PDA

View Full Version : Putting a table in a post

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LittleAnne
Mon, Mar-18-02, 03:43
How do you put a table in a post?

I put my measurements in my journal as 4 column entries, separated by spaces. However, almost all the spaces were removed when the post was inserted and so now you can not make sense of the table.

I assume I could create a table in Word or Excel and then insert in via attach file, but I'm looking for the easy option. Control tab does not seem to work.

Is there a simple answer that I've missed?

tamarian
Mon, Mar-18-02, 11:28
Yes, there's an easy way for this.

use the code tag, simply type [ followed by the keyword code, followed by ], use the same at the end, just place / before the ]

Example:

column 1 column 2
11 22
33 44

Another way, but not easier, is to use HTML for tables, like this
<table><tr><td>column 1</td><td>column2 </td></tr><tr><td>11</td><td>22</td></tr></table>

Wa'il

tamarian
Mon, Mar-18-02, 11:31
To see what I have typed exactly, just click on the "Quote" icon.

Wa'il

Natrushka
Mon, Mar-18-02, 11:57
Great question, Ann - and thanks for the answer, Wa'il. This will make some things a lot easier!

Nat

LittleAnne
Tue, Mar-19-02, 02:54
Great, the table looks like a table now.

Some follow on questions, why does my table have the words "code:" in front of it and why does it change the font to courier? I had fun working out which other font to use. What is the default font used in posts?

Next time I'll try the more complex html method as hopefully it will line the contents of the columns up a little better.

Many thanks.

tamarian
Tue, Mar-19-02, 10:53
Originally posted by Little Ann
why does my table have the words "code:" in front of it and why does it change the font to courier?

The "code" is just a way for vB to tell a reader the text is formatted as code, just like when it formats "quote". The font changes from a variable width, to fixed width, to align the letters better.

Wa'il

JoyfulOne
Mon, Jun-02-03, 14:32
Originally posted by tamarian
Yes, there's an easy way for this.

use the code tag, simply type [ followed by the keyword code, followed by ], use the same at the end, just place / before the ]

Example:

column 1 column 2
11 22
33 44

Another way, but not easier, is to use HTML for tables, like this
<table><tr><td>column 1</td><td>column2 </td></tr><tr><td>11</td><td>22</td></tr></table>

Wa'il

LittleAnne
Mon, Jul-07-03, 01:26
Wa'il

Can you explain why since we moved to latest VB settings that I lose all the table html when I quote an earlier post. This only happens when I am at work and use the show wsiwig tool bar. At home I just get the standard stuff and there is no problem, the table stays as before.

A confused Anne!

tamarian
Mon, Jul-07-03, 16:59
The WYSIWYG bar is a little buggy. I recommend you disable it for now, until the next upgrade, which won't be long.

However, we have now disabled HTML in posts due to security risks.

Wa'il

Demi
Sat, Mar-12-05, 05:48
I presume the HTML in posts is still disabled ???

I've been trying to insert a table all morning and it just wouldn't work ( *insert tearing hair out smilie* ), then I came across this thread!

Any suggestions as to how I can put things neatly in columns in my post ??

tamarian
Sat, Mar-12-05, 06:13
Any suggestions as to how I can put things neatly in columns in my post ??

The [ code ] method mentioned in post #2 should work.

I'll see if there's a way to insert actual tables, without using html.

Wa'il

Demi
Sat, Mar-12-05, 06:56
Thanks Wa'il :)

... with a little bit of tweaking of the actual text, it worked!