PDA

View Full Version : Light headedness???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

OKwoer
Thu, Mar-07-02, 12:12
Hi folks...
I'm nearing the end of my 2nd week of my new woe. My weight is steadily going down, and my energy is up. I started exercising and even feeling good about it (I normally HATE exercise). The last couple of days, however, I've experienced moments of light headedness. The most severe was last night as I was teaching. Is this normal? Anyone else have this side effect when starting out?
Thanks for the great support you all have already given me.
God Bless,

DWRolfe
Thu, Mar-07-02, 13:04
Hello, Jim...
...and welcome to the group! I saw one or two of your previous posts yesterday and I took particular notice of your stats. You'll note that mine are similar and it's good to have other large men around with whom to chart progress, etc. :roll:

To answer your specific question, yes, I experienced some lightheadedness during Induction. Actually, I think I experienced many different sensations, aches and pains during the first few weeks. Headaches and some leg cramping were more common for me. But I chalked them up to detoxing from white flour and sugar. By the end of my first month I felt great and did not experience any more of this. :thup:

Actually, I found the aches and pains of Induction much less of a worry or discomfort than some of the scary palputations and physical ailments from before I started LCing right after the New Year. Happy to report those strange and scary feelings are gone.

Are you drinking lots of water and taking suppliments?

I'm interested in watching your progress. You have a winning attitude!

Good luck!

Donald :wave:

DWRolfe
Thu, Mar-07-02, 13:10
I forgot the most important part... ...

...during those periods of lightheadedness, I discovered from reading posts here, that I was not eating enough. It's important to keep your calories up and perhaps add in some snacks in the event that you're currently sticking to three meals a day. I was a little worried about eating more at first, concerned that I would slow my loss and become accustomed to eating too much food. But I added in some extra calories and some snacks when I felt a little rundown and lightheaded and that helped me.

My worries were unfounded...eating a little more at the beginning did not lead to continuing gorging. :p

Sorry for the multi-posts...

Donald :wave:

OKwoer
Thu, Mar-07-02, 13:59
Donald,
I think your second post may have nailed my problem. Yesterday was a pretty frantic day and after having my fajita steak salad at lunch, I was unable to eat dinner and had to teach a class from 6 until 10. The groups I teach normally bring food to class and the instructors are encouraged to join in. Unfortunately, this class last night had nothing that a carb junkie would want to touch. So I didn't end up eating anything until I got home at 10:30.

Gee...you think that might have been it????

Thanks for your encouragement.
God Bless,

LC_Dave
Thu, Mar-07-02, 15:58
Welcome to the forum!
Another big guy!.....'excellent!'

Donald
That explains why I didn't suffer light headedness! Me - skip a meal - ha haha!

But seriously,

If I skip a meal on this WOE, I find that the cravings for carbs are really strong and the temptation to cheat is very great. Maybe that has something to do with dietry fat slowly releasing ketones to feed my body, whereas sugar will bring the blood sugar up instantly?

Again, Welcome to the forum JIm.

LC_Dave :wave:

ldypgmr
Thu, Mar-07-02, 18:15
Hi Jim

Yes I had some moments when I felt light in the head. I too put it down to detoxing.

So what do you teach. I just left teaching after 7 years. Taught Computer Science...programming and all that stuff.

Welcome aboard.

Not a big man....<g>

Dee

OKwoer
Thu, Mar-07-02, 22:07
Thanks for the feedback Dee.

I teach statistics and research methods. My actual training is in communication education, but when a small college finds someone willing to teach stat....then that's all they want you to teach.