PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and a Modest Contribution

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

M Levac
Sun, Feb-10-08, 04:08
Greetings,

I've read quite a bit about Atkins and the LC diet in general. I've analyzed a great part of it and I think I can contribute a synthesis of all of the information into two short paragraphs and two short lines below. I am convinced that education is the solution to ignorance. I am convinced that the KISS principle works. I read frequently that the only way to truly understand the Atkins diet, one must read the book. There are still millions who cannot read. No doubt many of them are also obese and could use the information. It would be quite a feat to explain the entire book to a person. It would be so much easier and quicker to cite a few lines easily understood and remembered. Especially if those few lines contained the gist of what it's all about. And much like a slogan, a few short lines can be repeated easily and frequently. Please accept this modest contribution below as my way of saying thanks. If you wish to use the content of this post for whatever purpose, do so.

I use the term "energy storage". Perhaps it's not immediately understood what that means but I have yet to formulate as short a synthesis and use the term "get fat" without ambiguity because I already use "fats" to speak of the fats we eat.

Carbs = glucose
Glucose = insulin
Insulin = energy storage
therefore
Carbs = energy storage

Fats = no glucose
No glucose = no insulin
No insulin = no energy storage
therefore
Fats = no energy storage

1. Carbs => glucose => insulin => energy storage
2. Fats => no glucose => no insulin => no energy storage

Kind regards,

Martin Levac

BluePants
Sun, Feb-10-08, 11:15
Welcome Martin, Glad you joined.

Kisal
Sun, Feb-10-08, 14:36
Welcome, Martin! :)

edie
Sun, Feb-10-08, 15:23
Interesting post and welcome aboard! ;-)

piper258
Mon, Feb-11-08, 08:59
Interesting information. Thanks for trying to make this way of life understandable to everyone.

Rose1942
Mon, Feb-11-08, 10:11
Hi Martin, nice to meet you. Good post. You are right - KISS is often the way.

I take your point that millions cannot read, but millions can read very well, and simply do not wish to do so. I cannot tell you how many times I mention a great book to someone who is educated in a pretty impressive profession, and I get a look that says 'huh? a book?' These people have many excuses for not reading. They don't have time. They don't know what to read, there are so many books. They never got into the habit. They spend their leisure time, and get all their information from watching TV. They don't even know where the library is. Ad infinitum. They are perfectly capable of researching things on their own, but do not even try.

In any event, I like your idea and as a new member myself I wish to welcome you. This is a fine forum!

rose

M Levac
Tue, Feb-12-08, 00:35
They spend their leisure time, and get all their information from watching TV.

rose

In other words, they get their information from slogans. I think that what I wrote is short enough to be a slogan. All it takes now is to repeat it ad infinitum. Just like the ads on TV.

Perhaps call it "Carbs versus Fats: What to Eat?"

Rose1942
Tue, Feb-12-08, 20:27
It's funny, I've been doing this low carb thing for only a few short weeks and when I mention it to someone they are always full of reasons why this is an unhealthy diet. People are so conditioned to 'cut the fat' that they won't even listen to a simple explanation, and really, there is no simple explanation unless one goes into the whole chemistry business. And you lose them anyway. It's too difficult.

But kids - now, kids are easy, they get it the first time around:

'Grammie, don't you want any cake?"

'Oh yes Honey, I would love to have some cake but Grammie can't have cake because she can't eat sugar for awhile.' (this part is a little white lie, because 'awhile' is going to be a long time.)

"Why?"

"Because sugar makes Grammie feel sick, and there's a lot of sugar in cake.'

"Then can you have a cookie?"

'Nope, lots of sugar in a cookie too.'

'So you can't eat any things with sugar in them?'

'That's right!'

''Cause they make you sick?'

"Yep that's it exactly!'

(pause) (solumn look)

'Grammie, don't eat sugar.'