PDA

View Full Version : From RawFoodist to LowCarber

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

AnyaEUR
Thu, Apr-17-08, 06:11
Hello!
My name is Anya. English is not my native language, but I will do my best to introduce myself here.
All my childhood and teenage years I felt weak and often very miserable. I used to faint every few weeks, was very pale, had dark rings around the eyes, was way too thin (but with prominent stomach), had halluzinations and stomach pain and jaw cramps almost every night etc.
I was a overly anxious child with what I now know was depression.
In my misery I woke up my parents in the middle of the night crying for help. They went to all kinds of doctors with me but they found nothing. After a while the docs and my parents agreed it must be a psychological problem.
I was sent to a children's psychologist; he said I'd need more love and attention, which was really provided by my parents for the following months.
But the pain, cramps and halluzinations were not existent for them anymore, it was said I made them up to get attention.
So I stopped asking my parents for help and tried to take care for myself. One night when the pains and cramps were very bad I drank a whole bottle of morphine-containing medicine (usually I was given only 10 to 15 drops).
Well, I must have had the best night of my childhood.

Back in the 70s no one would have thought that my symptoms could be caused by intolerance.
Later I found out that the hot chocolate I had for dinner was what caused all the pain etc.
Today I know I have lactose intolerance, Histamine intolerance and reactive hypoglycemia. So the chocolate drink was poison for me in three ways: the lactose in the milk, the histamine in milk and chocolate, and the sugar.

Aged 24 I had a few months off from university and started to find out why I always feel so bad and have so little zest, energy and physical strength.
I looked up what a healthy person should eat and began to live an extremely healthy life (nutrition-wise, fresh organic whole food). I wondered why it got only worse. So I left out one thing after other until I ended up being a raw foodist. AND the FIRST TIME of my life I had more than enough energy, positive outlook, loving feelings for everybody and everything and lots of physical strength. All physical symptoms vanished. I looked and felt like brandnew.
But as life goes I strayed away from my diet path and allowed myself more and more normal food (SAD, fast food and candy). Naturally all my problems came back. The depression and weakness got worse.
By 2007 I had developed several symptoms of allergy and was 60 lbs overweight.
I read LC books (Atkins, Schwarzbein, Paleo a.o.).
Now, having redirected my diet according to my intolerances and the LC theory I feel SO MUCH better and many of my symptoms are gone.

Doctors were of no great help. The LC theory is widely ignored or deprecated and they have usually never heard of histamine intolerance.

The histamine intolerance is a bit of a problem for my LC diet because of the high amounts of histamine in meat, fish, soya and dairy.
I'm still testing foods to find out which I can still eat.

It's not always easy, but at least I have my health in my own hands now and know what the problem is, instead of being thrown around by the diseases not knowing what to do.
The depression relief is a real blessing as well.

Well, I'm happy I found this forum and I'm looking forward to communicating with you all.

All the best,
Anya

Kisal
Thu, Apr-17-08, 12:26
A warm welcome to you, Anya! It's very nice to have you here with us! :wave:

Felicie
Fri, Apr-18-08, 01:08
Welcome, Anya.

Whenever I hear such stories, they make me angry at the arrogance of the medical establishment who think that they know everything, while medicine can hardly be called science today. There is just too much we still don't know. How about a little humility (a rhetorical question)?

PearlWhite
Fri, Apr-18-08, 05:17
Hey Anya and welcome to the forum!

Your English is really good, you don't have to apologise for it.

Good luck :)

FattyFFO
Fri, Apr-18-08, 09:16
Thanks for sharing so much of you with us...Welcome to the Forums!

montanasun
Fri, Apr-18-08, 12:13
Anya welcome aboard! You will find a lot of support here.

Marillia
Fri, Apr-18-08, 12:26
Welcome to the low-carb club, Anya. :)

Good luck with your journey. :)

AnyaEUR
Mon, Apr-21-08, 01:23
Thank you girls for this warm welcome!

~Felicie: We are the only real expert we have regarding ourselves. One can see that as something bad but looked at closely it means a blessing, since we never are without expert advice.

mel4576
Mon, Apr-21-08, 02:49
Whenever I stray from my LC eating habits I get sluggish and do not feel healthy too!!

AnyaEUR
Mon, Apr-21-08, 04:22
What I wondered most was why in the world was I so weak in my childhood time?! All typical school sport things like climbing a pole/rope or running a 1000 meter distance didn't work at all.

I mean I could not lift myself up that pole even the slightest bit. There was absolutely no strength in my body. And running - well, I collapsed after the first 2 minutes.
And that although I used my spare time to train myself to run.
So I had training but it didn't get any better, as one would assume after weeks of hard work.

It got me frustrated and angry for I knew most kids in my class didn't do anything for their physical fitness after school.

I was laughed at and got really bad grades in sports.
There was only one other girl with the same problem. We did our running training together, but no improvement neither in her nor in me.

I think it might have to do with what kinesiology reveals.
You stretch out your arm, put some food you can't tolerate under your tongue and someone can push your arm down easily, whereas before you could resist the pushing.
Obviously things we can't tolerate are poison for our bodies and weaken it as soon as it touches us.
Letting that food run through your system must be something like chronical poisoning and therefore weakening (physically and psychologically).

Goat Lady
Mon, Apr-21-08, 06:12
Welcome! Glad to have you here! :)