PDA

View Full Version : First time posting

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

want2Bskny
Fri, May-02-08, 09:09
Hi all,

I've been reading so many threads and posts and figured I'd give it a try! I have no idea what I'm doing yet. If anyone reads this, hope you are hanging in there on your diet plan, I personally seem to be struggling every minute of the day with trying to make the right choices.

Last night, I was coming home on a flight and my daughters have been asking me for chocolate, so I bought 2 bars for them at the airport, and of course the perfect excuse to eat some chocolate (which I simply LOVE). I am mad at myself for doing that and then also caved in and had TOAST this morning with the kids as well.

I have no will power!! Ugh!

Anyway, I'm happy to have this forum and look foward to learning how to post.

Kisal
Fri, May-02-08, 14:55
Welcome to the forums! :wave:

yoshi2sea
Fri, May-02-08, 18:32
Hi! I'm also new to this forum, but not new to low carb. It can be so frustrating to want to succeed at something with all your heart and have your willpower fail at every opportunity. Sometimes it feels like I have my own little diet-demon hanging around just waiting for me to say that today I'm not going to eat any chocolate or bread or whatever. Then, I have a really bad day and before I know it, I've eaten a whole year's worth of carbs. On my diet plan, that's a lot of carbs! I swear I can hear that little demon laughing at me.

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. I'm hoping, like you, to find help and answers here.

want2Bskny
Fri, May-02-08, 18:47
Thank you both for the welcome! I very much relate, yoshi2sea.

I'm also up against a husband who is very anti-fat and believes that it is the reason I don't lose more weight, although I'm sure if I could get more cheat free days in I'd be much more successful!! I find myself sneaking fat at meals (i.e. shoving in some cheese in my mouth behind the fridge door, or pouring dressing on my salad when he isn't looking) so he isn't condescending. Needless to say, this makes me feel like a child hiding something from their father.

PearlWhite
Fri, May-02-08, 19:41
I get you soooo on the chocolate thing. I'm a chocoholic in recovery :)

Sorry about your hubby. It's hard to go at it alone, esp. if you can't change their minds with some education or use the just plain "honey, just support me in this, even though you don't agree withh this".

But anyway, welcome & good luck. Stay strong :)

Cerridwen
Sat, May-03-08, 06:22
It is hard when you don't have the support. DH isn't supporting parts of this way of life for me either (but for other reasons entirely). If you can, try to get yoursto read Atkins book, or watch the following webcast from a Berkeley lecture from Gary Taubes (Good Calories, Bad Calories). It explains a lot about the science behind fat and carbs.
http://webcast.berkeley.edu/event_details.php?webcastid=21216
As far as the carb cravings go, how long have you been doing Atkins? Once you are in ketosis, the carb cravings (physically at least) should be diminished. If you are still having wicked cravings, you might want to post what you're eating so that we can see if you have any hidden carbs in there that are sabotaging you. If there aren't, then your cravings may be emotional and you need support! That's where this forum can be really helpful if you're not getting the support you need at home.
Welcome,
Cerridwen

yoshi2sea
Mon, May-05-08, 12:55
I agree that cravings can disappear on a low carb plan. For the stretch of time I had that kind of success, I had to keep my carbs below 30 to lose the cravings. I can't do that anymore. Since my illness and surgery a year ago (ruptured gall bladder, infected liver, infected pancreas), I don't do well if my carbs are below 60 per day. At that amount, I get terrible cravings unless I closely monitor what kind of carbs I'm eating. Sugar, artificial sweeteners and any type of grains (wheat, corn, rice) will set me off. Sometimes, I don't want to monitor my diet. Sometimes I just get sick and tired of not being able to eat like everyone else around me, having to count carbs and protein -- did I get too much? did I not get enough? Then, I can do everything right, count everything, have the right attitude and still end up going postal and eating everything in sight, all because I end up with more insulin injected than my body needed to use or not enough (type 1.5 diabetes -- another result of my illness). Don't even get me started on how hard it is to lose weight when you're on insulin!

Sorry this turned into a vent. And double-sorry to take away from your original post. I'm just having a very bad food day.

Hugs, Lynette

want2Bskny
Tue, May-06-08, 13:56
Thank you to everyone, and I very much understand about needing to vent.
I feel the same way ALL the time!!