PDA

View Full Version : Where do i start??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Debi-D76
Tue, Apr-22-08, 16:35
I have put on 42lbs in the last year (aaaagggghh) partly due to POS but can't blame it all on that!! I have tried various diets,pills, patches etc and had no luck. I am feeling rotten about myself at the moment and desperately want something to work, i have decided to give Atkins a go but have no idea where to start or what to expect.

Any advice would be sooooo appreciated. x :wave:

misschris
Tue, Apr-22-08, 16:54
Buy the book, that is the first place to start. Read all the way through it, and then come here and ask questions. Look around, get recipes, shopping lists, etc. You can do it!! I gained a tremendous amount of weight from PCOS and it is NOT easy to take off, even with low carb. You have to be patient. I went off Metformin because it made me sick, I could probably lose a tad quicker with it, but it's not worth it to me. I supplement with Cinnamon and I've been happy. Just be patient, it's not as easy for Cysters. Good luck!

PlaneCrazy
Tue, Apr-22-08, 17:14
I heartily second getting the book, reading it, and understanding not just what to do, but why you're doing it. It helps so much to know why you're doing it so when there are questions, you are better equipped to answer them yourself.

Then as Misschris said, come back here, ask questions and benefit from the thousands of years of experience contained in the collective wisdom of these forums. You are in the right place and have chosen the right path. Now you just need to read the map and understand your journey.

Good luck, and hope to see you around.

Plane

Kisal
Wed, Apr-23-08, 01:44
Welcome! I also vote in favor of reading one of Dr. Atkins' books! :)

gwynne2
Wed, Apr-23-08, 06:13
I don't have PCOS but I was skimming the threads here (if you look you will find there's a forum devoted to PCOS), and it seems like it's one of the conditions that is really helped by lowcarb dieting.

Debi-D76
Wed, Apr-23-08, 13:43
thanks to everyone for the replies, got the book today so will spend next couple of days reading it. Also going to check out the forums for PCOS.

Got a good feeling that this might just work for me. x :D

onesource
Wed, Apr-23-08, 16:06
Hi Debi I do not have PCOS but my sister does, and she found a lot of reliefe following a low carb plan. Best of Luck to you.
Gianna

BluePants
Wed, Apr-23-08, 16:24
Welcome to the forum and glad that you joined. http://deephousepage.com/smilies/welcome.gif

AuntWie
Wed, Apr-23-08, 17:58
If you havent' picked up the book yet you can probably get a used copy really cheap from a reseller at Amazon or from Half.com. In the meantime, if you cut out all starches and anything with sugar you'll be off to a great start.
You may find, as lots of us have, that this WOE will help you with PCOS and other things, too.

And welcome, BTW!