PDA

View Full Version : Exercising Everyday

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Israeli
Sat, Dec-13-08, 15:15
Do any of you folks exercise every day? 24/7?
Is that too much?
I have to admit it felt great for the first month, now I feel so pooped with LC flu. I don't want to lose momentum of weight loss though. Whats a good amount per week?

Israeli
Sun, Dec-14-08, 01:31
Is 7 days a week, 30 minutes per day too much?
(Stationary bike)

Blondie888
Sun, Dec-14-08, 02:00
I'm not sure what the "right" answer is to this question, but here's my answer.

If you're pooped, you need to take a break. I think you should have at least one day off per week. A good way to not overtrain, but to get lots of exercise in, is to utilize different types of exercise. A few weight-training sessions, some high-intensity cardio, steady state cardio, alactic training, etc. One issue you will probably find is that the bike will become less effective over time if that's the only type of exercise you do. Your body will become used to it.

So, to answer your questions... I've heard that 5 hours of combined exercise per week is a good ideal to try for. I would take at least one day of rest, and try to find a few alternatives to the bike for some of your exercise sessions.

I have to say though that your zeal for exercising is inspiring. I need to get more cardio in. :)

itrorev
Mon, Dec-15-08, 10:12
That answer depends. Runners could probably get away with exercising every day, but weight lifters may not be able to. I suppose it depends on alot of factors.

I'm a weightlifter, and I definitely can't go everyday, although I'd like to. Gotta let the muscles rest!

Marcia Mae
Tue, Dec-16-08, 09:46
I agree with itrorev, you can't really lift everyday. I tried this and ended up injuring my shoulder, eventhough I lifted a different body part each day, I still over did it.

Do whatever fits into your schedule and what you know you can do on a long term basis. I run 3 miles 4x per week because that is what I enjoy doing and I know I will be able to do indefinately. I also lift 2x per week. If I have to exercise anymore than that, I probably won't exercise at all.

itrorev
Tue, Dec-16-08, 10:27
I agree with itrorev, you can't really lift everyday. I tried this and ended up injuring my shoulder, eventhough I lifted a different body part each day, I still over did it.

Do whatever fits into your schedule and what you know you can do on a long term basis. I run 3 miles 4x per week because that is what I enjoy doing and I know I will be able to do indefinately. I also lift 2x per week. If I have to exercise anymore than that, I probably won't exercise at all.

True. From what I've been told, if you have to spend two hours pumping iron, 4-5 days a week, you're either an Elite Competitive weightlifter or you're spending waaay too much time on isolation machines. One or two days a week of busting your ass on big, compound lifts (until your eyes pop out) should suffice. After all, muscles get stronger through healing and rest!

tilnxtthur
Wed, Dec-17-08, 06:27
(Stationary bike)

I don't think it is, but I'd add some medium intensity weight lifting in on some of those days instead of the stationary bike to give your body more lean mass and mix things up a bit.

Dazed1
Sat, Dec-20-08, 17:19
I exercise everyday during the warm months, but winter just depresses me and I don't accomplish anything.

Bevaboo
Sun, Dec-21-08, 16:55
(Stationary bike)

Not at all. Unless you're wearing yourself out, then you need to take a day or two to recover. If you feel you're pushing yourself too hard, you probably are.

I'm in love with an exercise program called Callanetics, which is wonderful. If I could do it every day, I probably would. But I find that five days in a row is the most I can manage. When I give myself a little break, I feel so much better while I'm doing it.

How much your body can do is individual. I could train hard as she does, and I'd never hold a candle to Paula Radcliffe, for example. I'd probably shrivel up and die after a day of her training routine. :lol: