PDA

View Full Version : [CKD] too weak to make it to friday

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

b-ready
Fri, Mar-22-02, 11:26
i started the ckd way on monday.. and ate low carb and worked out.. but by wednesday.. my muscles were gone! i couldnt go any longer.. i think i worked out to hard.. i had a headache all the time and i was weak.. is it possible to start your carb up then.. obviously i needed some.. i worked out everyday and played tennis at night.. i push myself to the limit when i work out.. i went ahead and ate a dinner with carbs and the next day i felt 100% better. so i dont see how it is possible to do atkins and exercise at your fullest potential.. you will pass out!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

fern2340
Fri, Mar-22-02, 11:36
When you say you exercised everyday, what type of exercise do you mean? You shouldn't be lifting everyday. I have been doing a CKD (this round) for a while and I get good workouts during the week. When I first started this CKD, I got a massive headache-- AKA carb withdrawal. It lasted a day and I got over it. Have I ever felt really weak? Not really...I am depleted of carbs on Friday so sometimes I feel kind of blah during Fri night's workout but never to the point that I feel like i will pass out.

Let me know exactly what type of exercise you did on those days and exactly what you ate and maybe I can help some more.

Linda

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-22-02, 11:39
B-ready what kind of exercise are you doing? Are you following Atkins or a CKD? I'm confused :confused:

What you described sounds like carb w/drawal- unless you've been doing LC for a while. In which case it sounds like you need some potassium and a few more carbs. This applies to LC in general and not to a CKD - herein lies my confusion.

When increasing exercise and activity a light rise in carbs is usually required so you do not 'bonk'. If you're following a CKD please disregard and wait for some advice from Trainerdan :)

Nat

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-22-02, 11:40
Originally posted by Natrushka
If you're following a CKD please disregard and wait for some advice from Trainerdan :)

Oopps, or Fern :)

Nat

b-ready
Fri, Mar-22-02, 11:44
okay...
workouts..
i was exercising everyday (except sat,sun) ... i would alternate my limbs.. but i also started playing tennis on weekends so i guess i am still working out.. i was so sore it is ridiculous and my headaches lasted a long time.. i drank water took a multi and hydroxycut.. I lost no weight. i gained.. but i knew what that was.. muscle.. because all my clothes all of a sudden feel better..
so i wanna continue to do this..
*my eating habits..
breakfast-eggs and bacon
lunch-salad (small) chicken or sausage and cucumbers
dinner-hot wings or pork chop and salad..
(i know that i was not getting enough carbs.. 14 per day)
side note.. i noticed that you eat keto chips.. are they good?
*also, do you play basketball AND work out.. its seems you should be depleted of carbs early as well..
*is this plan for people who dont have that much weight to loose?
*i had another question but it left me..
thanks alot again..!!

b-ready
Fri, Mar-22-02, 11:47
oh! and im on the quadrafit site now looking for more answers...

fern2340
Fri, Mar-22-02, 11:54
LOL Nat, :)

B-ready,
Your muscles need time to recuperate so you should not be lifting everyday. I lift M-W-F and do AM cardio 2-3 times a week (trying to start keeping this at 3 times!). I do play basketball also (so yes, I workout and play ball)... I haven't been as much lately but I did last week for the first time in a while. I felt GREAT afterwards, not depleted!

As far as your menu, you are not getting enough calories!! If that is all you are eating, that is not enough! (keto chips are not that great, kind of cardboardy tasting but I eat them when I either havent had time to make anything else or I really want something crunchy!) 14 carbs are not enough either, especially when you are working out heavy.

Hope this helps!
Linda

b-ready
Fri, Mar-22-02, 11:56
i love to get every perspective.. i know that low carb works and i have a personal interest in it.. i have ready almost every book (i like to read) BFL, CAD, atkins, PP, Montignac, Sugar busters, The wrinkle cure, (didnt bother with somersize), and a couple more .. i am trying to find the one that really works for my lifestyle.. my mother is hypoglycemic and we suffered alot thru our life because no one knew what is was.. it was SUGAR!.. it wasnt until years later that she just passed out and a knowledgable doctor tested her all week and found taht her insulin would rise and fall quickly and above normal and she would have a fit.. most doctors try to give you ONE glucose test..NOTE TO EVERYONE.. THIS DOES NOT TELL WHETHER YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BLOOD SUGAR.. you need a continuous test because they may catch you at the wrong time.. anyway.. do yo think potassium will help.. i think i got some of those here... (she also works at a vitamin store)...

b-ready
Fri, Mar-22-02, 12:02
i guess you should only low calorie it if you dont exercise.. i was looking at ellieeats success and she didnt eat much.. her calories were around 900 or less.. so i guess i was wrong about that...
i just getting carbaphobic i guess.. anyway.. i check the keto stick and i went from nothing to almost of the chart.. i think that was dangerous because that was the time when i was feeling like a dead person..
FERN: do you work out all your body in one day or do you break up arms and legs? if you break up arms and legs.. how do you get is all in on mwf?

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-22-02, 12:12
B-ready, I agree with Fern here, you're not eating enough for the amount of exercise you're doing - and not nearly enough carbs. Potassium would have been more an issue had you been eating a reasonable about and getting sufficient carbs. I think that increasing your intake in both departments will take care of your exhaustion.

Nat

P.S. 900 calories isnt how LC is supposed to be done. Most of us have tried calorie restriction - it's a diet, not a WOL.

fern2340
Fri, Mar-22-02, 12:12
I break up body parts when I weight train...
Here is an example of what I did 2 weeks ago (I have lifted since then but have not been good with posting it! Once I complete my workout tonight, I'll post the week's lifting so you can check out my gym log)

Monday 3/4
Lifted at night
Incline Dumbbell Curls 20 x8, 25 x6, 25 x4
Standing Cable Curls 3 sets of 12 (light, pump sets) 20 for all 3 sets
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 45 x8, 55 x6, 70 x4
Seated Calf Raises 70 x12, 90 x10, 110 x8
Crunches on exercise ball 3 sets of 12

Wed 3/6
Lift at night
3 sets x8,x6,x4
Incline Dumbbell Flyes 30,40,40
Pec Dec Flyes 50,70,90 lbs
Lateral Dumbbell Raises 30,50,60 lbs (machine)
Skullcrushers 30,30,40 lbs
3 sets of 12
Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extensions 15 lbs for all 3 (light, pump sets)
Plyometric Crunches

Fri 3/8
Lifted at night
3 sets x8,x6,x4
Seated row 40,60,80
One-arm row 20,20,25 lbs
Reverse Pec Deck 40,50,60
Leg Extensions 50,60,70
Leg Press 110,130,150

3 sets of 12
Abs: Bicycles

You can see that I split up body parts and still get them all in! Monday I do biceps/hamstrings and calves/one ab exercuse
Wed I do chest/tricep/one ab exercise
Fri I do back/quads/ one ab exercise

900 or less calorie intake is WAY too low! If you are exercising and working out heavy, your muscles need more than that to feed them! Try eating more and I bet you will better during the week!

fern2340
Fri, Mar-22-02, 12:14
Nat-
We're on the same page today! Posting similar info and at the same time!!! :D

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-22-02, 12:18
:D ;)

It's great seeing you around more on the boards, Fern.

Nat

fern2340
Fri, Mar-22-02, 12:31
Well, now that I am laid off but still have to stay here until the end of April....I am just sitting on the Internet all day. I get here late, I get to spend time on the board, and I leave early! I could get used to this!! :D

Natrushka
Fri, Mar-22-02, 13:08
Originally posted by fern2340
I get here late, I get to spend time on the board, and I leave early! I could get used to this!! :D

*lol* Sounds suspiciously like my job 3 days of the week! While finding one with more pay would be great, the perk of having to be 'online' all day does have some advantages!

Nat