PDA

View Full Version : Gretchen Becker Nails the Truth about Diabetes "Cures"

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lottadata
Tue, Feb-05-08, 10:31
If you're wondering about any of the diabetes cures you hear about in the media or see advertised in the Google Ads that pop up on diabetes web sites, Gretchen Becker has written a great blog post that should answer your questions very well.

Diabetes - A Miracle Cure (http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/c/5068/19892/miracle-cure/)

One thing that I found interesting is that she mentions that some of the herbs turn out to work because they damage the liver. When the liver is damaged it doesn't dump glucose into the blood stream nor does it turn protein into carbohydrate via gluconeogenesis. But that's the end of the good news. If you damage your liver you end up dead.

So you might want to be a bit more cautious before taking any herbal preparation from an exotic land that claims to lower blood sugar. It may very well work but at the cost of your health.

Charran
Wed, Feb-06-08, 11:35
Interesting article Jenny! Thanks for posting it!

KiaKaha
Sat, Feb-09-08, 19:40
Interesting. Does anyone know what the correlation is between our type of BG measuring here is and yours in the US.

We are told to stay under 8.0 as a reading on our monitors - a BGL of 10 is not so good and 20 is dire. But you guys quote people as 95 or 100 as being good.

Do you know how these 2 ways of measuring relate to each other? Is it just a straight x 10 comparison and if so, why do people think it is ok to be above 80?

RobLL
Sat, Feb-09-08, 22:21
divide by 18 to go from American to Rest of the World,

American:180 RotW 18
American 80 RotW 4.4 about

Charran
Sun, Feb-10-08, 00:40
Here is a link to a blood sugar converter. Just put in your amounts and press the button and it will give you a conversion. I use it alot because the States uses a different measurement than we use here and I never know what anyone is talking about unless I convert! http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/bs_conv.htm

Cajunboy47
Sun, Feb-10-08, 02:00
According to statistics, adverse effects caused by conventional synthetic medicine account for 86.6%, while 13.4% adverse effects are caused by herbal medicine.

Reference: http://safeherbsguide.com/

I think one of the key things mentioned at this site is that for most people, the language barrier is a problem in understanding the proper use of Chinese Herbal Medicine. I agree with this, as it was my greatest concern when I first started using Chinese Herbal Medicine... But knowing my Herbal Doctor and understanding her cautious approach to herbal use, I have complete confidence that taking herbs according to her instructions are safe, although, I would strongly advise that anyone trying anything should test and monitor as often as possible. I'm fortunate enough to have complete blood work done every 90 days or so....

KiaKaha
Sun, Feb-10-08, 04:30
Thanks for the Converter, that makes a lot more sense!!