PDA

View Full Version : [BFL] New BFLer--Couple of ??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MrsSPA
Tue, Mar-26-02, 17:50
Hi Everyone,

I started my first challenge yesterday. I've been lurking about here for the past few days and figured I might as well post!!

I'm 32 years old and have struggled with my weight all my life. I have had the BFL book since it first came out back in 1999 and I did some of the exercising once, but then quit. I have done WW, Atkins and just about every other diet known to man. My DH and I have been doing Atkins off and on since November. I recently saw a friend I hadn't seen in awhile and she looks FABULOUS. I asked what she was doing and she said BFL. So I drug the ol' book out again and got motivated!! I really would like to try to get pregnant within the next year or so but not at this weight.

I have done pretty well yesterday and today, but as far as the eating goes, do I need to be overly concerned with numbers (as in fat, carb and protein grams) or more concerned with portions? I've read a lot here and on other forums and I see people talking about 1 protein gram for every 1 pound of LBM, etc. I guess I want to stick with the book pretty closely (if that is what works the best) for this first challenge and the book doesn't go into detailed numbers. I'm one of those who can over analyze ANYTHING so maybe I need to just keep it simple.

I guess what I'm asking is, if I have a portion of protein and a portion of carb, do they need to be equal (or close to equal) grams of each? Like if it's 25 protein should I find something that is 25 carbs to go with it?

To tell you the truth, after being on Atkins I'm kind of freaked out about adding carbs. I think most of mine will be added in the form of fruits instead of rice or grains most of the time anyway, because fruit is what I missed the most on Atkins.

The other question is, do I have to count the carbs in the vegetables that go with two of the six meals a day? Should I be going for lower carb veggies?

I just got some Myoplex that I ordered from Netrition. I had already ordered it when I started reading around and learning that I should have gotten Myoplex lite since I want to burn more fat. But as long as I'm staying under a certain number of calories a day does it matter which one I use? The Lite kinda scares me because it has soy protein in it and so far everything I've ever tasted with soy is icky to me.

Okay I guess that's it. Didn't mean for it to be a book! I appreciate all the help and info I've gotten here so far and I look forward to posting more and getting to know you all!

Natrushka
Tue, Mar-26-02, 19:33
Hi there Meredith :) Welcome to the forum and to BFL!

As you're going to be doing the program by the book, you should aim for carbs and protein to be equal at each of your meals. There's no rule that says you have to use the complex stratchy carbs if you don't want to. I've managed to get my carbs up over 100g a day w/o touching grains. Focus on fruits and veggies, yoghurt and cottage cheese (low fat, if you're going that route). I understand completely your trepidation about increasing the carbs - but it can be done w/o too much discomfort (a little gas is unavoidable).

The numbers I have from the BFL BBS I frequent are 1-1.3g of protein per lb of LBM. Carbs and protein should be equal and roughly 40% each of your daily calories. You can get some helpful information from Dr. Hussman (www.hussman.org/fitness) on protein, carbs and calorie requirements.

As for the veggies - eat them and count the carbs, if you want. This is where the water gets muddy. With BFL as written you don't really count anything - but doing BFL like most of us on this forum do, we count everything. If you want to count, then count. I know that not having a detailed list of my protein/carbs/fats for the day throws me right off.

Check out Hussman for calories - but never go under 1500 calories a day. Take what you learned from LC and run with it - restricting calories too much isnt a good idea.

Happy Lifting!
Nat

MrsSPA
Tue, Mar-26-02, 20:01
Thanks for answering Nat! I feel like I've learned so much from you already!

I can do fruits and veggies, yogurt and cottage cheese. I wasn't sure that I liked cottage cheese until last night. I mixed it with the yogurt as suggested in BFL and it was actually quite tasty. It's so hard to get used to buying low fat again though, on the yogurt and cottage cheese.

Okay, so I should be having around 176 g protein a day, but I don't want 176 g carbs do I??? Could I eat my carbs for the day in a couple of meals with protein and then eat protein and veggies only for the other meals or do I HAVE to combine P and C? Boy now that I have the low carb ingrained in my head, it's hard to get around and accept something different!!! lol

I guess I don't HAVE to do anything but die and pay taxes! :D

One more thing. I keep reading a lot of these BFL recipes and they call for a lot of different ingredients to marinade chicken in, etc. Do any of those count or am I just focused on P & C, 1 portion each, regardless of how they are prepared (not fried or breaded of course)? There I go again, wanting to count EVERY carb I put in my mouth!!!

Okay off to read more.

Thanks in advance for putting up with this newbie's questions!

Natrushka
Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:28
Originally posted by MrsSPA
Could I eat my carbs for the day in a couple of meals with protein and then eat protein and veggies only for the other meals or do I HAVE to combine P and C? Boy now that I have the low carb ingrained in my head, it's hard to get around and accept something different!!! lol

I'd say that if you're going to count then count everything, including the spices in the recipes. What I do with things I make and eat a lot of is make them a custom food with www.fitday.com I have a second account that I use to enter all the recipe info and then break it down by serving. I enter the numbers for the serving size into my 'real' fitday account as a custom food. Makes life easier. And I get my counts.

If you are following BFL by the book then you should be having carbs w/ every meal. If you want some ideas as to by the book meals have a look through the www.leanandstrong.com site - there is a daily menu thread where you can compare notes. I'd be very careful about mentioning LC though - they can be quite militant about eating low fat ;)

Nat

TerrieP
Thu, Mar-28-02, 13:03
Just use 1/2 the package of Myoplex and you cut the calories in 1/2. I have used regular Myoplex because it is a better value when you use 1/2 a package for one shake. I also use way more water then they tell you to use.

The Myoplex low carb shakes are great too, especially the ready made ones. I switched to the low carb shakes once the original shakes were done. Also the cheapest place to get the shakes on the web is www.vitaglo.com. Free shipping w/$20 order or more.

Good luck on your new adventure.

I am in C1W8D4 and love it!

wbahn
Thu, Mar-28-02, 14:01
Thanks for the pointer on a cheap place to get some EAS products. They are NOT inexpensive and every little bit helps.

Cheers!

MrsSPA
Thu, Mar-28-02, 16:41
Yes thanks for the advice about the shakes. I will try using half the package. I'm sure if I do that and add more water they won't be as thick, obviously! This morning I was like WHOA! They taste good but they take a LONG time to drink.

I've heard good things about the low carb ready to drink ones but I've been a little hesitant. I usually do not like ready to drink shakes AT ALL. That and they make me so bloated.

I tell you what, I did the LBWO yesterday and today I'm walking around like a 90 year old lady! I've done squats and lunges before, but never with weights and I thought I was going to die! I've been doing Bikram yoga for the past three months (that's the HOT kind where the room is heated) and I was so impressed with how strong my legs were getting. NOT! :eek: I'm hoping to get some glutamine before the next LBWO! I haven't been that sore with the UBWO. OUCH

I'm doing better with the eating, not obsessing AS much, just trying to keep it simple. I do feel good and I'm never hungry so something must be working right. I've had to only eat 5 meals the past couple of days though because even if I get up by 9 I run out of time to eat...I don't want to be eating at 11 pm or later!

Thanks again for everyone's advice. It really helps and I know you know what you're talking about because you have results!

BTW Nat, I printed out all of Hussman's info so I wouldn't have to sit here at the 'puter and read it. It's made for a really interesting read every night at bedtime. It's also interesting to find out that most of the BFL champions have not really followed it PURELY by the book, but have tweaked it quite a bit. I know you gotta do what you gotta do though. I'm going to keep going by the book at least for C1 and then see what I need (or want) to do.

Have a great evening everyone!

Meredith