PDA

View Full Version : Intro & ? about too much fat

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sweet1evie
Tue, Jun-17-08, 20:07
Hi I am new and I'm Evie,

I have a hundred pounds to lose the hard way so I am just beginning to low carb. I am trying to keep the carbs at or under 20 per day following Atkins induction from memory. The problem is, I am eating too much fat and after 5 days on the diet 3 days I've had diarrhea. It is hurting. So I have tracked my food and realize I am way overdoing the fat and need to eat more protein that isn't fat and maybe some fiber somehow that isn't high carb.

I tried to get some fiber in by eating an apple a while ago and went to track it and found I had just eating 22 carbs in the apple! That was a real bummer! I ate salad today and some fish and cheese and I'm wondering what else to eat that won't bust my diet but will balance me out. Any ideas?

Thanks and looking forward to better times and knowing you!

Evie

Luzyanna
Tue, Jun-17-08, 22:12
It might not be the fat - it could very well be yeast die-off symptoms especially if you 'carbed up' before induction. Sometimes it just takes a while to adjust to the diet as well so don't be scared of fat because without it, your hunger will get the best of you. If the "problem" doesn't stop, it could be a food sensitivity/allergy.

It's great to see you here. Don't be a stranger. :)

lowcarbUgh
Tue, Jun-17-08, 22:24
Both broccoli and cauliflower provide low carb fiber. I would also suggest searching the forum for flax meal recipes.

Kisal
Wed, Jun-18-08, 11:39
Welcome! IMO, you should not try to do Atkins "from memory." There is too much detail and information to remember, even after just a short break. I suggest that you reread your book, or if you no longer have it, that you find another copy to buy. Used copies work just as well as new ones, and are readily available at low cost. :)

sweet1evie
Thu, Jun-19-08, 10:52
Thank you all for your replies!! Leslie, I love your user name! Carbed up was my lifestyle before this diet. And already I don't crave carbs and find I have to remind myself to eat. I am loving this! I hope it is yeast die off... really I do. But I have to be honest that my fat intake is pretty high like almost half of what I eat. Eggs are mostly fat according to myplate.com where I track. I hope things smooth out. They are improving.

Susan, thanks for the fiber ideas. I love both of those raw and will be including them a bit as I add more veggies.

Kisal, right now, I heard of some people on this or another group I just joined doing a diet of meat and eggs mostly with supplements of vitamins. I know not everyone will say to do that and I am fully researching it all, Atkins is all I know to call what I am doing. I already tend to eat a lot of eggs and meat when I do the Atkins. I am low carbing for sure. I will use the book though once I get moved and can find it. But for now, I have lost 5 pounds in my first week and I am ecstatic.

GypsyClare
Thu, Jun-19-08, 10:56
Typically people on this WOE get somewhere around 70% of their calories from fat. If you're only getting 50% from fat then that's probably not enough for you to feel satiated.

The key concepts to low carb are getting adequate protein for your body (because excess protein can also drive up insulin which drives fat storage), and eating plenty of fat while keeping the carbs low.

Don't be afraid of fat! On this WOE it's your best friend!

Wifezilla
Thu, Jun-19-08, 11:11
Is there such a thing as too much fat?

Seriously....you should be getting 70% of your calories from fat. Fats (natural fats that is) are your friends.

sweet1evie
Fri, Jun-20-08, 00:03
I use myplate.com and it shows a pie and divides how much protien fat carbs were eating. I am eating as much or more fat as protien. I am having watery stool yellowish and oily looing SORRY and a lot of it. Something isn't right.

Here is a link to my plate. I have been doing just the meat and egg thing for a few days too. I am thinking too much sausage.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/users/profile/lin317/
Click on my plate on the left to see what I have ate. if you wanna help. Thank you so much.

Ayustar
Fri, Jun-20-08, 00:10
It is fairly normal to have some bathroom issues at the beginning. I used to eat a ton of fat in the beginning but I cannot stomach it anymore, lol.

I would suggest to sub out some of the eggs for broccoli *which you mentioned you like raw, so that is good* cauliflower, lots of salad, stuff like that, to keep it 'together' so to speak. I hope that helps.

I think it is just like your body trying to get all the 'bad stuff' out, you know?

Luzyanna
Fri, Jun-20-08, 08:21
Just pay close attention to when you eat eggs....if you have an allergy or sensitivity and go from rarely eating them to eating them several times daily, it can play havoc on your system.

sweet1evie
Fri, Jun-20-08, 08:32
Thanks ladies! Some great thoughts.

crissy_1
Tue, Jun-24-08, 18:15
heres a great breakfast idea to add variety and fibre
1 minute muffins

each muffin has 3 carbs

1/4 cup of flax meal
1 egg
1tsp melted butter
1 tsp baking powder
couple of drops of vanilla
mix all to geather in a coffee cup pop in the microwave on high for 1 minute
turn upside down will come out of cup easily slice ,butter and gobble up delicous mmmm. Oh and if you can spare the carbs a few blue berries go real well in it

sweet1evie
Wed, Jun-25-08, 12:07
Thanks Crissy! I just moved and need to pick up a microwave to try some new recipes. That sounds good. I have been doing well this past 4 days so I think it was a stage that I am over. Yeah!!