. That way you can give each other support and a little competition, which I would personally love. :cool:

Bru88
Mon, Dec-29-08, 12:22
Welcome to the forums Jolie and family! Best of luck on your new weight loss venture!...Bru :wave:

Kisal
Mon, Dec-29-08, 12:55
Welcome! I think you'll like it here! Best of luck to you and your family! :wave:

Zilly
Mon, Dec-29-08, 13:05
Welcome, Jolie and fam! I am doing the Eades Protein Power plan. Incidentally, he's giving away copies of his book on his web site right now - google Protein Power and his site is at the top.
I think Eades really has it down to a science, especially with diabetics. My DH has type 1 diabetes and his A13c levels always go way down when we're OP. He gets to the point where he barely needs insulin - that's how effective it is.

Best of luck to you - lots of support here! :)

Jolie30
Mon, Dec-29-08, 16:32
Thank you all for the welcome. As much as I am glad to have my husband and daughter working along with me, I think I am already a bit guilty of addict1000's warning in that I have taken it upon myself to plan all the meals as when I ask for their input, they say "whatever you think". Secretly, I think my husband is already regretting his decision to join me as he has gone from emphatically saying that he needs to lose weight to "let's try it and see how it goes." However, I will try my hardest not to allow what they choose to do or not to do affect what I will do. I know that is easy to say :)

Zilly, I am off to check his site and get the Protein Power book. At some point since my diagnosis (6 years) I picked up several books, including the 30 day Low-Carb Diet Solution. Off and on for the last 4 years, I've attempted to follow Bernstein's restrictions, but I never could do it long enough to see any real results. In the last year I have had to add insulin to my regime. So something has to be done now. I want normal glucose readings even more than I want to lose weight.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement.

Skyliz
Tue, Dec-30-08, 03:49
Just cook the low carb and healthy meals and don't buy anything high carb anymore. No sweets, salty snacks. Nothing. That's the advantage the lady of the house has, especially if she does the shopping. ;)

In the end they will be utterly grateful.