PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

toofatyet
Wed, Mar-13-02, 09:23
Just wanted to say howdy to everyone.

I started lowcarbing last year (no particular plan, just a general ckd diet gleaned from different places on the web). I lost 10-15 pounds fairly quickly with that and working out. Then I had a flurry of travel, late nights, my kids activities and stopped doing both.

By the first of this year, I had gained it all back and more, ballooning to 240.

I got back in the gym and restricted carbs somewhat, but had major problems with binging and a worsening of a problem that I still can't explain. I would wake up in the middle of the night and binge on carbs. Sometimes, I wouldn't even remember doing it. I would literally wake up lying in cookie crumbs and not remembering anything about it.

Anyhow, I knew that I needed to do something a little more drastic. I knew that LC was a good plan for me, but wasn't sure I could swing it. I started reading stuff on the web and then an old copy of the Atkins book. I started on induction that day.

I decided to stay on induction for three weeks and then assess if the weight loss had slowed. I was at 238 and after three weeks, I'm at 222. My Tanita shows my BF has dropped 2% (I know they're not accurate, I'm just looking for a trend). Since the results just keep rolling in, I'm going to stay at this level of carbs for another two weeks before I decide whether to continue on Atkins or a more traditional CKD. I'm leaning toward the CKD, because my lifts in the gym are horrible, but I can always work on my lifts after I'm lean.

My wife is a low-fat plan person, but has been impressed that she is seeing more definition and is being a supportive spouse (I had faith she would). And no, she's not looking over my shoulder. She's probably more impressed that I've managed this long without bread or chocolate.

I have one question for which I have not found a satisfying answer. How do you know if you've decided on a realistic goal weight?

Sorry about the length of this message. I guess since most of my friends are skeptical of LC or simply don't care (about LC dieting, not me...at least I hope), I don't have much of an outlet for talking about this.

gwilson38
Wed, Mar-13-02, 09:48
I was thinking U may need something to help fight the cravings. Especially the late night ones. 2 things that seem to work well are chromium and l-glutamine. As for what is a realistic goal it depends on a lot of factors. There are charts out there that are a guildeline however some one could have a lot of lean body mass and yet show that they are over-weight on the charts. The best way to determine what is realistic for U is too get into a normal range for body fat. Also what is equally important is how U feel and how your clothes fit.

razzle
Wed, Mar-13-02, 11:27
welcome! definitely check out our various exercise forums, too.

I had a horrible experience with CKDing, but I'm female, which may have been part of why it didn't work even when I did it right. The worst part of it for me was that it eventually led me to eat the danger carbs for me, those that trigger overeating of them, that prey on our minds if they're in the house, that we sleep-eat, that we crave. There are safe high carb foods for me--potatoes, lentils, garbonzos--but absolutely no grains! Eating them--even whole grains--made me lose control again for a few weeks.

I think that we have a personal list of very worst carbs is true for all of us (I posted a poll in the general LC forum, curious which carb category was the worst for most people). So maybe you could do a strict LC for awhile--veggies and the trace carbs in cheese and eggs only. (Not sure if this is where you are, or if you're still having cravings...?) Then add in nuts, seeds as you slightly raise your carb levels. Your system will adjust to the alternative fuel source and you should be able to lift normally again.

When you start CKDing again--add fruit only for your carb-up day and see how that works for you. (you may not be able to get over 150 grams or so--but don't sweat that for now) Add legumes a few weeks later, probably one by one (lentils one week, garbonzos the next, kidney beans the next)--and try peanuts last, as they are so commonly an allergen/food sensitivity. Once you know which legumes are safe for you, try new red potatoes (lowest GI, so probably best of all potatoes), then yams on your carb-up days. Finally, add whole grains, starting with gluten-free ones (quinoa, millet, brown rice). Wheat and sugar very few people can tolerate. Be scrupulously honest with yourself about if these various foods cause cravings. Like me, you'll eventually have a list of "stuff to avoid" on carb-up days. In short, it isn't just about carb levels or even glycemic load...cravings and bingeing can be about personal food sensitivities! In effect, following a plan like this, you'd be doing a modified food elimination diet to test for food senstivities.

HTH a bit.

LittleAnne
Thu, Mar-14-02, 03:22
Hi Tfy

Welcome to this forum. May I wish you continued success with weight loss and inpressing your wife.

You asked about working out a reasonable weight for yourself. Fitday.com does give you a general idea of what would be a reasonable weight for your height. However, I read Protein Power a couple of weeks ago and in that it gives you a way of working out, from various measurements, what your ideal weight should be. You might want to see if you can borrow it from someone, or the library.

In the gym have your weights gone down much? I started from scratch and so mine are still increasing, all be it slowly now. I certainly find that it has improved my muscle tone alot, but it would be nice to see it reflected in weight loss too. Oh well, you can't have everything.

I hope that you find the support and answers to your questions within this site. Why not keep a journal to show how you are progressing.

toofatyet
Thu, Mar-14-02, 08:15
Thank you for the warm welcome and welcome advice, gwilson38, razzle and Little Ann.

I guess my real goal is not a certain weight. If I weighed considerably more than I do now and it was all muscle, I wouldn't mind. My real goal is a certain look and a return to at least a 32 waist in Wranglers.

My lifts haven't gone down a great deal. With my legs, I'm still increasing as I'm not back up to what I was lifting last year. My upper body lifts have stalled. However, I have not pulled out my whole bag of tricks to help me work through plateus, yet. It is just a little discouraging to be steadily progressing and hit a brick wall or even lose a few reps.

Anyway, thanks for the support. It is amazing how helpful it is to have encouragement from folks that are on the same path, doing the same thing and genuinely want others to succeed as well as themselves.

wbahn
Thu, Mar-14-02, 16:43
Welcome aboard! :wave:

I don't have much to add to the wonderful advice you've been given already.

If your night-eating binges continue - consider physically getting the dangerous foods out of the house. Or at least have the others stash their stuff where you don't have access to it.

Then, if you wake up in Pork Rind crumbs.... :D

As for the right weight, look at the tables first. Realize that they are only guides and may not apply to you, especially if you lift much. Then think about a time (if one exists) when you were at a pleasant weight. Shoot for something near there. But don't be afraid to modify it as you get nearer.

Based on your energy, your diet, your ability to participate in physical activities, your comfort level, your BF percentage, and all of the other measures (except what OTHERS say) then decide if you are happy where you are or need to lose another five pounds.

toofatyet
Fri, Mar-15-02, 09:13
Thanks, wbahn.

I actually have not had this problem since I've been low-carbing. I'm not sure why. It's not that I don't have cravings, though they are admittedly less severe since I started.

Since I'm planning on modifying my diet to a CKD, it makes me wonder if the behavior will return.

A couple of months ago, I did have one of my daughters hide the Ding Dongs they had bought. Sure enough, I woke my wife up in the middle of the night as I was going through the pantry and every kitchen cabinet and drawer.

Many years ago, I pretty much quit alcohol when I started having blackouts. I was later able to have a drink in somewhat "controlled" settings so that I would not drink too much. However, that was child's play compared to carbs.

Anyway, thanks for the support. There's nothing like the common sense advice I've been getting from y'all that are on the same path.