PDA

View Full Version : Scallops with Sour Cream

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Karla
Thu, Mar-21-02, 19:19
Since I have found so many great recipes here, I must post my favorite recipe for scallops. I have been making this for years, and it didn't even require any changes to make it low carb. I promise it is excruciatingly delicious and very easy. :dazzle:

Scallops with Sour Cream

1 pound scallops, bay or sea
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 T. butter
1 T. flour
1 cup sour cream
5 T. butter, softened
1 tsp. imported soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
paprika

Poach the scallops 3 - 5 minutes in stock, water, wine, or any combination thereof, with a bay leaf and a couple of parsley sprigs. Place the scallops (without the bay and parsley) in a buttered shallow baking dish just large enough to hold them in one layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

In a skillet saute the mushrooms in the 3 T butter until they are browned and transfer them to a bowl. Mix mushrooms with flour, stir in the sour cream, softened butter, soy sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.

Pour sauce over scallops, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika.

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Serves 4.

The entire recipe has: 25.5 grams carbs
105.5 grams fat
93.7 grams protein

Per serving: 6.4 grams carbs
26.4 grams fat
23.4 grams protein

I used to serve this over rice, but now I serve it over cauliflower that has been shredded raw with the food processor and sauteed in butter. You could probably serve it with shredded and sauteed zucchini as well, but I haven't tried that.

Bon apetit!

Karla

TVMichelle
Fri, Jan-21-05, 11:42
Karla, I realize that you posted this recipe LOOONG ago, but it looks absolutely fabulous! I'm from Connecticut originally, so I'm thrilled to have a scallop recipe - I miss my seafood!

Thanks again,
Michelle

Karla
Fri, Jan-21-05, 14:43
Michelle,

I'm glad you're glad! Let me know how you like this recipe; it is one of my favorites!

Karla

Warpraise
Thu, Feb-10-05, 16:39
I made this tonight for dinner with cauliflower "fried rice"/ Very filling! Thanks! :)

TVMichelle
Fri, Feb-11-05, 17:19
Karla, I can't believe this recipe hasn't generated more posts! I made it last night and it was fantastic! It is a little prep-heavy - 2 skillets and a casserole dish - but it was great. It reminded me and my husband of Coquilles St. Jacques, so next time, I'm going to add a little bit of sherry extract (and maybe at the very end, some whole wheat bread crumbs on top and brown it under the broiler ). I couldn't imagine as I was putting it together that it would taste very good, but it certainly did! Next time, I think I'll also reduce the 5T of butter to 4 or less - it's plenty rich!

The greatest praise I can give a recipe is that "I could serve it to company." This recipe falls in that category - thanks again!

Michelle :wave:

Karla
Wed, Feb-16-05, 12:12
Michelle,

So glad you liked the scallops! Did I mention that I usually serve it over cauliflower "rice?" That sauce is just too good to leave on the plate. Your sherry idea does sound good, too, so I'll have to try it.

Karla

nocarb
Thu, Feb-17-05, 07:25
Yum! I love scallops. This sounds decadent.

MoonDansyr
Thu, Feb-24-05, 17:39
Oooo ... I'm going to try this recipe, too! I'm going grocery shopping this weekend and am going to get everything for this AND the tilapia recipe for next week's dinners!

BeachMusic
Wed, May-18-05, 19:34
Thanks for posting this scallop recipe. I made it tonight and it was delicious! I will definitely make it again.

Stephanie

joanee
Mon, May-23-05, 18:58
OMG, this was fabulous! I mean, DAYUM it was good!!:yum:

Coupla tweaks / tips: I poached my bay scallops in pure wine = delicious!
I poured a bit of the poaching likker into the sauteeing mushrooms = delicious!
I put a bit too much paprika on them = go according to your tastes
I thought the sauce lent itself naturally to the taste of bacon = I might try sauteeing the mushrooms in bacon fat next time, or mixing in some bacon pieces
I thought the parmesan was scrumptious = could try other cheeses, like Gruyere
I thought the sauce lent itself to a vegetarian version, like eggplant= sure, but only when I run out of scallops!
I agree with the comment that you don't need to use so much butter = go according to your own tastes

I can't wait to serve this to my low-carbing relatives. Thanks a bajillion for being generous enough to share this recipe!:yum:

Karla
Tue, May-24-05, 08:47
Stephanie and Joanee,

I'm glad you liked the scallops; I think I'll make them this week, too!

Joannee, I like your tweaks and this time I think I'll try adding the bacon and sauteeing the mushrooms in the bacon fat.

The one thing you never want to leave out is the soy sauce; even though it's not much it really does add a needed zing to the dish - ask me how I know!!

Karla

wirlwind
Wed, May-25-05, 15:53
This recipe would be good with shrimp too- or with both! Will definitely try this. I love seafood.

Donna

joanee
Tue, May-31-05, 09:28
:lol: Okay, Karla, why should you never, ever leave out the soy sauce?