PDA

View Full Version : not sure of myself

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CarlaJ3222
Tue, Feb-19-08, 12:42
:q: Okay here goes....
I am 40 years old, mother of 3 boys 14yo,10yo, and 4 yo. Through my life I never had a wt. problem until after the 2nd child. Then my wt peaked at 184 lbs! I got pg. with the 3rd child and never got under the 184 after I had him. So about 3 years ago, I was fed up with myself and depressed and a friend told me about the baratriac clinic I could go to and get adipex. I went and started the speed and man! did I love it! The lbs. melted off of me and it was exciting, I was feeling so good about myself and full of energy and really high on life again. My husband and I started going out more and dancing and just enjoying life again. Well, I reached my goal wt. at 130 and was in a size 6 and was gonna maintain, but nope quit the adipex, and started eating whatever I wanted when I wanted and no exercise and put it back on so fast it caused whip lash in my neck. I am here at 164 lbs, depressed (Depression is a monster I fight regardless of what is going on in my life) and really not motivated to do anything. I want to sit, I hate exercise, I don't want to give up my coffee, I love sweets! but I do want to loose wt. so decided to start the atkins, My husband did it several years ago and lost 50lbs on it so I was a little familiar with it. I have only been trying it for about 5-6 days now and have to admit, I do ok, except I do pinch some cake, or dab my finger in icing on the cake...I promise I only have a pinch, and a piece of candy here and there, but i bet that is too much especially on the induction! man, this is hard!! So thought I would introduce myself and see if anybody could give some encouragement/thoughts or whatever to help...
thanks

vavcon
Tue, Feb-19-08, 12:52
Hey Carla,

First off, good for you! You're going to LOVE this WOE once you get into the swing of things. Sometimes it takes a while for the pounds to melt off, but in some ways that's good - during that time you can form new eating behaviours and patterns that can last for LIFE.

Have you read any of Aktins' books? I can't recommend it enough. Once you get a real idea of what "a dab of cake" or icing or candy does to your entire body, it will be much easier for you to resist! The first two weeks of "clean eating" (aka induction) can be difficult, but if you take one day at a time and stay strong, your cravings for sweets will melt away like body fat! Good luck on your journey, and continue to use this forum - it is a never-ending stream of inspiration and support.
Chris

Kisal
Tue, Feb-19-08, 13:24
Welcome, Carla! I see by your Profile that you have read an Atkins book. I recommend that you reread it, cover to cover, not just the parts about Induction. You will be doing yourself a big favor!

If you can manage to resist the sugary sweets during Induction, and limit yourself to legal treats (there are many!), you will soon find it much easier to avoid temptations like cake and icing.

Check the Kitchen forum on this site:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

At the top of each sub-forum (breakfasts, main dishes, etc.), there is a Sticky that lists all the Induction acceptable recipes in that category.

Another site with good recipes is:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html

All the Induction acceptable recipes there are marked with an asterisk (*).

baba8
Tue, Feb-19-08, 16:43
:wave: Hello Carla, you can do this. low carb is a great way to live and eat and you will feel great!

best wishes baba8

LynnDee
Tue, Feb-19-08, 19:15
Hi Carla! Welcome!

BluePants
Sat, Feb-23-08, 18:25
Welcome Carla, You have come to the right place. Lots of helpful and supportive folks around to help you over those tough spots