PDA

View Full Version : I've just started low carb (again)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Moselle
Sat, Apr-12-08, 09:20
A short history here... a few years ago I got a major foot injury at the same time as some bad stuff was happening in my personal life, and the combination meant that I gained a lot of weight. I've actually had multiple injuries to the same foot, and I've acquired quite a collection of canes, crutches, etc.

A couple of years ago, I went on a low-carb diet. In two months I lost 15 lbs! Then... I broke my ankle. This meant that not only could I not do any physical activity for months, I couldn't stand up long enough to cook low-carb meals; I had to live on stuff that didn't require much preparation, which meant lots of carbohydrates.

Over this past winter, I've been trying to get back on low carb, but I had a chronically upset stomach that forced me to live on pasta and stuff, groan. It also kept me feeling too crummy to exercise. A couple of weeks ago, I FINALLY figured out the problem: because of the many foot injuries I've had, my foot and ankle hurt a lot of the time, so I've been taking a lot of Tylenol. I had forgotten that it can mess up your stomach lining if you take too much of it. So I stopped taking it. My ankle still hurts, but it's tolerable now, and I can function much better with a hurting ankle than with a hurting stomach.

My preferred plan is from a slender booklet published in the 60's, The Drinking Man's Diet. I do drink occasionally, though not every week, but what really appeals to me about the diet is its simplicity: consume a maximum of 60g of carbs a day. I'll probably lose weight more slowly than people who are on Atkins or something, but Atkins is a little too strict and complicated for me.

I went back on low carb about three days ago. Thus far each day I've eaten one thing I shouldn't have, but I've done this before so I know that I can do it again. My biggest stumbling block is my soda addiction (Pepsi), but that, too, I've kicked before; I can do it again. Also now that I'm off the Tylenol, I'm getting back to the gym and to krav maga class.

Anyway, I decided to start reading the posts on this forum to help me keep on track. This winter I got really discouraged, since I didn't realize what the problem was that kept me from going back on low carb, so now I need to be remotivated. I'm going to go to the "Success Stories" thread now. :)

Kisal
Sat, Apr-12-08, 12:46
Welcome to the forums! Although I don't drink, your plan is the same one I used when I first started lc. I just didn't know what to call it! :lol: I'm thinking about going back to it, since it worked really well for me. I lost 130 lbs on it. I switched from it to Atkins because of a long stall, but I'm beginning to believe that Atkins might be too lc for me. Glad to have you here! :wave:

murphy5
Sat, Apr-12-08, 12:57
Welcome! Good luck with your weight loss journey! I've never head of The drinking man's diet.

Moselle
Sat, Apr-12-08, 15:33
Thanks for the welcomes!

I've been reading a lot of the information on this site and now I think the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet might be the best one for me, since so far I've been able to stick to it except for one meal a day - yesterday I caved and had pizza. So I'm going to get the book and try that.

amonage
Sat, Apr-12-08, 17:25
Welcome,

My preferred plan is from a slender booklet published in the 60's, The Drinking Man's Diet. I do drink occasionally, though not every week, but what really appeals to me about the diet is its simplicity: consume a maximum of 60g of carbs a day. I've read that diet. :)

I am doing the Life w/o Bread Diet. It is 72 carbs per day and I've had good results with it. I've done Atkins but it was a bit to low in carbs for me so I've found that 60-72 work pretty good. But, as a woe, you have to stay on plan, right now I am having a hard time just because I enjoy eating to much and I blame it on my hormones. :lol: