PDA

View Full Version : Hi there...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Saskaloon
Sun, Apr-13-08, 22:36
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the boards. I've been reading the many varying discussions and trying to figure-out where to jump in first. I guess I'll just follow the traditional route of the introductions forum.

My name is Mark and I have turned to a LC - WOE/WOL because:

1. Doctor's orders: I have back pain from spinal bone spurs, likely from carrying the extra weight for too long.

2. First-time new father: I'm looking to lead a healthier existence, hopefully set a good example of informed eating, as well as possibly get some more quality time later-on.

3. Sugar sensitivity: I would initially get a dull pain (like a feeling of dry, grainy sandpaper) on the backs of my eyes, initially after drinking colas -- so I backed-off; but, then it progressed to where the feeling came after eating mere sweets. My fasting blood glucose was always fine when I was tested, so I decided-to preemptively avoid a diagnosis of diabetes by cutting-out sugar and starches. This was particularly difficult because I've always had a mighty big sweet-tooth.

So, since starting I've noticed (besides losing 30 lbs. over 4 months) that I've gained more energy; I've found it easier to avoid sweets and starches after reading Taubes' book Good Calories Bad Calories; and, my back pain seems easier to manage, but that may just be my daily prescription of Celebrex talking. :lol:

Anyways, I like the freedom from hunger and comfortably living with the knowledge that I am in control of what I eat. No more carbohydrate cravings! Fantasies maybe; but, I can manage those. :yum:

To everyone out there, keep living life one day at a time. We will all get where we need to go, if just keep looking around and helping those who are lost (and want directions).

Have a good day and a better week!

.\\ark

Kisal
Sun, Apr-13-08, 22:55
Welcome, Mark! Nice to have you here! Congratulations on the weight loss! You're doing great! :thup: :thup: