PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

isabellaky
Fri, Aug-01-08, 23:23
I've been doing Atkins Induction since the end of May 08 with some progress (approx 12 pounds a month loss). How do you get the ketostix to turn a darker pink or purple? Mine are always "trace" light pink, no matter how few carbs I eat. One day I decided to just eat fish for breakfast lunch and dinner ( 1/3 can salmon for breakfast, tilapia made in the microwave for lunch drizzled with olive oil, and canned tuna with mayo for dinner. I did also have two mozzarella cheese sticks. Any suggestions? I drink mostly water.

*Sheila*
Sat, Aug-02-08, 09:05
The keto sticks are different for everyone. Mine have been running along the high side ( think purple) but.. I haven't lost anything ~ or inches that I can see, in a week. BUT I know... a whooosh must be coming soon! WElcome back btw!

Kisal
Sat, Aug-02-08, 12:07
Welcome! Nice to have you with us! :)

You are in ketosis if the sticks are turning pink. They only measure certain kinds of ketones, and some people never get them to turn color. I lost over 100 lbs without ever getting a ketostick to show any color. You might want to read this information, which can be found under "Tips" in the uppermost green tool bar:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips.html

LMMS
Sat, Aug-02-08, 17:58
Yes, if you have only trace amounts, you are in ketosis. If they are really dark purple, it doesn't mean you are losing more weight, you could be dehydrated. Also, it is different at different times of the day, depending on when your body is dumping the excess ketones. Don't worry at all, even if it goes negative for a short bit of time in a day, that doesn't mean you are out of ketosis.

Lisa

GonnaDoIt!
Sat, Aug-02-08, 19:22
Welcome :) The more the merrier!

ProfGumby
Sat, Aug-02-08, 21:23
:wave: Hi back atcha! Stick around a while! There is always room for another. :wave:

isabellaky
Sat, Aug-09-08, 20:23
Thanks everyone for your encouraging words! Now I'll just relax about the ketones. Any other advice? I love to learn new things about this lifestyle. For example, I learned that the flouride in water affects the thyroid, so when possible I drink spring bottled water. And I take cinnamon capsules when I eat a meal with carbs, no matter how few carbs (I seem to be someone who throws out insulin at the drop of a hat!) Cinnamon helps.