PDA

View Full Version : Linda V new to forum help with sweets!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Linda V
Sun, Nov-09-08, 12:45
Hello guys, I have done the south beach years ago and it worked for me. My biggest cravings however are sweets, especially chocolate. I hate & dispise artificial sweetners (Aspartane is banned in Europe for good reason, methanol in it coverts to formaldihyde in the body)...I would love any tips for a "sweet" snack, besides fresh fruit that won't interfere too much with weight loss.

All the best,
Lindsa V

SandyDown
Sun, Nov-09-08, 12:55
Aspartane is banned in Europe

huh?? :eek: :eek: ??? when did this happen??

Unfortunately Aspartame its not banned in Europe ;)

Welcome to the forum, am not an expert on SB, but we have an SB subforum here and am sure others will help. I usually have fruit (I try to stick to berries, but sometimes I venture further a field :) ) but I also use both splenda and xylitol (we don't have stevia here in the UK)

Kisal
Sun, Nov-09-08, 13:31
Welcome, Linda! Nice to have you here! :)

Have you tried Stevia? I don't care for it, myself, but I understand it has been improved since I last tried it. It's a natural, herbal sweetener, that has been used for hundreds of years. Many low carbers like it.

My personal opinion, though, is that you're better off just avoiding sweets. You're addicted to them, and just like any other addictive substance, if you eat it, you will crave more. If you can get through a few weeks without any sweets, you will most likely stop your cravings.

Also, new research indicates that, for some people, just the taste of sweetness can cause the pancreas to excrete a lot of insulin. It doesn't matter whether the sweet taste comes from a real sugar or an artificial sweetener, the results are the same.

cindy_cfid
Wed, Nov-12-08, 17:46
You could make a sugar free cheesecake. My favorite easy sweet treat is 2 TB flax seed, water, scrambled with egg, sweetener, cinnamon and I put a little block of cream cheese in the middle. Nuke it for 3 min. Cream, frozen strawberries, sweetener and a stick blender makes fast ice cream.