PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kandy
Sat, Mar-01-08, 17:38
I am trying to learn more about the lc way of living as I am a Type 2 diabetic (11 yrs) on various meds and 3 insulins. Very interesting information here and I want to lose weight and just be able to walk and feel much better. Unfortunately I have two men in my life, DH and DS who will not even begin to understand WHY I would want to do this so I am going to fix separate meals. It's okay because this is for ME. I only have to worry about supper mainly for them.

My dr says low carb is good, but not ATKINS. Hmmm. I have read several of the lc books but am unable to reduce down to 20 carbs a day or less because of insulin requirements. Any suggestions on this?

I love veggies of all types, kimchee, and haven't found a food I've loved (even limburger cheese) thus the large, large weight problem.

Thanks in advance for all input and help.

Kandy

lowjax
Sat, Mar-01-08, 17:46
Welcome to the LC way of life. There are a few other options out there besides Atkins where you don't have to get down to 20 carbs a day or less. I'm following a modified paleo diet (also called Neanderthin) and there are no carb limits. Just guidelines on what to eat and what not to. Weight loss is kind of tied in to what you eat though.

Dig around on the site for a while. There is a lot of good info here and a lot of helpful people.

Kisal
Sat, Mar-01-08, 19:45
Welcome! I'm glad you're here! :)

There is a special forum for diabetics on this site. You may find a lot of information there to help you. Here's a link:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

My very best wishes to you! :wave:

Kandy
Sun, Mar-02-08, 13:01
Thank you for the info that has been offered to me. I have been reading, reading and more reading. Lots to learn for an old dog!

I have read Atkins, Schwarzbein, Eades, Bernstein and South Beach.

I also have to take thyroid meds and did not know that soy could cause a problem. I have been eating mock oatmeal made with TVP several times a week. Is this something I should avoid? I really like it (it smells awful cooking but adding the cinnamon helps).

Again,

Thank you.

Kandy

TiredFedUP
Sun, Mar-02-08, 15:47
I'm sorry your family can't support you, that's really hard. I don't know what those guys have against a good steak with a side order of asparagus topped with hollandaise sauce. Silly boys... they don't know what they're missing!! Or baby field greens topped with chicken, parmesan, bacon bits with walnut or olive oil as a dressing. YUM! Hang in there, I have the same problem with my husband. I make him his pasta on the side. I even bake bread for him... now that is LOVE.

PS go check out the diabetes threads.... I've come across several mentions of people who are now off their meds because low carbing effectively controls blood sugar levels. By the way, what did your doc have against Atkins?

Kandy
Thu, Mar-06-08, 11:13
I don't know why the Dr. doesn't like Atkins...she says low carb is okay BUT NOT ATKINS...I think it may be too low in carbs for me while I am trying to adjust the insulin downward. I don't necessarily agree with her but right now I'm trying to adapt the meds to the way I eat so I can reduce the amount used.

I also know that I can lose weight on this WOE and that will also help to bring down my insulin needs. Now to get some exercise...

Kandy