PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from diabetic Doe

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doegirl
Thu, Apr-17-08, 10:39
Hello all,
I used a LC diet years ago and took off about 40 lbs - well, now they're back and I have a recent diagnosis of diabetes. I found this forum when searching for diabetes breakfast suggestions, and was so relieved because most of the diet plans for diabetics are really high in carbs! I'm shocked! I was first introduced to LC by an endocrinologist in Delaware, James Hays, who is considered pretty radical. Now we know why!

Good luck to us as we meet our weight loss and health goals!
Doe (Doreen)

ShovelHead
Thu, Apr-17-08, 10:48
Welcome Doegirl!

I just joined today and a factor for going lo-carb is that my Doc said I was borderline Diabetic. I figured I better start now before it's too late.
I have lurked here and other forums and this seems like the best one to be a part of.

pamlynn
Thu, Apr-17-08, 10:59
Hi and welcome.
There are plenty of diabetics on this site. Check out the Diabetes Forum - loads of support, information, and encouraging stories re: their diabetes.

Kisal
Thu, Apr-17-08, 12:30
Welcome! Nice to meet you! :)

grasshoper
Thu, Apr-17-08, 13:41
Hello all,
I used a LC diet years ago and took off about 40 lbs - well, now they're back and I have a recent diagnosis of diabetes. I found this forum when searching for diabetes breakfast suggestions, and was so relieved because most of the diet plans for diabetics are really high in carbs! I'm shocked! I was first introduced to LC by an endocrinologist in Delaware, James Hays, who is considered pretty radical. Now we know why!

Good luck to us as we meet our weight loss and health goals!
Doe (Doreen)
Hi Doe girl. I just joined here yesterday and my story sounds a lot like yours. I used Atkins in 2003 and lost 50 lbs and then put them back on. Then this fall I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am controlling it well but this site should help.

doegirl
Thu, Apr-17-08, 14:14
Thanks to all, and to Grasshopper, my sugar levels are not in control yet, because I certainly don't want to give up the beer yet, but I will have to do so, that is evident. It's pretty obvious to me that carbs are the culprits - even though every diabetis recipe I read is full of carbs... but we'll see in another month or so, huh?

grasshoper
Fri, Apr-18-08, 06:34
Doe, as my doctor says, the only way to control it is "Eat less and excerise more". Now what we want to hear but true.

FattyFFO
Fri, Apr-18-08, 09:14
Howdy from Diabetic Fatty :wave: Welcome to the Forums!

ShovelHead
Fri, Apr-18-08, 14:46
my sugar levels are not in control yet, because I certainly don't want to give up the beer yet, but I will have to do so, that is evident.

Blasphemy! Give up beer? Never! :D

That has been tough for me. I would always have a few beers everyday. Now I have it down to just a few on the weekends. This weekend it may be none since I am on induction. I'm not sure if you can have one or two in the evening. The brand I like has 3.2 carbs per 12 oz but the body converts the alcohol to sugar so I may hold off.

SusanKH
Fri, Apr-18-08, 14:50
Welcome from another diabetic - I am so incredibly sensitive to carbs that if I did the diet suggested by the American Diabetic Association, I'd be dead. I have truly found that I cannot eat carbs, regardless of the rhetoric you read every where with "controlled" carbs at each meal. Good luck to you on your journey - you've come to the right place. :wave:

MizKitty
Fri, Apr-18-08, 15:51
Welcome Doe and Grasshopper, from another diabetic low carber. May I repeat the advice to find the diabetic subforum further down the main page and read, read, read. You'll be amazed (and enlightened!)
Good luck to you both!

CarolynC
Fri, Apr-18-08, 16:35
Welcome, doegirl and grasshoper! I'm also a type 2 diabetic and use low carb to control my blood sugar. In my opinion, it's the way to go. :)