PDA

View Full Version : Its An Earthquake!!! Iiiiimmmm Baaack

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Earthquake
Tue, Dec-23-08, 11:54
Holy Crows, My last visit here was April 07 I think. Wow, I not only fell off the wagon but fell to the center of the Earth I think.

I have been on a wild ride in life that has led me to a great deal of stress and binge eating and less than healthy good time drinking as well. I have found too much comfort in food and drink lately and its Its not pretty what its done to my physique.

When last posting here I was sharing how Id run 3-5 miles and lift weights and how Id eat...oh yeah, Id lost about 40 lbs and I was really proud of myself....well that was a good 30-35 lbs ago. yeah, Im balooned up to about 294 or so. (My scale at home said 290 after one day of LC :) My last doc visit is what triggered this rebirth here (298 on docs scale in the evening)

I no longer run, barely even lift regularly and am feeling quite unhealthy.

anyhow, I came here not to be scolded for being an ass, but looking for support in the Low Carb lifestyle as I really miss it. Its amazing I read something I wrote from a couple of years back talking about how active I was and how happy etc and How I planned to low carb for life..lets say life got in the way and my own lack of discipline just about killed me...well, I am darned near cripped right now with terrible arthritis in my knees and feet. Its terrible. I am a candidate for knee replacement...wtf happened?! anyone have experience "curing" arthritis (bone spurs and all) with LC?

Something I really struggle with is my power and strength, Im talking muscle strength. I love to lift heavy. I love to eat even heavier because the two things together make me strong (at least in the weight room, then I dont want to get off the couch though ha!) Seems that every time I go LC I lose muscle mass (at least some) and my strength drops ( ie 400 lb bench press goes to low 300s) and that just plays havoc with my mind. I want my waist size to drop not my biceps and pecs ...know what I mean?

Anyhow, enough about that. Someone turn me on to some threads that have dudes who lift and low carb!? I am back.

One question? has the info changed much ? I read that calories are being played up a bit more now than in the past.

time to go eat some chicken. - EQ

liddie01
Tue, Dec-23-08, 12:18
Welcome Back! We needed you to shake things up, EarthQuake!

GlendaRC
Tue, Dec-23-08, 12:40
Welcome back! :wave: Don't do any quaking on the west coast please. :lol:

Re calories, I've noticed lately that a lot of people are becoming more concerned with calories but I don't think that applies to those of us who've been low-carbing for a long time - we're usually following the plan as written when the good doctor was still at the helm! You'll notice by my stats that I didn't have nearly as much to lose as a lot of people here did and do, but I lost it all without thinking about calories and with including the odd (very odd) off-plan meal (I refuse to call it cheating).

You've done it before, you've got the tools, you CAN do it again and you CAN make it stick!! Good luck (I don't know why I say that - luck has nothing to do with it).

Kisal
Tue, Dec-23-08, 13:28
Welcome back! Good for you for getting back on track! :thup:

liddie01
Tue, Dec-23-08, 17:14
I don't worry about calories, just carbs!

Earthquake
Tue, Dec-23-08, 17:54
I never worried about the cals either. I read something that there was a study comparing low carb to low fat/low cal and the atkins folks were able to continue losing on average on about 300 cals per day more than the low fat folks.

shoot, I am out of butter.

BuffBabe2B
Wed, Dec-24-08, 00:09
Welcome back! :wave:

liddie01
Wed, Dec-24-08, 04:21
And get some Butter!

addict1000
Sun, Dec-28-08, 16:18
Welcome back...you are not the only one who has fallen off the wagon....Good luck getting back on and staying on!

:wave:

Earthquake
Sun, Dec-28-08, 18:21
I am back for good. I am loosening things a bit (alcohol ok, ie drinking mans diet) but im hard core into and feeling good.

Nd2lose
Sun, Dec-28-08, 18:33
Welcome back... Its good to know I am not the only one who has returned!

:) :lol:

Skyliz
Mon, Dec-29-08, 03:55
Welcome back to the forums, EQ!

The acknowledgement of what went wrong and why is a very big first step. You'll undoubtedly get all the information and support here that you could possibly wish for. :cool:

mainecyn
Mon, Dec-29-08, 07:39
Hi! I'm fairly new to the board, but not to atkins success. I also lost a years ago on atkins and swore to myself that I'd never "be that size again". I remember how great I felt, nothing hurt, was so active etc. Now, can hardly walk a flight of stairs without feeling winded. I don't know about a cure, but know that in my situation when I was doing atkins in the past I suffered from horrible knee pain and leg pain, along with sharp pains in my feet (I've had spurs)..anyway, when I started losing the lbs the pressure on those parts did go away. In fact it was the return of the pain, after gaining back 40lbs, that finally has modivated me. When I lose the pain goes away, when I gain it comes back. So, I would think it would also help in your case as well.

Brandy23
Mon, Dec-29-08, 07:45
Welcome back Earthquake. I've fell off the wagon 3 times, I feel bad admitting that, but hey, here, we support each other right?
Everyone here are in this together. I'll be back low-carbing next weekend and I can't wait. I wish you the best of luck, feel free to stop by my journal.
Brandy

Blynsay
Mon, Dec-29-08, 08:20
Good luck on your return. I am new to the boards and am looking forward to making a difference in my life, too. Continued success.

Earthquake
Tue, Dec-30-08, 07:34
I have dropped 12 lbs since the 22nd so I am pretty happy. Most importantly I feel so much better that I now realize that I was living in a fog. i
I had terrible knee and back pain. I had no energy, everything was an effort. I could not concentrate, had terrible memory and felt like I had blurry vision sometimes. I always wanted to sleep while driving long distances. That has all changed. Honestly, who the f%$^ cares about the weight? I just want to live and be active.

Anyhow now I can make a "to do list" and actually not laugh at the thought of doing those things.

Voo36
Wed, Dec-31-08, 12:28
Hi Earthquake,

Back in 2005, I had terrible knee and back pain along with increasingly frequent bouts of gout attacks in my toes and fingers.

I was just 41 years old and had already been told that I had fibromyalgia and the doctors would have a tough time treating me if I developed a full blown arthritis attack due to bleeding problems with even the mildest of arthritis type meds.

So.. LC was an effort to regain my mobility. Oh wow did it ever work ! Even though I've only lost (and kept off) 50 lbs, the changes to my knees, legs, back and just general overall health is tremendous. LC'ing really seems to help with any type of inflamation in the body. Hope this helps firm up your resolve to stay the course, it really did help me completely change my life.

:wave: Good luck