PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those moments.......

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kasstout
Sun, Nov-23-08, 13:35
Hi everyone, Im kassie. Im 26 years old, i just got married in april and i work for a hospice organization. If theres one thing to know about working in healthcare it that we are so busy taking care of everyone else, that we often neglect ourselves. My job requires me to be in the car for hours at a time. I found myself living off fastfood, soda(not diet) and cigarettes. It was nothing for me to wake up at 7am, drink coffee till noon, grab a 32oz mt dew and a snickers and then not eat again until maybe 8pm. Then i would make spaghetti or hamburger helper. Finish off my night with a few beers and collapse into bed around 10pm.
I felt tired. I felt uncomfortable in clothes other than scrubs. Everytime i moved i had to readjust my clothing. I felt self concious and fat. I felt unhealthy. My husband and friends have always told me that i was beautiful. I have never had trouble getting dates. Nobody had ever commented or made fun of my weight. I tricked myself into thinking that maybe i was supposed to look like this. So who cares what i ate or drank. Who cares if "they" dont. Why at 26 years old did i have a drawer full of body shapers and control top underwear? Why. Was it because my mother had been a yoyo dieter my whole life and had me going to jazzercise and weight watchers with her at the age of 5? Was it because noone had ever pointed out to me that i was huge. maybe if i had been made fun of i would have caught this problem before it became so large.
My moment of awakening came when i wasnt looking for it. (Which i believe is when the best things in life do come to you). I was at a patients house on thursday morning and she wanted to weigh her self. I helped her do so and figured "hell, i havent been on a scale for months, why not" I think i weighed around 220lbs in april for my wedding. I almost had a stroke when the scale read 233lbs. Thats 13lbs in 7months. WHAT!!!!! I decided to make a change at that very moment. I sat and looked at what i lived off of. SUGAR. no veggies,no fruits hardly any protein. no water. sugar and caffeine. im surprised i havent had a stroke yet.
I started doing some research that night and realized that not only was i gaining weight from my lifestyle, but a million other things were because of all that sugar. My bipolar cycles were more rapid and severe, i have pcos, insomnia, tiredness, moodswings, cystitis, acne, cavities, indegestion, headaches and the list goes on.
My first day of lcing was not so bad(i think because i was busy at work and really mad). Second day ok. Saturday was day 3 and it was a hard one. I realized so much about my body that i didnt know. I was unable to distinguish being hungry from being bored. I just drank water everytime i felt hungry. I stayed online for hours looking at support groups and success stories and weight height charts and grocery lists and recipes. I felt like a drug addict coming down. I stuck it out. I could not sleep last night. When i got up this morning i felt amazing. I wasnt hungry. I have not had any shakes, or headaches or constant thinking of food like the last 2 days. I dont even feel like eating snacks. My husband says im crazy for starting this right before the holidays but for the first time in my life i am not unsure of myself. I havent even cheated or thought about cheating. I make two different meals one for my carbaholic husband and one for me.
I know that was a lot of words for an intro but i dont really have anyone to talk to about this journey. My friends think im crazy for doing it, my husband says he loves me just the way i am. But I DONT.
What i would like to get from this site is any advice or tips people have to offer. I love reading success stories. I have no idea how much weight i need to lose. Some charts say a 5'10 female should weigh between 133 and 170. I honestly think i would look like death warmed over if i only weighed that much but who knows....I never have. Thanks for readin, cant wait to meet you all.

Blondie888
Sun, Nov-23-08, 14:46
Hello and Welcome, Kassie! :wave:

It sounds like you are really determined to do this, and I know you can.

If you want, you can start a journal in the journal section. That way, people can stop by with support and advice.

I saw you have your goal weight as 140, and that's really low for your height. Everyone carries their weight differently, but unless you're extremely small-boned, you should be able to weigh quite a bit more than that and be happy with how you look. You might want to compare pants sizes, or scrubs sizes. Sometimes clothes will show more difference than the scale.

Best of luck to you!

Calidiet
Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:08
Hello! I am new to this too, on day 7. I have had good and bad days, but I just push through. It's great you are taking control of your weight! Just keep thinking about how great you are going to feel in your clothes soon!

zodea
Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:09
eek! 5'10 with a goal of 140???

That does sound like a very LOW number. I would set your goal for the upper end of your weight range. Once you get their, you can re-evaluate how you feel and decided if you really need to lose more weight.

I am 5'2" and my goal is 140 pounds. Now I am hoping that when I get there, I will be able to get down a bit more... but that is a weight my doctor recommended and at 44 years old .... it does seem reasonable. I have set what I think is a reasonable goal and think I can actually get there. (I hope so... my Mom says when she gets below 150 pounds she starts to feel tired and just can't keep the weight off. She is not a low carb person, but that's how she feels. Of course she's also 29 years older than me.)

What ever you do, GOOD LUCK! Listen to your body. It sounds like as you approach your ideal weight, you just stop losing or only lose SLOWLY.

zodea

Annie1gi
Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:11
Hello Kassie and welcome to the forum, if you look at my stats you will see I started out at 333 lbs, yeah, bad! But if I can do it, and I am doing it, so can you.

Crazy, no your not crazy, just enlightened. Go for it.

May I suggest you start a journal of your own? Really helps.

Browse around, there are really wonderful ppl here.

Best to you! :wave:

Annie

Bru88
Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:18
Hi Kassie welcome to the forums, best of luck..Bru :wave:

CValentine
Sun, Nov-23-08, 15:24
HI Kassie!

I am a tall one too, at 5'9".
I am currently at 165 & look pretty good(sz12), but I do remember how good I looked at 152 (sz9). Start with some mini goals & work it down from there. 157 is a good number if you have a med-small frame. Go up from there.
Good luck & don't forget to take your measurements, so when you dont seee a scale loss, you know you'll see something coming off on the tape! ~Cheryl

Kisal
Sun, Nov-23-08, 19:11
Welcome! It's nice to have you with us! :wave:

kasstout
Sun, Nov-23-08, 19:16
I am glad that most of you agree that 140 is too low. I am trying to put a picture on here so people can tell me if i have a large or medium frame. i havent seen my actual frame for so long i forgot wat it looks like!!!!

jschwab
Sun, Nov-23-08, 21:12
At your weight you could probably find one of those frame tests on the Internet that has you measure your wrist to figure out your frame size. I used to be a medium frame when I was heavier and now it tells me I'm a small frame.

ladylaughs
Sun, Nov-23-08, 23:05
Hi and welcome to this great place. :wave:

xjennjennx
Tue, Nov-25-08, 09:52
Hi and welcome! I agree with most here that 140 would be too low for your height. I'm 5'7 with a goal of 150 (that's where I felt most comfortable years and years ago)

Maybe look around the challenge board and join one! That's honestly one thing that keeps me motivated and keeps me going is having a circle of friends there to reassure me when I'm feeling down.

I guess we all have a moment of truth that makes us realize it's now or never, when mine hit...it hit like a ton of bricks at a Family Reunion on Labor Day. I have my days and have had my cheats but then I remember why I'm doing this...for ME! So I get right back on as soon as possible.

Good Luck!!!