PDA

View Full Version : New LCer with high-carb skinny family :S

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Thump
Fri, Jun-13-08, 17:45
Hello everyone :)

I started low-carb living in February and Atkins two days ago :D My Endocrinologist just told me the basic of low-carb but did not point me to any particular plan. I lost 20 lbs on my own then stalled (plus a trip to Mexico along the way, I LOOOOVE Enchiladas and mole poblano!!). Coming back, I did some LC research and decided to try Atkins. I mean, if it's such a success, it's gotta work right? I bought the book and am doing induction. It's been easy since I didn't have many carbs left already. I still had a major headache this couple of days :)

Anyway, I have 80lbs left to lose to be just right although I'll be happy with a little less too :) Anyway, my family is totally not helpful, they love their carbs and dad is always buying alfajores and cakes which are so totally yummy here in Peru (where I'm currently living) because he wants to make me happy :) I love him but he just doesn't get it that although those things make my tastebuds happy, I regret it afterwards. Still, I'm moving out again soon, I'm going to the UK to do a Master's degree! (woot!)

I wanna be slim by then, buying + size clothes is KACHING! Also, I wanna baby soon and baby deserves a healthy energetic mom (also, it's easier to con a man into getting you preggers if you're slim ;) )

So, this looks like an awesome community to talk to about things I can talk with my other awesome community :P I think I'm gonna be here a lot. I already have some recipes to share (I love cooking! The world hates me ;) )

You know what is really agravating? My father and two sisters are slim but they eat almost pure carb. Seriously! How unfair is that?

nole1984
Fri, Jun-13-08, 19:32
Welcome Thump.... What is Mole Problano?

Thump
Fri, Jun-13-08, 19:51
Mole poblano is a very popular Mexican sauce. It is basically chillies and chocolate. It takes a little getting used to at first. I didn't like it the first two times I had it but now, I dream about it :D Enchiladas con mole is one of my favorite dishes :D It's a good thing it is virtually unknown outside of Mexico and Central America or I'd give up the dieting and live fat but enchilada-filled :)
I don't know the actual carb count of mole, maybe chicken with mole would be acceptable. That would be a dream come true :D

Kisal
Fri, Jun-13-08, 20:37
Welcome! Nice to meet you! :)

This recipe isn't for while you're on Induction, but you might want to save it for later on:

Scorpgc's Enchiladas with Mole Sauce
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=499045

3 Tbsp. Carbquick (or carbalose)
8 oz. of low / no sugar tomato sauce
1 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1+ cloves of crushed garlic
1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
S & P to taste (easy on the salt)
1 1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder (you can use a teaspoon or 2 of Taco / Burrito mix found in the envelopes)
2 tsp Splenda
1/8 (heaping) Cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
1 1/2 Cup Beef (or you can use Chicken) Broth
Oil (about 3 Tbsp)

Heat the olive oil and add the Carbquick, making a roux. Whisk together and let it saute for about 2-3 minutes, just until it begins to turn golden brown. Gently whisk in the beef or chicken broth and tomato sauce until it is thouroughly mixed and smooth.

Bring the sauce to a slow and gentle simmer (light bubbles) while stirring and adding the spices. Continue to simmer for about 4-5 minutes, stirring often and gently.

Slowly sift in the cocoa powder (you could also use unsweetened cocoa baking bar or those pouches already melted). Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes and lower the heat. Taste your sauce. I like just a touch of sweetness, and 2 tsp. of the Splenda was perfect. Not too sweet, and not too salty. Set the sauce aside.

Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish. Fill each tortilla with about 1/8 + cup of the meat mixture and a sprinkle of the 4 oz. reserved Cheddar Cheese and wrap up, folding in the sides. Place seam-side down in baking dish.

Spoon all of the sauce over the Enchiladas, covering each one. Much of the sauce will be absorbed by the tortillas.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove and sprinkle remainder of Cheddar over the Enchiladas, returning to oven for about another 15-minutes.

Serve with a small side of green salad and sliced avacados.

Per Enchilada: 504 Calories; 37g Fat; 34g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 11g Dietary Fiber; 7g Net Carbs

nole1984
Fri, Jun-13-08, 20:40
See that's why I love this place

lowcarbUgh
Fri, Jun-13-08, 20:46
Dang. I wonder if she has one for green mole too?

Definitely a ctrl-D page.