PDA

View Full Version : Introducing :)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lindystar
Sat, Jun-14-08, 06:50
Hi, My name's Lindy I'm from southwest MI and I'm so dang excited to have found this forum! (and site)

Lo-carb seems to really be the way for me - I'm loving it, goodbye calorie counting drudgery!! :p

There is so much info here! EEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been doing this for about 6 weeks now but I'm thrilled anew to have found this place for all the extra ideas.

Thanx to all who are here and contribute and work on this, it's a real gem - THANK YOU!!! :wave:

Kisal
Sat, Jun-14-08, 12:09
Welcome to the forums! :wave:

Tiffanylip
Sun, Jun-15-08, 22:44
:wave: Just stopping by to say hello and welcome to the forums! You'll find lots of useful info here! Good luck on your weight loss journey.

lindystar
Thu, Jun-19-08, 16:09
Thank You Thank You !!!! :) :)

Awbrey
Mon, Jun-23-08, 14:10
you seem to have done amazing so far wish you the best of luck :wave:

joesfolks
Mon, Jun-23-08, 16:03
I, too, am from SW Michigan. I live south of GR. Yes, South Beach can be very versatile. Here's hoping you do well.

lindystar
Tue, Jun-24-08, 05:29
Thank You Aubrey, and the best to YOU ! :) :)

HI Joesfolks, you can have some of the spring fresh fruit on SB yes? I hope so! Goodluck to you and thanx for saying hi :)

TejanaCJ
Tue, Jun-24-08, 11:23
Welcome to the boards. I grew up in Kalamazoo, had relatives in Leonidas, Three Rivers, Portage, Vicksburg, Watervliet, Schoolcraft, Lawton, Paw Paw, Ludington, and spent a lot of summers on the beach in South Haven and Allegan and the dunes. Knew SW Michigan very well years ago.

Hope you find the support and information you need to get to your goals here.

lindystar
Wed, Jun-25-08, 04:37
TejanaCJ - HI !!! I'm going to be moving to TX at the end of this summer so when I saw you're there it made me smile. Do you ever get used to living without snow? And the heat? I'm flipping out about it!

Oh my, it is neat to hear someone talk about my hometown, I think I grew up on the South Haven beach - Packer Beach!

Thank You so much for sayig hi. :) :)

TejanaCJ
Wed, Jun-25-08, 20:48
Short answer is depends on where you will be in Texas, big state you know.

Long answer is this. In Michigan, in the summer with high humidity and often very still, I was the hottest (we only had fans back then and no air conditioning and of course my body ran hotter when I was younger).

In California where I lived for 20 years in San Diego County, the hottest weather I encountered was about 120 degrees with about 10% humidity in a Santa Ana conditions, and unless you were in the direct heat it was tolerable, because it was only for a few days and there was usually a lot of wind albeit hot wind. I would take those conditions over a hot summer day in Michigan any time.

In Texas, and I am in Live Oak which is NE San Antonio, I have central air conditioning, ceiling fans, ceramic tile floors, large shade trees that shelter the house most of the day, and even though it gets quite hot and has been running a high of about 98 for days on end, unless you are outside life is very comfortable. It does get humid up to 90+% sometimes, but most of the time it is around 60%. Even if outside, just walking in and out of stores to your car and such (not hard work like gardening or roofing or such), there is almost always a breeze. In Live Oak, my 1600 square foot house with its central air and gas furnace has at its highest run a $156 gas and electic bill and that was when it was about 100 degree day in and day out. Most of the time it is around $60. I have to say I am most consistently comfortable here in Texas than in either Michigan or California.

You probably will not miss the snow, although it may snow a day or two in the winter. There will be a lot more sunny days that will perk up the vitamin D stores and the mood if you are inclined to SAD which is why I moved to California and now to Texas because living in California just got too expensive. Let me know how you like it once you get here. I do like living within my means without state income tax and without the snow.

RosieGirl
Thu, Jun-26-08, 04:11
Hello there - well done on your success so far! I too was overjoyed when I found this site, it's been my saviour on more than a few occasions!

x

lindystar
Thu, Jun-26-08, 04:51
TejanaCJ - I'll be on the border of Mexico - McAallen, but it's encouraging to hear that you actually prefer the heat down there to here - the humidity and all. Okay, and TX doesn't have state income tax? For real? Huh, who knew? ( :P not me I guess) Well that's neato, heck I thought all states did, how cool ! One thing that I find encouraging is not "hole-ing" up for the long cold winter and craving those winter comfort foods - and maybe not gaining weight every winter. It's like a fact of life around here, everyone expects it.

Rosie girl - Hi :) I saw you made it into the 50's by your goal date, I just wanted to say YYYYAAAAAYYYYY!!!! And congrats!! Okay and YAY YAY again! That rocks! :)

Less-of-me
Thu, Jun-26-08, 08:15
I moved from California almost two years ago (I was in Northern California). I am in central TX (Austin), which is north of San Antonio.

There is more heat, but like TejanaCJ was saying, they are acclimated to it and there is plenty of air conditioning, ceiling fans, tile, etc. Even though the climate where we came from is considered very "temperate," on the occasion when there was a "heat wave" (I read that temps there were around 100+ for a few days last week) most people don't have air conditioning in their homes and are just miserable (we were one of the very few people to have air conditioning there).

I have to say that I do not agree with the "dry heat" thing. I really prefer some humidity. I can't stand being in Arizona with the dry heat -- makes me feel like all of the moisture is being sucked out my body like a giant raisin.

And it certainly is more reasonable here in terms of expenses. Our car and house insurance is also less. Utilities are much less. I am paying less for elect. for keeping my 3300 sf house in TX cool than I was for a 1650 sf house in Northern California -- go figure.

Haven't been to McAallen as of yet. But we hear great things about South Padre Island and Port Aransas on the gulf. We are planning to do a mini-vacation down that way some time soon.

SissyPoo
Thu, Jun-26-08, 12:48
Welcome, nice to have you join us.

lindystar
Fri, Jun-27-08, 05:59
Less-of-Me - :) I totally love your screen name! So it sounds like it's kind of a personal thing weather you like the dry heat or humid heat better. I'm hoping I like the dry heat, at least I won't have those terrible humid-hair days! :P And may I just say - Thank HEAVENS for air cond. !!! :) Thanks for saying hi :)

HI SissyPoo, Thank You and good to see you :)