PDA

View Full Version : The Graphite has arrived

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Graphite
Wed, May-07-08, 11:02
Hello from the Denver area!

My wife and I haven't begun a diet, yet, but we are investigating the Paleo philosophy with great interest. Naturally, we're a bit trepidatious about starting because it would be a big step, and even if we do it, we'd probably not really start for a week or two. But we're finding whatever information we can, and I thought it would be good to join this community and learn what I can from the ordinary, average folks living the life. We are both consciously aware that we are addicted to carbs - she loves the "savory" carbs and I adore the sweet carbs.

Of course, I've been seeking information both for and against Paleo. So far, I've seen arguments on both sides but the anti-Paleo arguments I've seen just don't tend to hold up, in my opinion. I'm certainly open to any perspective on the topic.

I will add that, as a Christian who believes in Creationism, what's really blown my mind is that the Paleo lifestyle seems to me to fit perfectly with a Creationist point of view. (Arguably, the same goes for the whole bodyweight exercise philosophy, which I have just barely begun, too.) How did our Intelligent Designer make us, and what did He design us to eat? He certainly didn't put people in a garden surrounded by Nautilus equipment and treadmills. Rather, we were made to climb and jump and carry ordinary things and swim and run short distances. And while Genesis says God created grasses and seeds, it never says our Creator gave those to people to eat. Rather, we are to eat vegetables and fruits and (starting a little later) meat. All grain is grass. So, from a biblical Creationist point of view, the Paleo diet makes perfect sense. And certainly, everything I have found in my research indicates that science corroborates this -- that grains, legumes and potatoes contain toxic chemicals that some animals are designed to eat, but which human beings certainly are not designed to eat.

So, my Bible agrees, and the majority of science I've read agrees... it all agrees and makes logical sense.

I'm not here to argue for Creationism or for the Bible, but simply introducing myself, and in so doing, sharing my perspective on the whole topic so that you know where I'm coming from, and why I believe what I believe regarding Paleo diet, specifically.

I look forward to hopping into some threads and continuing to learn more! I've really been impressed by the amazing testimonies by Paleos here, regarding their startling health transformations, whether it's weight or even dental health or body odor issues. It confirms a lot of the science I've been reading, and it's great to see.

See you around the threads! :wave: Unga bunga!

-- The Graphite :read:

P.S. Regarding the My P.L.A.N., I did put in all of my body measurements, but how do I actually use the site to calculate my body fat percent? How do I use the bodyweight calculator under the My P.L.A.N.?

FatFreeMe
Wed, May-07-08, 13:43
Welcome Graphite. Yes, I can tell you're a writer :) I'm an atkins girl myself so I can't help you with paleo, nor with myplan, as I use Fitday... Just wanted to say, welcome and good luck with your journey

NoWhammies
Wed, May-07-08, 13:53
Welcome, Graphite. Sounds like you've thought this out carefully. I do Protein Power with a very Paleo slant - I don't do any dairy, wheat, gluten or anything processed. I am just too darn sensitive to too many foods to do so. I find that it works well for me (and for my hubby, as well) - we have both been so much healthier for this type of lifestyle. It is great that you and your wife are supporting one another in this.

Graphite
Wed, May-07-08, 15:51
Thanks a bunch!

Of course, like I said, we haven't begun, and we're nervous and trepidatious about beginning. Neither of us have been on any kind of diet in a long time, so it's a bit daunting. But we're still amassing information, because we don't want to start until we're sure and we're prepared. At this point, if/when we do this, we'll likely ease into it.

I've seen a number of places that recommend doing one week replacing one meal with Paleo, preferably breakfast since that's easiest for most people. 2nd week, make two of your daily meals Paleo. Third or fourth week, go 100% caveman.

I'd sure miss my "Purina hubby chow" (my wife's name for my late-night bowl of sweet cereal when I come home from work) as well as the candy. And she'd miss the tater chips and dip, mashed taters, or the cheesy grits for breakfast. But.... we'll see!

Kisal
Wed, May-07-08, 19:55
Welcome to the forums! :wave:

Graphite
Thu, May-08-08, 01:06
Oop! Had a question, but figured it out! Ne'er mind!

Graphite
Thu, May-08-08, 19:35
I have it.

If/when we begin the Paleo diet, I know what my journal will be titled. Whaddya think of...

The Unga Bungalow! :read: