PDA

View Full Version : New member

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

wbethin
Sat, May-10-08, 04:06
Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to everyone. I have done lc before but I usually last about 2.5 weeks sometimes less depending on weather or not my husband and I have any social functions to attend. You see my husband is from another country ( I am with him there now) and when we attend social gatherings everyone always says "try this" and before I can say no its on my plate then if I don't eat they say "oh she doesn't like our foods." I really don't want to hurt anyones feelings, but when I do say "I am on a diet", (if were with close friends they understand of course) I have to explain my diet then comes the "oh alittle wont hurt"s and the "I have never heard of such a diet"s. Its all extremely tireing and repetitive. Then on top of the starts and stops I have a hypothyroid and a 10 month old very energetic boy. Anyways hello forum members and I happy to be here. :wave:

oblong
Sat, May-10-08, 05:27
Hello and welcome to the forums! :wave:

I found out a few months ago that I have an intolerance to wheat and sugar, amongst other things. Although I can tolerate small amounts, it's still best that I avoid the stuff. I know that a lot of people here consider themselves to be carbohydrate addicts, and the effects of ingesting carbs causes unstable blood sugar levels which in turn leads to energy spikes and crashes, so in a way, we are all intolerant to carbs, even if we haven't had an official diagnosis.

Rather than saying that you are 'on a diet', you may find it beneficial to say that you recently found out that you have an intolerance to certain foods. No one can argue with you about that.

Good luck on your journey to health and happiness :)

PearlWhite
Sat, May-10-08, 10:21
Hi & welcome :wave:

I agree with oblong, it's much easier most of the time to come up with a phrase people can't argue with. You're not really lying if you really *need* to lose the weight.

Good luck!

Kisal
Sat, May-10-08, 12:27
Welcome aboard! :wave:

wbethin
Sun, May-11-08, 08:57
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will try out the advice next get togeather, but hopefully that will be after a couple of months so I can loose at least 15-20 lbs. beforehand. Then if I slip or something it wont be that big of a deal (weight wise). Conscience is another thing all togeather.

Gypsybyrd
Sun, May-11-08, 09:40
Welcome aboard Wbethin!

TejanaCJ
Sun, May-11-08, 15:53
I have done a couple of rounds, too. One time to the tune of 130 pounds lost in nine months, and I ate liberally of all things protein, fat especially olive oil and butter, vegetables and lots of fruit (those were the days) but that was 10 years ago and fruit is problematic these days.

My tact, when I was successful, was the statement, "Doctor's orders. He is being very strict with me." Nobody likes to question a doctor (we should, however, endlessly question what they say), and I have to say this very sexist thing--that women and men, too, seem to trust the, "He," part more, even though my doctor at the time was a woman.

Just a little dishonesty to keep me honest. Welcome and good luck with the naysayers and meddlers.