PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on jerky?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

OKwoer
Mon, Mar-11-02, 10:52
I found this jerky at Sam's club that I really like. It called Jack Link's Beef Steak Nuggets. I like it because it's very tender and and thicker than most jerky products. Anyway, the label indicates that sugar is an ingredient and there are 3 carbs in a 1oz serving.

So, my question is, am I playing with fire here? I know that all of the jerky I've seen pre-packaged has sugar or corn syrup as an ingredient. I know that I could make my own, but honestly, that ain't going to happen.

I realize this is probably a YMMV issue, but I'm curious as to what ya'll might think or have experienced.

Mike
Tue, Mar-12-02, 11:55
Hey OKwoer,

I enjoy jerky as well. It's an easy portable snack. I think that you might run into stalling with jerky that uses syrup or sugar as an ingredient. And because it's a meat product, it gives you the feeling that you can eat as much as you would like.

You can always try it and see if it affects you. And if you start to stall, you'll have to consider if that it's or if it's something else.

Try to find non-teri-yaki flavor, BBQ, or similar types of flavoring. Fortunately, I enjoy hot stuff, so I pick out the ones that are flavored with peppers, etc.. The ones I've found that I eat have no sugar added and 1 carb a serving.

Fortunately my wife stays home with the kids, so she's great support to me. We have a dehydrator and she makes jerky for every couple months and does enough to last that period. I prefer it to the store bought anyways. It normally has the same texture you described with the ones you found. She vacuum packs them up in reasonable servings as a snack and it works great. She gets the meat cut at the grocery store into the thin sheets and marinades it in soy, garlic, different kinds of hot peppers, depending on how creative she feels.

Doesn't take her long and it's a pretty big savings as well if you get enough use out of the dehydrator.

My sister has done it in the oven as well, but I never liked the idea of running the oven all day even at a low temp.

Good luck in your search of 0-1 carb jerky. It's out there.

Mike

upncomer
Wed, Mar-13-02, 08:26
I use a dehydrator also - that way I know exactly what ingredients are involved. You can get them pretty cheap nowadays - I got mine from eBay at a very good price. Actually, you don't need a dehydrator - you can use your oven too.

I also got a couple of books on making jerky; if you want a couple of easy recipes, just let me know and I can email them to you.

ldypgmr
Wed, Mar-13-02, 08:50
I am a deer hunter....sorry if that hurts anyone's sensitivities. I do my own jerky as well. There is nothing better! I can flavor it to my taste. Even before Atkins, the best recipes I have don't contain sugar, just spices and salt. So no carbs!

My dehydrator has produced over 200 lbs of Jerky...and has saved me tons of money. It is a great investment.

Dee

upncomer
Thu, Mar-14-02, 09:10
Dee, I am a deer hunter too!!! :D

I have not used any venison yet for jerky - what do you use for spices??? The same as beef or something different?

I didn't get one this year - not enough time going out (I keep telling my boss that during hunting season, overtime is NOT GOOD!! :mad: )

But, hubby and I will be going out in May for turkey.

(sorry guys, off topic!)

stilldeb
Thu, Mar-14-02, 18:05
I love Jerky, too! I usually have some jerky and some kind of nuts in the car for emergencies. Homemade is definitely better than the store-bought stuff, but I buy it occasionally when I don't have time to make my own. Trouble is, the whole family eats the homemade stuff like a bunch of vultures!

:daze:

qcchevyman
Fri, Mar-15-02, 14:06
Hi Upancomer. I would like to get your Recpie for Low Carb Jerky. my E-mail Address is
mrtynee~mchsi.com
Thanks for your Help :wave:
Also if any other of my Triple Digit Friends could give me some advice of what I might carry with me in my Pickup Truck to Snack on when I'm away from home for a few hours would really be Appreciated. Thanks Group. :help:

Rich
Sat, Mar-30-02, 08:59
All of the above are good suggestions for excellent jerky. I have roast sliced at 1/4 inch at the meat counter and then use Allegro marinades to season. Place the sliced meat in a gallon zip lock bag with enough marinade to coat the meat then press out all the air and place in the fridge for about 24 hours. 6-7 hours on the dehydrator and it should be done. I freeze the jerky to keep it fresh. No need to thaw, just take it out and it is ready to eat.
Hope you give it a try. It's worth the wait.
Rich :thup:

qcchevyman
Sat, Mar-30-02, 09:39
Hi Rich. Can you get the Allegro Marinade at your Local Grocery Store? Also do you know how many Carbs are in the Marinade and is it loaded with Sodium. I would like to try it. I got a Dehydrator for my Birthday and haven't used it yet. Let me know. :roll: :roll: :roll: :wave:

Rich
Sat, Mar-30-02, 09:52
The Allegro marinade is available at stores in my area, Dillon's , Food-4-Less. The spicy variety is 0 carbs per teaspoon but is high in sodium 560 mg. The Teriake (SP) kind has some carbs but is not that significant (check the bottle). They have one kind that produces a traditional jerky flavor that is also 0 carbs but fairly sodium packed.
My favorite is the spicy.
Look for the Allegro near the meat or the BBQ sauce section of the store.
Hope this helps.

qcchevyman
Sat, Mar-30-02, 10:02
Thanks Rich for the Info. I will check it out. Also I see you haven't started a Journal yet. When you get time you should it makes it nice for the rest of us to keep track on how your doing and we can share advice from one another. Thanks again. :thup:

ldypgmr
Sat, Mar-30-02, 14:27
Here is what I use:

6 Tbls of garlic powder --- yes, tablespoons...
2 Tbls of onion powder
1 cup of water
2 Tbls prepared mustard
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbls of salt
2 tsp of black pepper
Hot sauce or red pepper powder to taste.

I also cut my meet about 1/4 inch thick, soak it for at least 24 hours prior to putting it on the dehydrator.

HINT: For those with teeth problems who can't chew jerky, make it with lean hamburger mixing in the above ingrediants. I then use a jerky press to press it out on the dehydrator trays. It's excellent!!!

Enjoy.

Dee

qcchevyman
Sat, Mar-30-02, 16:29
Thanks for the Recipe Dee. I will be trying that out. The only thing i will change is the added Salt. I really have to watch my Sodium intake. I can replace it with No Salt I like that. I'll Let you know How it turns out. Thanks again sweetie. "Keep On Low Carbing" :roll: :roll: :roll: :spin: :roll: :roll: