PDA

View Full Version : New here with some questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

pixie406
Fri, Feb-15-08, 21:59
Hello everyone. Well I am not totally new, I have low carbed before, last summer and lost about 20 lbs. :) but then like many went back to old ways and began eating the wrong foods again. I really want to get healthy and lose about 20-25 lbs and I know that this is the best way to do it and I want to do it right this time and not cheat, ect. I also want to make it to maintenance and stay there.
I plan to start atkins induction sometime around the 21st, the only reason I am waiting is because of our grocery shopping schedule I wont be able to get the right foods until around then and couldnt possibly be successful with the small quantity of lc foods I currently have in the kitchen.
Here are my questions
1. For those of you who have gone back on atkins a 2nd time, was induction less successful for you? I have read it can be, this won't deter me at all, just curious.
2. Any creative snacks you have come upon for induction? Maybe a personal fav?
3. Any tips for someone who will be doing this on their own? My husband doesnt need or want to eat lc and I have a toddler who has obviously different nutritional needs.
Well I guess that is it for now. Thanks for reading, I know I tend to be a bit long winded.
I look forward to getting to know you all.
~Brandi

Kisal
Fri, Feb-15-08, 22:01
Welcome! It's nice to have you here! :)

pixie406
Fri, Feb-15-08, 22:09
thank you for your welcome!

BluePants
Sat, Feb-16-08, 10:21
Hi Brandi, glad you found us.
I am back for the XXX time and I lost 12 pounds on induction, and haven't lost a pound since (Im the board whinner) Anyway, I don't do many snacks but I like to roll up lunch meat in cheese and lettuce when I want a quick snack, and sometimes pork rinds
My husband doesn't either need to nor does low carb, but I feed him what I eat and he loves it. I keep fruit and bread in the house for him, and when I have a Rev Roll, he will have bread, when I have soup, I give him crackers, and it works for us. I substitue chayote squash for potatoes and he once asked how come I was eating potatoes but I just told him I pick around them LOL. I do but carrots in stuff and I do pick around them.
It can be done if you just don't make a big deal about it, he will never know.

kellyd23
Sat, Feb-16-08, 11:12
Hi Pixie welcome,
my favorite thing right now is one can of tuna, chicken,or ham only of course
if they are o carbs 1 oz. of cream cheese some zesty dill pickle, mayo and a dash of some habanero sauce. I find the combination to die for, and it helped me to get out of that stall I was in for a month. Keep coming here and looking around you will find it will help ten-fold.
Peace Out Kelly :D

pixie406
Thu, Feb-21-08, 22:38
Hi Brandi, glad you found us.
I am back for the XXX time and I lost 12 pounds on induction, and haven't lost a pound since (Im the board whinner) Anyway, I don't do many snacks but I like to roll up lunch meat in cheese and lettuce when I want a quick snack, and sometimes pork rinds
My husband doesn't either need to nor does low carb, but I feed him what I eat and he loves it. I keep fruit and bread in the house for him, and when I have a Rev Roll, he will have bread, when I have soup, I give him crackers, and it works for us. I substitue chayote squash for potatoes and he once asked how come I was eating potatoes but I just told him I pick around them LOL. I do but carrots in stuff and I do pick around them.
It can be done if you just don't make a big deal about it, he will never know.
Thanks for your welcome and advice It is much appreciated. Im sorry this is a bit late for a reply, its the first chance I have had to get on the computer for a few days.

pixie406
Thu, Feb-21-08, 22:39
Hi Pixie welcome,
my favorite thing right now is one can of tuna, chicken,or ham only of course
if they are o carbs 1 oz. of cream cheese some zesty dill pickle, mayo and a dash of some habanero sauce. I find the combination to die for, and it helped me to get out of that stall I was in for a month. Keep coming here and looking around you will find it will help ten-fold.
Peace Out Kelly :D
Thanks for all the suggestions. :) sorry this is a bit late for a reply, I havent been near the computer for days.

baba8
Fri, Feb-22-08, 02:16
hi Brandi! welcome and good luck. you will do well on low carb again, it just takes time to start over and to be patient. I too have started over a few times. I do think that induction was slow for me this time also. I saw on this site a few threads about the meat and egg low carb diet. It has been working for me as I am now on 2 challenges. It could be right for you to help to get things going again. Just a thought. best wishes to you and your efforts.
see ya
Beth

cricket56
Fri, Feb-22-08, 09:36
Hi Beth,
was wondering where you were lady! Don't know how you stand the winters! Been very rainy here and tornado watches all over the place. We are near Jackson CO and everything starts there!
Sounds like you found something that works for you.It is natural for metabolism to be resistent to going into ketosis if had already been on it before. Just the way the body works. Gets harder everytime so hope we all stay there this time!
Broke through my block by going very lowcarbs, and I do have butter and heavy cream for fats. Ido eat eggs breakfast and snack and meat at dinner. All very small portions since I get full easily and have no appitite. make sure you do drink tons of water to wash the toxins out from the ketogenic process.
got the pooches in the storm shelter already and the cats are last. Be well!