PDA

View Full Version : I am off and running - New member checks in

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

crspcriter
Thu, Jul-24-08, 07:16
Hello All. This journey started when my mother in law asked me to pick up the book "Glucose Revolution" and before I gave it to her I read it. Well there were some concerns I have always had about diabetes but as they say knowledge is power. This led me to discuss the book with my friend who is a bodybuilder and he mentioned the Atkins approach. I got the book, read it and, well why not give this a try. I am 6'00 and on Monday morning weighted 235. I am addicted to carbs. and have always been a big cookie, pizza,milk and bread lover. I am a male 47 years old. My grandmother died of complications of dieabetes and I think I may be predisposed to the same. My blood work is perfect and I took the suggestions and joined a gym. Sounds perfect right? Well I think that is the problem and last night I was at the supper market and the poor me's came out! I thought ,in a weak monment, I will never be able to eat 95% of this "normal" food again! How can I possibly do this perfectly? Well, I got thru it and have simply dicided to take this journey a day at a time-sometimes maybe a moment at a time. Maybe my wife will join me as she is in the same situation?
I look forward to hearing your stories and will keep an open mind.
Be well, Critter.

Kisal
Thu, Jul-24-08, 10:30
Welcome! Nice to have you with us! :)

I believe that eating lc is perfectly normal. It's the way our bodies evolved to eat. Just because the majority of people overeat refined sugars and carbohydrates doesn't make that way of life appropriate for our bodies. JMO. :)

Don't let your mind play tricks on you! You will be able to eat pizza and other things again once you reach Maintenance. You will have to practice moderation, though. As you go through OWL, you will learn how different foods affect you as an individual, and you will expand your "menu" with a lot of different great tasting foods.

Good luck to you! :)

crspcriter
Fri, Jul-25-08, 12:37
Thank you for the kind words. You hit it on the head about the mind! I am focusing on the day and so far so good

Bri-z
Fri, Jul-25-08, 13:51
Hi,I'm new too thats great that you decided to get healthy and live life to the fullest..