PDA

View Full Version : new from Denver

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hippiechyk
Thu, Dec-04-08, 17:55
hi everyone, i'm new here

i'm Barbara, and i need to start low carbing per doctor's orders so i can stay OFF of more meds! she knows i'm freaky about taking anything, and i already take two for low blood pressure and Armour for thyroid...i'm hopeful that once i start geting my rear in gear i can wean off the blood pressure meds! AND i know if i would have done this last year, i probably would have been already...so i'm a slow learner

anyhow, i'm a homeschool mom, married 25 years to the same wonderful man, and we recvently moved across country to Colorado (Denver metro)

i love to cook, read, cook, blog and read

looking forward to some wisdom and encouragement!

blessings!

LowCarbRob
Thu, Dec-04-08, 18:04
Hi Barbara and welcome to the forums! Many of us here have had significant reduction in our blood pressure since starting this way of eating (WOE).

Check out the Kitchen section for a huge assortment of LC food options, the Success Stories section for inspiration, or just surf around for an abundance of great information.

If you like to cook, read, and blog, you will be a natural around here. Good luck on your journey!

hippiechyk
Thu, Dec-04-08, 18:18
thanks! i will check out all the cool stuff around here!

soapluvr
Thu, Dec-04-08, 18:31
welcome to you hippirchyck! You will be greatful lowcarbing once you get into the swing of it. I seldom find myself hungry anymore. It was a constant struggle for me to keep hunger under control.

You can probably wean yourself off the meds too once you start losing weight.

hippiechyk
Thu, Dec-04-08, 18:34
thanks Becky!

Kisal
Thu, Dec-04-08, 18:49
Welcome to the forums! Nice to meet you! :wave:

robsi999
Thu, Dec-04-08, 21:07
Hi Barbra!

I'm new here too and it looks like we're kind of on the same page in terms of starting point and goals. Maybe we can help each other along the way. Let me know if you start a journal - I'm planning on starting mine tomorrow.

Best of luck!

Robin

jschwab
Thu, Dec-04-08, 21:28
Hi,

I'm just wondering about what kind of plan you are following - Beyond Atkins/lowfat sounds a little dangerous. Most posters agree that with the few carb Atkins requires, higher fat is definitely a good idea. Have you thought about something like South Beach?

Janine

Bru88
Fri, Dec-05-08, 13:06
Hi Barbra Welcome to the forums. I agree with Janine, Atkins is very tough to do low fat, fat is a friend to a low carber, really controls hunger. You will learn a lot hanging out here. Fat is one of the toughest things to wrap your head around, because we have been lied to about its effects on the body for so long. You'll learn a lot just by reading some of the articles floating around here.
As to LC recipes we all love to share. Welcome again and best of luck with your med's...Bru :wave:

hippiechyk
Fri, Dec-05-08, 13:23
thanks all! Kisal, YOU told me about this forum :lol: remember?

Robin, a buddy would be nice...i will let you know if i start a journal, or rather WHEN i can figure out how to get my computer to not wigg out and shut down when i use try to use that P.L.A.N tool (it's my nutty computer, has a mind of it's own ya know)

Janine and Bru, the Beyond Atkins isn't a LOWER carb, it's really more of a moderate carb...my "goal" for carbs is 25 (but i usually push that to 35, my bad! ;) ) and 70 protien (small frame) The dr said "low fat dairy products" because my LDL and HDL and triglcerides are JUST this side of high and she wants me to knock them down with diet and not drugs, as do i...i am very much not a medication person! so i'm not freaky about fats, i do try to choose the good ones (olive oil, and i try to use Smart Start butter/oil blend when i can afford to buy it) but i appreciate the concerns! the site for Beyond Atkins is totalhealthdoc.com, but again, due to my crazy computer, i can't ever get on it :rolleyes: let me know if you can ~giggle~

Bru88
Fri, Dec-05-08, 13:49
Barbara the latest research shows its carbs not fat that raise your LDL and HDL and triglcerides . Best of luck with everything. You might want to read Atkins book he explains how the numbers will come into line doing LC. Basically your body makes cholesterol when you eat fat it slows the making of it, and brings the numbers down. I sure hope your doctors plan works for you, best of luck...Bru :wave:

Bru88
Fri, Dec-05-08, 13:53
Nope can't enter their site says under construction, coming soon!

Bru88
Fri, Dec-05-08, 14:24
Barbara its odd I've been through two pages of google results with no real info other then his bio. He sounds like he started with the zone diet and changed a couple things to call it Beyond whichever diet? I'll check his web page later, kinda wondered if he is being sued by everyone or something, Beyond zone, beyond Atkins????? Best of luck...Bru

hippiechyk
Mon, Dec-08-08, 11:27
thanks Brui don't know why you can't get info on him...it is weird

but i do have the Gycemic Index book around here somewhere, it looks ALOT like that diet...i'll have to get out that book and compare it

i'm waiting on the South Beach book too....there's just so many to choose from ;-)

Kisal
Mon, Dec-08-08, 12:53
Barbara, this link (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=148) will take you to the My P.L.A.N. support forum. You can learn all the ins and outs of using the tracking tool there. If you still have questions after reading everything, just post it. Someone will come along soon and answer your question.

I'm glad you've joined us! :wave:

Bevaboo
Mon, Dec-08-08, 18:20
Barbara, good for you that you're working to get your health back under control. I'm also on a medley of meds, including Armour (natural thyroid), so I can totally understand that!

I was actually thinking that Atkins might help with the sluggishness, but I was/am too bashful to talk to the doctor about it. It has helped, though. I no longer get worn out halfway through the day, *and* I've still got energy to exercise after the kids are in bed.

hippiechyk
Mon, Dec-08-08, 18:34
Kisal, i really think it's my computer with the issues ;) we'll see after tomorrow, it's getting an upgrade

Bev, i SO hear you on the tiredness! and exercise is my goal for the week this week...gotta get out that WATP DVD and go for it tomorrow :thup:

triplemom
Wed, Dec-10-08, 10:20
Welcome Barbara! Denver is great - I visited there last year (my sister lives there).

Bevaboo
Wed, Dec-10-08, 12:37
Hey, Barbara, if you don't mind, I'm going to make an exercise recommendation. Only because I'm so happy to have discovered a program that I can do, even when I'm feeling pretty droopy. (Being hypothyroid is really bad for that, even with meds.)

I do Callanetics 3-5 days a week, and I love it. It's more like yoga or pilates than Turbo Jam or something like that. (And I did buy Turbo Jam once. :lol: That kind of thing was not for me!) If you're interested, I can hook you up with a copy to try before you buy. Just let me know, and I'll give you the details.

hippiechyk
Sat, Dec-13-08, 09:21
thanks Bev...i'll see if my library has a copy, or i'll get back to you via PM about the freebie :thup:

is there just a "general chat" area around here? i can't seem to find it :help:

hippiechyk
Sat, Dec-13-08, 09:44
PHOOEY! i lost my 3 Fat Chicks ticker...i like those

oh well, i have a fun holiday one now ;)