PDA

View Full Version : Nervous.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ashesblue
Tue, Oct-14-08, 14:12
Hi!
My name is Amber, I am 31 years old and I have a goal to lose 30-35lbs. I have done several low-carb diets in the past, but it's been a long long time.
Nearly 10 years! Since then I have had a son who is 5 years old and I gained 45lbs w/my pregnancy. I slowly lost the weight over a 2 year period, but then I started on medication that really messed me up and I gained a lot of the weight back.

I have really struggled to lose weight but was never in w/my full heart. I did the Jenny Craig thing about two years ago but didnt exercise. I also got bored of the food and then just gave up.
I bought a stationary recumbant bike a couple of months ago. For the past two months I have been using it relgiously. That is a big big deal for me, as I *hate* to exercise!

Currently Ive been doing about 40-45miles a week, which is usually 40-60mins a work out. I also do arm strength training w/two pound weights while Im on the bike for about 15 mins as well as stomach crunches.

I have been working on my eating habits but realize I really need to get going w/it and think that low-carb is my best bet to eating healthy, losing weight and staying healthy.

It's been so long since Ive done the low carb lifestyle I am nervous and not sure where to start. The obvious thing for me to eat is salad w/chicken.
But after that...I feel lost ha! ugh. :help:
One thing that seems to be a staple for a lot of low carbers is eggs and I cant stand eggs, Ive tried and I just cant eat them.

Im a major carb-o-holic and I always feel like I "deserve" to eat what I want to eat and I feel like Im less than others that seem to eat whatever they want and still be thin. Like if we werent suppose to eat all this food why is it available? Totally not rational but yeah.

So now what?

Backtoslim
Tue, Oct-14-08, 14:29
Welcome! As someone who doesn't feel like eating protein (I could easily go weeks without looking at meat, now I eat 4 tins of sardines a day) and who enjoys sugary treats I know what it's like, we all do!

Losing weight isn't easy, if it were we'd all be slim (stating the obvious...).

I have been dieting on and off over the years and have learnt one thing: what works for one person may not work for another and what works one time may not work another time.

I know about exercise - I hate it too and it stimulates my appetite, which is why I don't bother. I also have a reward 'treat' every half kilogram (every pound).

Welcome, try out different things and see what happens.

Kisal
Tue, Oct-14-08, 14:50
Welcome! I'm glad you're here with us! :)

There is soooo much you can eat besides eggs! Here are some recipe links for you to examine. You can find our Kitchen forum here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

At the top of each sub-forum (breakfasts, main dishes, etc.), there is a Sticky that lists all the Induction acceptable recipes in that category. Just click on any that interest you.

Linda Sue has a great site with excellent recipes:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

And you mustn't miss out on Cleochatra's recipes:

http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/

Just scroll down on that page until you see the list of recipes in the right-hand margin. Click on any that sound good to you. :wave:

nothnkbhnd
Tue, Oct-14-08, 14:55
I've found that I have to find hte type of exercise that compliments what I am doing. I've read lots of different sources, and found that for my chemical makeup, consitutional type, metabolic type, etc .... I need high energy workouts. So I am better off doing 20 minutes of functional training than to walk for an hour. Maybe try different things until you find something that works? Stretching can do wonders! Yoga is fun. For others, hiking is great. I would encourage you to search until you find what works for you!

Ashesblue
Tue, Oct-14-08, 15:46
Wow thanks for the responses!
Im thinking that the biking *is* really working for me. Partly because I hate running even more and I have a petite frame w/FLAT feet and this extra weight is just too hard on my body to jog or even walk a lot.

Biking gets my heartrate up, it's low impact so my feet and body dont suffer. Also after about 20mins I get into a "mode" where it becomes much easier and then I can go another 20mins. For the last couple of days Ive been doing like two 20-30 min bike sessions and so I end up doing about 12-14 miles a day.

I appreciate the recipe links, I would like to buy some books but money is tight right now I cant really afford to do that. I looked at our online public library catalog and they didnt have one of the books I wanted.

So Im just going to see what I can find online and go from there.
Im thinking I want to do some somersizing, IE eat fruit that's lower in carbs imbetween the no-carb meals.

I need to look around here, Im not very good at message boards they tend to overwhelm me, and I dont know where to look first!

Thanks again!

JLx
Tue, Oct-14-08, 17:08
Doesn't your library have an interlibrary loan program? I live in a small town and I can get most books I want that way as it belongs to a regional library cooperative. You might want to check with them and see. I can inquire and put anything I find I want to request on hold right on line.