PDA

View Full Version : Another Newb!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ed S.
Wed, Jul-09-08, 07:24
I'm no stranger to low-carb dieting. I've done it before, but have barely made it past the induction phase. I did, however, have good results with low-carb dieting, losing 7 lbs. the last time I was "on the wagon."

Well, I had a heart attack last year. At 40, I'm waaay to young to be dealing with heart problems. Unfortunately, heart disease runs rampant in my family and I should have been taking better care of myself. Immediately following the heart attack, I began exercising and I quit smoking. Having been a smoker for most of my life, it was difficult, but I'm proud that I did it. Unfortunately, I gained weight as a result, adding 10 lbs. over the past year. Ugh!

Now I need to apply the same willpower to dieting that I did to quitting smoking. I'm a self-proclaimed carboholic (love the chips) and beer lover and aficionado. I know that low-carb will work for me.

Today is day 1 of my induction. This morning I had no coffee, and I'm finally drinking lots of water (something I've never done), much to the happiness of my wife, who is joining me on the diet.

RiaKat
Wed, Jul-09-08, 07:49
Hi and welcome....I'm new to this site but not to the "diet" either. I also quit smoking...about a year and a half ago...and am now diagnosed with asthma (go figure) so the weight I lost and plus some have piled back on. So, I know how some things are.

With that....here's wishing you much success on your journey.

TejanaCJ
Wed, Jul-09-08, 09:51
Heart attack at 40. You are alive and get another chance. Yahoo! How wonderful.

There is a wealth of information and experience here to draw from. Some of what you will learn is based on anecdote and some on good science. It is quite a journey to find all that works for you.

For your consideration (you always make the decision yourself), in view of your heart attack and your new journey, I would recommend Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes, Amazon has it at a good price but really cheap way to check it out is your local library.

Take a look at Track Your Plaque with Dr. Davis at
http://www.trackyourplaque.com/

Dr. Barry Groves at http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ is a favorite of mine.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=332508 is the Vitamin D challenge thread that may prove helpful, because.....

Dr. Davis and now quite a few other doctors indicate vitamin D deficiency as contributing to heart disease/cardiovascular disease that lead to heart attacks. So worth your time looking into this.

Ed, good luck to you. Glad you are here.

PearlWhite
Wed, Jul-09-08, 09:54
Hi :wave: and welcome to the forum :)

Good luck!

Kisal
Wed, Jul-09-08, 11:57
Welcome, Ed! Nice to have you with us! :wave: