PDA

View Full Version : Big Pharma Wants YOU!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rose1942
Sat, Feb-09-08, 07:04
Good morning. As I was sipping my coffee this morning I was thumbing through the current Newsweek magazine, and I came upon a new (to me) ad extolling the wonders of insulin. Showing a photo of a somewhat overweight but not obese man, dressed immaculately and holding no less than 3 lovely loaves of freshly baked bread, it is captioned in very large print "I was completely ANTI-INSULIN now I'm all for it". He goes on to say, among other things, that he is diabetic, runs a successful deli, overcame his initial fear of insulin and "Now taking insulin is part of my daily routine, like making a sandwich." Implying, IMHO that he is not just going to make the sandwich, but is going to eat it because now he CAN, due to the insulin". This is what I imply, not what it says.

The ad is run by a pharmaceutical company named sanofi-aventis. I went to their suggested web link at www.moreaboutinsulin.com and found on the left hand side panel some material further promoting their product. In various links they tell you that diabetes is 'a progressive disease' and that normal A1c is 'under 7' and the usual blah blah blah. Here is one page http://www.goinsulin.com/importance_of_insulin/default.aspx - The Importance of Insulin.

This is what the general public is being bombarded with. And most people will tend to believe all that they read in ads like this. I have to admit that I would have myself just a short time ago. But by the grace of God I found information that led me to first try to control my blood sugar with the right diet, and I also found intelligent resources like this forum to support my decision to go in that direction. I am not saying that I will NEVER need pharmaceutical help to control this disease, but I am going to do everything I can to prevent or prolong that avenue of treatment, first. Ads like this suggest that there is no other way, only the magic insulin therapy, and as soon as possible.

I thought you would find this interesting.

Cajunboy47
Sat, Feb-09-08, 11:15
The television commercial that gets me to laughing is the one in which Wilford Brimley advertises diabetes testing equipment and supplies for a national company. He states that he is diabetic and he is big and fat and I doubt he's a healthy diabetic at that weight... But, still, even if he is, he seems to be a poor choice to push those products. Unless, they're trying to make people with diabetes believe it's ok to be fat, just test yourself often and follow your Doctor's advice and you'll be fine....

Brimley is that actor with the handlebar mustache, if anyone is trying to picture who he is... His probably most memorable role was in the movie "Cocoon"....

Rose1942
Sat, Feb-09-08, 11:34
Yeah I know Wilford Brimley. I think I have been getting sick for quite awhile because I was starting to need a rest only halfway through the day and got into the habit of watching The Price is Right when Drew Carrey took over the hosting job. Wilford is 'there' every day in a commercial telling us that if you call Liberty Mutual you can get a free meter (as if there is no other way - duh. Medicare and any other supplemental insurance ALL give you a free meter, and a large percentage of this particular audience is on Medicare already). He IS too fat, as you say, to be hawking anything medical, especially diabetes tools. Sidenote: since I have been low carbing, I have 'forgotten' to watch the show for the past couple of weeks, seems as if I am always too busy now - it must be a sign!