PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

cmallory
Sun, Jul-27-08, 06:47
About a couple of years ago I went to the Dr. because my heart would not stop racing. After a few medicines we got it under control but he told me that I needed to lose weight and really the only way to do that was to go lo carb or in his words no carbs no sweets. On both sides of my family we have heart disease so he was pretty serious in telling me this. Well, I went home and for three weeks did the diet and had wonderful results. Then for some reason I quit and have tried several diets since and none of them came close. I guess the reason I am here is because I am married to a wonderful and gorgeous man who can eat a gallon of ice cream and still not gain a pound, so there is no way he is going low carb and neither are my kids. I just need a little support and I know I can do it.

Saffronly
Sun, Jul-27-08, 09:45
Hi CMallory:) Welcome to the forum. I'm new too, and have found it very supportive. What a great doctor you have, to recommend a low carb diet. So many of them think it's a great evil!

My family is on low carb by default. It's what I'm making now! I will let dd have sweets and high carb stuff at friends houses and for treats, but I'm not going to buy it anymore. (or at least that is the plan!) I still have some stuff in the house, but when it's gone, it's gone.

When I did Atkins before, I had an electric ice cream maker and made ice cream nearly everyday! When you make it yourself, it is low carb (use splenda,) and tastes great. DH got me another one for mother's day, so I need to get it out and use it.

Kara

Kisal
Sun, Jul-27-08, 11:16
Welcome! It's nice to have you with us! It's so good to hear that you have a supportive doctor, because many here don't have that. :)

cmallory
Sun, Jul-27-08, 14:44
Thank you for your comments. I didn't realize that some peoples Dr.'s were not supportive. I guess b/c he has been my Dr. for many years I didn't realize that. He actually has two sons one who follows the low carb plan along with himself and one who doesn't. He says the difference is extreme and that the son who doesn't follow the plan is extremely overweight.

Sandollar
Sun, Jul-27-08, 14:48
Welcome!:)

You really need to have a talk with your DH and family about your new lifestyle. This is your health we are talking about and it's IMPORTANT that they get on board with you.
If your doctor told you you had to quit smoking or die...I'm sure they would be supportive. Isn't this almost the same scenario?

Keep all LC foods in your house ONLY. If your family wants to eat bad carbs, they can go do it on their own time. (kwim?)

Good luck!

cmallory
Sun, Jul-27-08, 15:10
Stephanie your stats are amazing. You are right. They are just going to have to get on board. Honestly, I am the one that does the grocery shopping anyway and it will be healtheir for them. Thanks for your support everyone!