PDA

View Full Version : Hi to all, 55yr old male newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

GtownKen
Tue, Nov-11-08, 15:54
I have been on Atkins several times in the past, but only once seriously. I have ultimately failed each time and now here I am again, fat, unhealthy and doubting if I can manage this.

I started induction last week and so far I am just fine. No real issues other than wondering about hidden carbs. Replaced equal with splenda just today. Decaf starts tomorrow a.m. Is there a cola type drink that is sweetened with Splenda? Is vienna sausage or bologna bad? I know it's processed. Mostly all I eat is tuna, sausage and eggs. Already am wearing jeans that were impossible only a week ago. I have no urge to weigh and don't check for ketosis. I feel pretty confident that I am not breaking the induction rules.

Strangely, I am not craving anything (breads, fruits and sweets) to date. I also feel strangely calm and totally alert. (Even when I wake up at 3 am I am relaxed). Is this to good to be true? Thanks all. I know, I know....there are things to come.

ps I hope to lose 50 lbs by spring...

Kisal
Tue, Nov-11-08, 20:07
Welcome! It sounds like you're doing very well! :thup:

Diet-Rite Pure Zero cola ... and their other flavors ... are sweetened with Splenda and have no caffeine. I really enjoy them. I also sometimes buy Hansen's diet sodas. They also are sweetened with Splenda and are caffeine free. There are many flavors in that line, too. :yum:

If you search around a little bit, you'll probably be able to find some decent sausage and bologna that have no high fructose corn syrup, corn solids, and/or the like. I also make my own sometimes. It's quite a simple process, although I just make loose sausage, not the kind in casings. When you're at the deli, just say that you need to see the label on the processed meat, because you cannot have any kind of sugar. I have successfully found a store that sells sugar-free pepperoni and some smoked chicken sausages that I especially like.

Now, this bit is just my opinion, and it's your choice if you prefer to be stricter than I if you so choose. I will accept a deli meat or sausage that has sugar listed in the ingredients, as long as it's way down toward the end of the list, such as the third or second to last ingredient. The Best Foods/Hellman's mayo I use contains sugar like that, too. It's really extremely difficult to completely avoid sugar, unless you're willing to make all your own food from scratch. However, I absolutely 100% avoid HFCS, corn syrup, and corn solids! I think they're really bad for one's health. I do make a lot of my food from scratch, but sometimes it just gets to be a pain in the neck -- as well as another part of the anatomy! :lol:

GtownKen
Wed, Nov-12-08, 12:40
Thanks for the welcome. I needed that. Your advice is good and I will try to heed it. The high-carb lifestyle has never served me well...hope I make it this time. Take care....

Jenai
Wed, Nov-12-08, 13:22
Sounds like you are off to a good start. If the pants are loose and you are calm and not craving anything - I don't see any reason to doubt you will suceed. I am wondering because you didn't mention - are you eating ANY veggies? Best of luck and welcome from a fellow newcomer.......
J~

Bru88
Wed, Nov-12-08, 14:38
Ken welcome to the forums. Sounds like your off to a great beginning, best of luck...Bru

LMMS
Wed, Nov-12-08, 15:27
Ken,

Sounds like you are doing great. Especially if you are calm. I did the Atkins game a few times but not too well. I just knew that this time was for life. Kind of like the last time I quit smoking. It was the LAST time. Great, you are losing weight. I agree with Kisal in looking at the packages and see where sugar is. It really is how much you want to make yourself. I am a lazy cook so I buy stuff and it has a bit of sugar in it but I agree it depends on how strict you want to be. I do stay away from Nitrates in processed meats if at all possible but my DH eats bacon with some sugar and nitrates and he loses. You really start to learn about what your body does well with and what it doesn't.

As for diet soda. The first month I only drank water. Hard because I was a diet coke junkie. The first month, no splenda or any sweetners. I calmed down after that but I still kept to only water. I accidentally found out I like it. :lol: :lol:

You sound like you are going to do great. It's nice to have some more guys in here. You guys have lots to add. Do you keep track of what you eat on MyPlan or Fitday.com? They are great to see what you actually get in you if you are worried about hidden carbs.

Good luck!!!!!

Lisa

GtownKen
Wed, Nov-12-08, 15:39
Hi Jenai,

Only a small tossed salad w/ O&V and sprinkled cheese once a day. How are you coming along?

GtownKen
Wed, Nov-12-08, 16:11
Hi Lisa,

Since I am normally not a calm person, "always a tad jumpy and on edge" , this easy feeling is quite a treat. I am as impressed with this as any weight loss that may come. Of course, I'm waiting for that bubble to burst. Usually if something comes too easy, beware.

I think, in a few weeks, I will start with some journal activity. But for now I just want to keep my head down and not think about too much. Thanks for posting to me...I will try to participate more as I become more comfortable with this forum.

GtownKen
Wed, Nov-12-08, 16:18
Hi Bru,

Thanks for the encouragement. I see that you like to turn wood. I've been a carpenter for most of my adult life. Can't think of a better way to spend most days. Take care...

LMMS
Wed, Nov-12-08, 16:18
Ken,

That sounds like a good idea. I think I am really concerned, A type personality, a little (okay lots) obsessive, and everything else but I am calm still about this and I started seriously at the end of July. It will become a way of life. If you want to work on you and not have a journal, that is cool. Just be sure to ask any questions you might have to anyone here. There are some really smart people here that are willing to help you at anytime with anything. Good luck, stay calm, and you will do fantastic!!!!

Lisa :wave:

Jenai
Thu, Nov-13-08, 10:38
Hi Jenai,

Only a small tossed salad w/ O&V and sprinkled cheese once a day. How are you coming along?

Thanks for asking......
SLOW - much slower than last time. I drink to much coffee and heavy cream with DaVinci syrup. Other than that, I am legal but eat more than nessecary - I sometimes forget or am to busy to eat till afternoon and then want to eat all night till bedtime. I may be one of those that has to cut down calories.
Best of luck and let us know when you decide to start a journal.
J~

IrishShrty
Thu, Nov-13-08, 12:33
Hi Ken, welcome to the forums! Best of luck on your adventure!
This is a way of LIFE, stop waiting for the shoe to drop and run with the boots on! It is what you make it, your in charge:)

Bru88
Thu, Nov-13-08, 19:14
Hey Ken just checking back to see how your doing. Hope every thing is going smoothly. Yep I do like turning wood, do a little flat work also. I'll bet you could show me a few things, I do this stuff for fun. Like you say, great way to spend a day. Hope things are well. Sorry I didn't see your reply, until now. Take care, drop by if you have any questions...Bru :wave: