PDA

View Full Version : New Today--Need Advice

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

memfem
Sun, May-18-08, 16:37
I found this forum through a post I read on a diabetes message board and I'm so glad I did. I really need some advice from type 2 diabetics who are successfully managing their blood glucose with lc. I am overweight and have some heart problems and was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My doctor put me on metformin which has helped some, but I am nowhere near under control. My doctor also hasn't given me much diet advice except to "eat less and exercise more" but I haven't lost much weight. I'm finding that almost any type of carbs really raises my blood sugar, even those that diabetics are supposed to be able to eat (low glycemic index things). So I really feel at sea and would appreiciate any advice anyone has.

bewat21
Thu, May-22-08, 11:57
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=132

that's the link for Diabetics doing LC. I hope this helps. good luck!

Berni

Kisal
Thu, May-22-08, 16:01
Welcome! Best of luck to you on your journey! :wave:

chele59
Thu, May-22-08, 19:57
Welcome and good luck to you! Perhaps you may want to check out the book - Gary Taubes: Good Calories/Bad Calories. It's not a diet book of any sort -(more scientific and research) the reading isn't that easy - but it is very, very informative as it relates to the different foods we eat and the good and bad "things" that happen to our bodies when we eat them. He's writes mega stuff about insulin - our worst enemy!! I hope this was helpful. Stay focused - Michele

lowcarbUgh
Thu, May-22-08, 20:21
I've been following Dr. Bernstein's plan for many years with great success. It's perfect for either type 2 or typr 1s (like me). You will lose weight and control your BG levels. I strongly suggest you read the book (some of it is available free online) here:

http://www.diabetes-normalsugars.com/

IMO, South Beach allows too many carbs in the later phases for good BG control without drugs. Many of Bernstein's patients have lost weight and no longer need any medication.

Some incidences of Type 2 diabetes can be completely resolved with weight loss and carb control. There is hope. :)