PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kit Rivers
Mon, Dec-15-08, 13:25
I'm Kit, and I live in NZ. I am about 215lbs (97 kilos). I arrived at low carb by the most bizarre route. About 8 months ago I rebelled. I said I didn't care what the experts said, if I ate low-fat I got fatter! The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing and expect different results. So I stopped low-fat dieting. Amazingly my weight didn't change much (I was very heavy on low fat). I put on a couple of extra kilos and stabilized.

3 months ago my dd17 who had been sick for over a year was diagnosed coeliac and lactose intolerant. She also had some intolerance to sucrose. My ds 12 was "pre-coeliac". The whole family moved to gluten free eating. After amazing withdrawal symptoms I never felt better. Although I did not loose weight I felt better than I had in years, no 'brain fog'
, more energy etc. I decided to investigate.

This let me to a book "against the grain" and I heard about carbohydrate addiction for the first time. I followed on with "Life without bread". I could get angry we have been conned for so long, but I am excited.

I am in a difficult position at the moment. We move house in less than a month with Christmas in the middle. My eldest child, an adult living away from home is a committed vegetarian, verging on vegan. She hates to sit at the table if meat is there. We have (next week) to go to her Vegan Christmas party. She has promised gluten/lactose free food, although there may be sucrose, but it will be VERY high carbs. Also I live rurally (in NZ, South Island....just think LOTR and you KNOW how many shops we have here ;)) although we have just killed 2 sheep, so there is lots of meat and we have chooks, and therefore eggs, of course. Then there is Christmas.....

So for the moment I am not counting anything. I am totally grain/sugar free, but I eat fruit and veg (particularly raspberries, we have a glut at the moment), then after we move, and the whole Christmas thing is over, maybe make a proper start? What would you do?

liddie01
Mon, Dec-15-08, 13:31
I'd wait till you move, but see if there are lower carb veggies at your daughters place for now, so you don't have more weight to lose when you do start. :wave: and welcome!

Kisal
Mon, Dec-15-08, 13:43
Welcome, Kit! Nice to have you here! :wave:

Bru88
Mon, Dec-15-08, 14:11
Welcome to the forums best of luck to you and the family...Bru :wave:

poindexter
Mon, Dec-15-08, 16:46
Do the best you can with the high carbs she offers.
Perhaps it won't be too bad if the carbs are veggies, beans, legumes, nuts, fruits, etc.

shellienz
Mon, Dec-15-08, 16:57
Hey there Kit!
Always nice to see an NZer here. Im in the Waikato :)

Ive only been hanging out here for a week, but in that time Ive met some incrediably lovely and supportive people, as will you. The only bummer is when were up and wanting to chat there all cooking dinner and thinking about bed time!

Look forward to seeing you round, good luck and have fun !
:)

Kit Rivers
Tue, Dec-16-08, 01:24
Hi Shellienz, are there other NZers?

I have just got 2 atkins books from the library, and am reading them. I have decided to read them, and also the AMAZING weight loss stories, and start in 'for real' after Christmas and the house move. In the meantime I shall educate myself. Can't wait (weight?) to start!

Kit

Patty47200
Tue, Dec-16-08, 01:30
Hi Kit, Welcome to the forum. I was tricked into low carbing by a doctor. I thought I was only doing it for a week but when I saw the weightloss I continued it and "formalized" it by reading the Atkins new diet revolution.

I wish you the best of luck!

shellienz
Tue, Dec-16-08, 15:35
Hey Kit,
The only other NZer I know of is Muffles, who is very nice.

Good idea holding of until after your move and Xmas. Theres no point setting yourself up for failure. Do your homework and then wait until circumstances are on your side.
Good luck!