PDA

View Full Version : Halfway there!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bevaboo
Fri, Dec-05-08, 13:42
Hey, all! My weight-loss journey is probably half over, and I'm finding myself in need of support/encouragement. I already weigh less than I have in years, and the temptation to think, "Oh this'll do," is very strong right now. So, I need some peeps to remind me that I'm not there yet. :lol:

I'm doing Atkins, and it's really what I've needed. I read the book 15 years ago, but I didn't need to watch my weight back then. I read it more as a guide on how to feed myself. Unfortunately, I still tried that first Krispy Kreme, and it was all downhill from there.

I was still eating like crap when I had a terrible car accident and suffered a brain injury, which caused my thyroid to go berserk. Of course, none of my doctors thought about it, and it wasn't until my MIL noticed some things about me (always cold, half eyebrows, weight gain in spite of constantly dietieng, etc.) that I got it checked out. That was 7 years and 30 pounds later, so...

I started taking Armour for it, which stopped the weight gain entirely. The only problem was, it didn't do anything for the fat already hanging off me!

So, after a ton of prayer (I'll admit that I was kind of hoping for God to just zap the fat off me :lol: ), it struck me, What about Atkins? DH and I decided to do it together, and here we are. (He's about 20 pounds from goal, but he's 6'4", so it doesn't look so bad on him.)

I say I'm halfway there with a question mark, because I was in my early 20's the last time I was happy with my weight. Since then, I've had 2 kids and aged about 18 years, so I have no idea what weight will be optimal for me (without being too skinny).

LittleZu
Fri, Dec-05-08, 13:51
Congrats on your weight loss so far! It seems to me that the closer you get to your goal the slower it seems to go, but don't get frustrated and stop halfway. Sometimes it helps to look at some old pictures and remind yourself how far you've come, you know? And even without considering the weight loss, think about how much healthier you are now.

Anyway, I'm a newbie here myself but welcome :)

Kisal
Fri, Dec-05-08, 14:03
Welcome, Bevaboo! It's nice to meet you! :)

I suggest that you learn to use a diet tracking tool, like My P.L.A.N., which is free on this site. The link is in yellow on the right-hand end of the green tool bar. I have found it to be immensely helpful during my journey. :agree:

You might also want to start a journal here. When I started my journal, I had no clue what I'd be able to write about every day, if anything. tt seems to have snowballed, though, because I see that I can be pretty gabby! :lol: :lol: :lol: A journal can really help you stay accountable, and it's a great way to make new friends. :wave:

Bevaboo
Fri, Dec-05-08, 14:14
Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check out the My PLAN thingy and the Journal. I'm very gabby, so that might be something right up my alley.

It seems to me that the closer you get to your goal the slower it seems to go, but don't get frustrated and stop halfway. Sometimes it helps to look at some old pictures and remind yourself how far you've come, you know? And even without considering the weight loss, think about how much healthier you are now.

Ain't that the truth? I lost 18 pounds in the month of October, and in the 6 weeks since then, I've watched the scale slowly creep down 4 pounds. A little frustrating, but you're right. I'm much healthier now than I ever was.

Bru88
Fri, Dec-05-08, 14:27
Welcome and remember the closer to goal the slower the weight loss will probably be...Bru :wave:

jschwab
Fri, Dec-05-08, 15:32
"Since then, I've had 2 kids and aged about 18 years, so I have no idea what weight will be optimal for me (without being too skinny"

I am the same way but I have revised my goals downwards. It can be I will end up heavier but my frame is really small. My dad got a lot of grief when he lost weight because he always wanted to get lower to ho he wanted to be and it would have been easy to stop where people thought he looked OK, but you can only decide for yourself.

Janine