PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NM

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dana03
Fri, Oct-24-08, 12:47
Hello everyone!! I am new to the LC diet. My mother has done it for years and maintains her weight very well so she suggested I give it a shot. I've been on it Since late August and have done pretty well. If only I could stay away from the bread!!!! I've had a hard time trying to not eat bread!! For some reason I just dont feel full unless I eat it. Any suggestions???

tlb1017
Sat, Oct-25-08, 10:00
For me, the only solution was total abstinence. I had to get it out of my house, my office, etc and replace it with things I was able to eat without cheating (or cheating as badly), like beef jerky, peanuts, etc. I've tried low-carb breads and cakes, but I disliked the taste/texture and found it easier over time just to do without. I've read that continuing eating the carbs, actually triggers you to crave more. If you can stop taking it in, you'll start to not crave it and will feel full. Hope this helps!

zodea
Sat, Oct-25-08, 10:13
Have you tried the oopsie roll?

I find it really helps me. It's not so much that it tastes like bread, but it acts like bread. I use it in sandwhiches all the time. When I make it, I spread it out on a cookie sheet *the kind with an edge around it* and then cut it into bread sized pieces. I sometimes thinks it's the sandwiches I miss more than the bread.

It has amazing abilties to being held up and eaten.... just like bread. I've even used it to make grilled cheese (that one wasn't the best experiment... but I still felt good eating it.)

Cleochatra's Best Ever Revol-Oopsie Rolls
3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6~ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per

Many, many thanks to Cleopatra for this recipe!!!
zodea

dana03
Sun, Oct-26-08, 16:32
Thank you both so much for your advise. I've tried to keep it out of my house but I have a 5 year old boy!! I'm getting better and I do agree the low carb breads are not that tasty!!!
And thanks for the bread reciepe I will have to give that one a shot!!!

Bru88
Sun, Oct-26-08, 18:33
Dana check out the recipe section all kinds of breads and rolls. Flax bread and muffins, just made flax meal sausage stuffing the other day with a big roast turkey!

Tishy
Sun, Oct-26-08, 20:31
Hey there from Albuquerque :). I find that the low carb tortillas from wal mart work great for the bread cravings. But ONLY if they are heated up directly on the stoves gas flame. It gives it that just off the griddle tortilla taste