PDA

View Full Version : Completely new to LCing...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

redraider7
Tue, Jul-22-08, 13:07
Hey guys, my name is William. Im 18, and about to go to college.

I really want to lose all my extra carrying weight, and I don't know how to go about it. I am completely clueless on what I can or can't eat, how much of this or how much of that.

I played all kinds of sports all four years of high school, but mostly football and track, but as soon as football season was over I let myself go and I am bigger than I have ever been. I am at 255 and I am 5'11.

I feel bigger, I can't fit into things comfortably anymore, my face looks big, I just want to be where I was or a little thinner.

I feel so lost though that I don't know where to start. I mean of course no bread/potatoes (two vices of mine especially potatoes), but what CAN I eat?

Please help me. I want to do it as soon as possible. I started going back to the gym this past week doing cardio (playing basketball for an hour or so), then lifting.

Please help me have a solid plan so I can finally see some of these pounds shedding away before I leave in mid-August!

hallmom
Tue, Jul-22-08, 15:40
I am no expert myself, but I can tell you that you absolutely MUST get one of the prominent LC books that are out there. The one I liked the best was called something like The Atkins Advantage? I am not sure if that is the exact title, but I read the book before I got started and then used it as my bible while I lost my weight.

I couldn't have done it without the book!

Good luck! You can do it...

Kisal
Tue, Jul-22-08, 16:59
Hey, William! Good to have you here! :)

Go to your nearest library and get several books about lc diets. There are many different ones to choose from. A good one to start with might be "Living the Low Carb Life," by Jonny Bowden. He reviews 17 popular lc plans, and suggests the types of people who might be most successful on each. That would give you a good overview. If you see a plan that sounds like you could make it a way of life forever, then get the book for that specific plan from your library. Read it cover to cover, so that you understand it thoroughly. If it still sounds like it would be a good fit for your personal lifestyle and food preferences, then that's the plan you should choose.

Best of luck to you! :wave: