PDA

View Full Version : Hi from miserable....

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

miserable
Fri, Aug-15-08, 11:29
Hello everyone...Im hoping that a few of you might take me under your wing and help me a little..
Im a miserable depressed fat person who has tried all the diets and yoyoed up and down I have had two heart attacks in the last 15 months and have been warned I need to lose weight..I love my food the spicier the better thats my problem kebabs chips currys all the bad stuff but I dont touch alcohol..I also have a problem with my sight now so find it difficult to read books manage on computer ok with enlarged txt so get by on here.
I have searched and read what I have found on the induction phase of atkins but dont get it, could anyone help by telling me in simple terms what to do,what sort of things I am allowed to eat in induction and for how long induction stage last then what do I do from there on what can I eat then.. and im hoping that no one replies saying that lazy b....ard ought to find out himself/read the atkins book etc etc... which I would if I could..its taken me a while to register on here hoping for some friendly advice and support..I have looked through the recipes on here they look great..
anyway I guess quite a few of you people know how Im feeling at the moment pretty down I can tell you.. by the way I never used to be this bad have always been on the large side but could do quite a lot of physical activity prior to the heart problems.. just over two years ago I was an advanced open water diver..huh was.........
anyway thast my piece sorry to have depressed and bored you all
regards
miserable

Wifezilla
Fri, Aug-15-08, 11:36
Kebabs...no problem
Curries....usually not a problem (depending on ingredients in the sauce)
Chips....PROBLEM

I am guessing you are in the UK? (using the words chips, curries and kebobs in the same sentence ...LOL...MUST be UK!) You might want to look in to the writings of Barry Groves. He is formar RAF, nutritionist and low carber. His plan is low carb, but unlike Atkins, has no induction phase.

Following his plan, you will be eating meat (and it's fat)
Fresh veggies (leafy greens and other low carb veggies)
Berries
Healthy fats (non-hydrogenated lard, butter, full-fat yogurt, cream, etc...)

Here is his website....
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/

His latest book is "Natural Health and Weight Loss". You might have an easier time finding a copy than I did. I had to order from Amazon (I am in the US). He also has an older book called "Eat Fat Get Thin". You might want to look for that as well.

buckeyemom
Fri, Aug-15-08, 12:49
Hi miserable and welcome! We are all basically in the same boat that's why we're here. I doubt any one of us would ever say anything remotely what you predicted.

Atkins has a website that outlines the 2 week induction and actually gives you a meal plan to follow:

http://www.atkins.com/Program/FourPhases/WhatIsInduction/TwoWeekMealPlan.aspx

Basically it is no bread, potatoes, rice, chips, sugar, cereal, pasta, etc. Hopefully this gives you a step in the right direction.

Also, read some of the success stories. That is something that keeps me motivated. Keep posting on here. Just when you think all is lost someone comes along and posts a kind and encouraging word. Look at the big picture and not one meal in terms of success and failures. This is a process, not an end result.

Good luck and chin up! There is hope!!!!

Kisal
Fri, Aug-15-08, 13:20
Welcome! Nice to have you with us! :)

Dr. Atkins books are available on Amazon.com in audio format. Here's a link to one:

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Atkins-New-Diet-Revolution/dp/0060535539/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218827876&sr=8-8

bigmumma
Fri, Aug-15-08, 13:27
Hi Miserable,

I too am a fat and unhappy (about my weight) person and although I'm not having such a hard time as you I'd love to give you support whenever I can.

I'm doing atkins and as Wifezilla and Buckeyemom say...doing atkins you'll eat meat and veg. and fat....some examples....breakfast = 2 eggs (with mushrooms, onion, however you want them) bacon or sausages and I usually add about 1 oz of cheese....lunch = 2 cups of salad and whatever meat you want to add or perhaps make yourself a tuna salad (tuna, mayo, mustard, celery, onion, pepper) and wrap it up in a couple of lettuce leaves (can't believe I actually love that one!) and then dinner = whatever meat you want and I'll either cook up a few veggies or have a salad.

Hope this helps....I've been on the plan for about 2 1/2 weeks and so far have lost 11lbs ... I hope you'll be able to say the same really soon.

Definitely check out the Atkins that outlines the 2 week induction and gives you a meal plan to follow...buckeyemom gave you the link in her message.

Take heart...you can do it!

miserable
Sat, Aug-16-08, 04:26
Hey guys thanks for your nice replies and tips was interesting reading..feel better in a way to know that there are many others feeling the same way ..
I feel better at the moment just eaten a few lettuce leaves with a thin slice of corned beef and tuna with mayo rolled up.. they were actually quite nice..
saying that as I am typing I feel a little sick lol...
anyway look fwd to joining you all here on the forum
once again many thanks..
regards Miserable [feeling very sick now] lol..

Kd did
Sat, Aug-16-08, 05:28
Miserable-

No one likes change. I am a creature of habit myself. However, we all got so tired of being fat and unhealthy and we were willing to take a drastic step in our lives to fix things. I think you will discover that we have all be very surprised at how much we enjoy the things we are able to eat on this plan. Yes...we are deprived of some of our old comfort foods, however, unlike low fat diets and such...the things we are able to eat are amazingly good as well as good for you. So...we have all been somewhat in your shoes. We were all miserable...but I am happy to report that it passes!