After reading this I couldn't believe it, just another study that will give most diabetics a false sense of security about eating sugar, and low fat dieting, in order to keep their sugars under control. :confused: :(
Experts Release New Dietary Guidelines for Diabetics
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) issued new dietary guidelines that allow diabetics to eat sweets as long as all carbohydrates are balanced with insulin, exercise and total caloric need. In a December 27 New York Times story, ADA director Dr. Nathaniel Clark was quoted as saying, "We are continuing to try to lessen the burden for patients with diabetes." The new guidelines were published in the upcoming issue of Diabetes Care.
Although diabetics were once told to eat almost no sugar, the new guidelines reflect modern research, which suggests that most diabetics can eat sugar in the same, moderate amounts that all people are encouraged to eat. Diabetics only need to plan ahead and adjust insulin/medication as recommended by their physician. The guidelines essentially stress the importance of eating all starches and sugars (carbohydrates) in balance with insulin, exercise and total caloric need. More specific guidelines already established are as follows:
* Eat different kinds of foods. People are encouraged to eat a balanced diet of starches (e.g., bread or cereal), protein (meat or fish), dairy products (e.g., skim milk) and fruits and vegetables every day. Starches, fruits and vegetables should make up 75 percent of a person's diet, and fruits and vegetables should be eaten more frequently than starches. The other 25 percent should consist mostly of protein (e.g., meat) and dairy products (e.g., skim milk). Diabetics are especially encouraged to avoid overeating during meals and to snack between meals if sugar levels are low.
* Balance food intake with exercise. Obesity (more than 20 pounds over one's ideal weight) is strongly linked to Type II diabetes, and exercise is an important part of treatment for all diabetics who have been cleared by their physician.
* Reduce the amount of fats and oils and cholesterol in one's diet. Reducing the amount of saturated fat in one's diet is generally considered to be more important than trying to reduce cholesterol intake, because eating saturated fat tends to increase cholesterol levels more than eating cholesterol does. Experts advise that the total amount of fat in a healthy diet should be less than 30 percent of total calories, and the amount of saturated fat should be less than 10 percent of total calories. Many ''low cholesterol'' products are often high in saturated fat, so choosing these high-fat products will not be helpful in reducing cholesterol levels. For specific strategies on how to reduce the amount of total fat and saturated fat in one's diet, please click on this link: tips for reducing fat intake.
* Limit the amount of salt and sodium in one's diet. Not only are people encouraged to reduce the amount of salt in their recipes, but also they are encouraged to limit their use of products (e.g., canned soup and sauces) that are quite high in sodium. This is especially important for diabetics because their disease is associated with high blood pressure (hypertension).
* Drink alcohol only in moderation. Diabetics are encouraged to speak with their physician about how much alcohol is appropriate for them. They may be advised to eat food when drinking alcohol, especially if they are taking medication. :thdown: