PDA

View Full Version : my oopsie roll recipe

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

cleochatra
Mon, Feb-04-08, 12:02
picture tutorial here (http://cleochatra.blogspot.com/2008/01/sailor-scouts-make-my-revol-oopsie.html)

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=29086&c=504 <--- picture of oopsie with Wendy's Baconator

Cleochatra's Best Ever Revol-Oopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6~ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per

rdy2rde
Mon, Feb-04-08, 14:53
Hey Cleo..do you know what effect the 'not softening' of the cream cheese has on your rolls?

Lisa

cleochatra
Mon, Feb-04-08, 16:10
Not softening helps to keep the yolks colder. I've found when I tried to make the yolk mixture smooth, the mixture was warm or too liquid, both of which adversely affected the ability to successfully add the yolks to the whites without whites starting to break down.

Kristine
Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:17
A-ha! :idea: When I make my next batch of mehvolution rolls (dairy-free), I think I'll seperate the eggs and put the yolks+mayo back in the fridge while leaving the whites out.

LowCarbJen
Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:25
Ok, my first batch is in the oven but they aren't going to turn out any good. I couldn't get my egg whites to go stiff. What's the trick? How long do you have to beat for at what setting? Did I use too little of the tartar stuff? Mine came out like foam.

ElleH
Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:32
Did you use a mixer (an immersion blender won't do it)? If there is even 1 drop of egg yolk in it, they won't whip. If the bowl or beaters are oily or dirty, they might not whip either. I can't think of anything else. It takes about 4 minutes from fridge to stiff whites in my Sunbeam Stand Mixer on the number 11 (very high) setting.

cleochatra
Mon, Feb-04-08, 18:33
If yours were foamy, they weren't beat long enough. Foam is just the beginning. You want to go until the stiff peaks form.

Sometimes it seems like it is taking FOREVER, but you get used to it!

I use a hand mixer to mix the whites and use a quick motion, even with the handmixer, to mix all the faster.

The flat ones are still awesome for oopsie pizzas, french toast, wraps, you name it!

LowCarbJen
Mon, Feb-04-08, 19:28
Ok I mastered the egg white peaks! Now.. my main problem is this:
I can't separate the whites from the yolks!

I've tried it two ways, I've done it using my fingers and when I did that some of the yolk got in with the whites. Then the second time around I did it by breaking the egg and keeping the yolk in the bottom of the cup while I drained out the whites. However, some of the whites stayed with the yolk.. and it made the mixture too runny. When I poured it on the pan it ran off my pan! (I hardly mixed it, there was huge chunks of cream cheese)

Any advice on getting a thicker mixture and separating eggs?

One part of my second batch did look a little bit how it should of been and it tasted REALLY good. I imagined putting sugar free jam on it or something like that.. it reminded me of cream cheese crepes.

BluePants
Mon, Feb-04-08, 20:42
I think it just takes practice Jen. It matters if you get yoke in the white but I don't think it matters much to have white in the yoke. LOL
I use your second method, but I switch the yoke back and forth between the shells until most of the white is gone.

Mai23
Tue, Feb-05-08, 05:53
I had this problem and managed to find an egg separator in a local kitchen shop (apparently it was made somewhere in Scandinavia and they're rare in the UK but don't know about other countries). It's like a little china jug with a slit halfway up one side. You break the egg in and tilt it so that the white pours through the slit into your mixing bowl and the yolk stays put. Perfect for me as I'm a bit of a klutz - and can't imagine lc life without Cleo's oopsie rolls!

EMKAY 53
Tue, Feb-05-08, 11:04
Do these end up gooey or sticky the next day? I made the old rev rolls before and they went funny after they cooled.

Nancy LC
Tue, Feb-05-08, 11:07
I wouldn't sweat a bit of white clinging to the yolk. It is unavoidable. What you SHOULD do (and I need to remember to do this next time). Break each egg into a separate bowl, don't do it with your big batch of separated eggs. That way if you goof and get some yolk in the whites you only have to throw away one egg, not an entire batch.

PghLady74
Tue, Feb-05-08, 11:42
Ok I mastered the egg white peaks! Now.. my main problem is this:
I can't separate the whites from the yolks!

I've tried it two ways, I've done it using my fingers and when I did that some of the yolk got in with the whites. Then the second time around I did it by breaking the egg and keeping the yolk in the bottom of the cup while I drained out the whites. However, some of the whites stayed with the yolk.. and it made the mixture too runny. When I poured it on the pan it ran off my pan! (I hardly mixed it, there was huge chunks of cream cheese)

Any advice on getting a thicker mixture and separating eggs?

One part of my second batch did look a little bit how it should of been and it tasted REALLY good. I imagined putting sugar free jam on it or something like that.. it reminded me of cream cheese crepes.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14762469

Here's what I use to seperate my eggs. You just crack open the egg, ,dump it in there and the white runs thru as the yolk stays in the little bowl in the middle. I wouldn't be able to seperate an egg w/o it!!

It doesnt matter if there is white in with the yolk but you cant have any yolk in with the white.

cleochatra
Fri, Feb-08-08, 08:11
I learned to separate eggs from Jack Tripped on Three's Company. I don't know why the process stuck with me...

You don't have to absolutely keep yolk out of the whites. I have had a little dribble and still have been all right.

Aisleone
Tue, Feb-12-08, 19:27
I'm trying this recipe tonight. I've made them with another recipe but I like the idea of the cream cheese. They are in the oven so I'll let you know how they turn out soon!

rightnow
Tue, Feb-12-08, 21:50
Pour the egg in your hand and let the white slip between your fingers into a bowl below. You don't need to open your fingers much at all for this to happen.

PJ

TimesTwo
Wed, Feb-13-08, 15:50
Okay. These actually are the best rev roll recipe out there. However, 30 minutes was not a long enough cooking time. My oven temperature seems to be accurate most of the time, but these required just over an hour at 300 degrees to cook through to the middle.

ellen4621
Thu, Feb-14-08, 14:45
Wrong thread! Sorry!

deb34
Fri, Feb-15-08, 12:22
I see these rolls made with some SF maple syrup in the batter and used as a sub to make faux McGriddles...i love those things!

IrishShrty
Fri, Feb-15-08, 12:36
These are good with a tablespoon of cinnamon and splenda/sweetzfree added.
I like the Mayo Rev rolls for sandwiches, these are better IMO for a sweeter treat.

Elizellen
Fri, Feb-15-08, 13:17
My egg separator is similar to this one
http://www.oramacreations.gr/industrial_design/egg_separator_big.gif
But there are lots of different styles around like this
http://www.cayneshousewares.com/images/products/347383.jpg
and even this one
http://www.pete-online.us/Images2/Hillary%20Egg%20Separator.jpg

TimesTwo
Mon, Feb-18-08, 19:17
I've seen complaints about these being wet and eggy in the middle. At 30 minutes, I'm sure they would be!

Be prepared to bake these for an hour or a few minutes more! If they're starting to brown too much on the outside, lower the heat about 10 degrees and keep baking.

pennink
Mon, Feb-18-08, 19:21
I tried a new recipe today.

3 oz of cream cheese
and 4 eggs
45 minutes cooked

My biggest complaint has always been that they just don't have a lot of flavour. This time I heavily shook minced onion on the tops of them, and then some fleur de sel...

OMG best rev rolls EVER!!!!!

rightnow
Mon, Feb-18-08, 20:41
My biggest complaint has always been that they just don't have a lot of flavour. This time I heavily shook minced onion on the tops of them, and then some fleur de sel...
Caraway seed might be good for savory too.

What is fleur de sel?

PJ

pennink
Tue, Feb-19-08, 14:18
Here you go... more info about salt than you ever thought you'd need to know.

I was looking for a salt that would give me more bang for my sodium buck! and oooooooh, these different salts are amazing.

http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si_gourmet_reference.asp

Nancy LC
Tue, Feb-19-08, 14:45
That last egg separator is hilarious!

Lovimylife
Tue, Feb-19-08, 15:24
Maybe my oven is higher than it reads or something,but mine are cooked through and through in 30 minutes. I use cleochatra's oopsie roll recipe.

Manna
Tue, Feb-19-08, 17:58
I tried these last night and they were FABULOUS!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

And 30 minutes was just right for me, they were done completely, but still soft.

Aisleone
Tue, Feb-19-08, 18:27
I made a dozen with Mayo last night to use for sandwiches and burgers. I left them in at 300 for 45 minutes and they were perfect! I had a cheeseburger and salad for dinner tonight. I couldn't do without these now! I shook some Parmesan cheese and some Italian seasoning on them. Yummmmm!

AimeeJoi
Wed, Feb-20-08, 14:18
I love this recipe! I have been experimenting and last night i added 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed to the yolk mixture before i folded in my whites. They seem more bread-like and don't get as weird and sticky after you cool them. :thup:

scousie
Wed, Feb-20-08, 16:05
Can someone advise exactly how much Splenda to use??

Try4Me
Thu, Feb-21-08, 05:12
Use one little yellow packet of the splenda or 2 teaspoons of the spoonable splenda.

Hope this helps.

cleochatra
Thu, Feb-21-08, 05:51
You can also elect to not use Splenda and instead use other savory spices. I can't even taste the Splenda.

scousie
Thu, Feb-21-08, 07:12
Thanks for the help Try4me!

What sort of spices would you use Cleo?

I can't wait to try this!!

cleochatra
Thu, Feb-21-08, 08:37
The last time I made oopsies, I used dry mustard and dill. It was really delicious!

behin
Wed, Feb-27-08, 19:07
One note, I substituted the cream of tarter with vinegar.

As for the seperating the eggs, I used a pasta strainer, and it worked fine. I've also heard of cracking the egg then reaching in with a spoon and pulling out the yoke.

As for stiffening the eggs, the eggs actually seperate better cold, but stiffen better at room temperature.

Lastly, a tip from my grandma, if you don't have a mixer, you can use the shaking method. Just put the egg whites into a container, only fill it about a quarter of the way full of egg whites max, because they expand and you need room to shake. Put a lid on the container and start shaking! This works in jars, tupper-ware, etc. I successfully used a similar recipe to this for about 60 servings of diabetic rolls, and I used a 2 gallon gatorade jug. Be creative! Not to mention, this is good exercise, and kids love to shake it! Just make sure the lid is on TIGHTLY.

Ohh, and to boot, I used splenda brown sugar and it was great!

rodmick
Wed, Feb-27-08, 19:31
One note, I substituted the cream of tarter with vinegar.

As for the seperating the eggs, I used a pasta strainer, and it worked fine. I've also heard of cracking the egg then reaching in with a spoon and pulling out the yoke.

As for stiffening the eggs, the eggs actually seperate better cold, but stiffen better at room temperature.

Lastly, a tip from my grandma, if you don't have a mixer, you can use the shaking method. Just put the egg whites into a container, only fill it about a quarter of the way full of egg whites max, because they expand and you need room to shake. Put a lid on the container and start shaking! This works in jars, tupper-ware, etc. I successfully used a similar recipe to this for about 60 servings of diabetic rolls, and I used a 2 gallon gatorade jug. Be creative! Not to mention, this is good exercise, and kids love to shake it! Just make sure the lid is on TIGHTLY.

Ohh, and to boot, I used splenda brown sugar and it was great!

I used vinegar also and it seemed to whip up MUCH faster.

vavcon
Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:20
Vinegar? How much?

Also, for the mayo rr's - how much mayo per egg? Is the mayo the substitute for cream cheese?

pennink
Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:25
um, isn't brown splenda partly real sugar?

deb34
Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:30
yep, at least half sugar

cleochatra
Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:32
I never knew that about the Brown Sugar Splenda until someone told me. How disappointing is that! I was always looking forward to trying it someday!

pennink
Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:39
brown sugar twin is all fake. and it's good!

cleochatra
Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:50
Realllllly?

Have I told you I love you today?

pennink
Fri, Feb-29-08, 14:51
no! dammit... what's taken you so long?, huh? huh?

geeeezzzzz

rightnow
Fri, Feb-29-08, 17:21
behin, I had no idea the 'shaking' method would work for egg whites! And to think, all this time I was waiting on an expensive copper bowl to make it work, when I could have been Shakin' to the Oldies with Oopsies!

PJ

behin
Sat, Mar-01-08, 12:29
Actually, I was mistaken, I didn't use splenda brown sugar I used this: http://lowdashcarb.com/_wsn/page2.html

It's 0 carb, and the box looks exactly like the splenda box, so I grabbed it accidently instead of splenda brown sugar!

But it worked beautifully.

As for the shaking, it may not be high culture baking, but it works!

PghLady74
Sat, Mar-01-08, 17:05
I FINALLY got a muffin top pan! We had to have it transfered from another store since ours doesn't carry them. The only one in the district that doesnt. *scratching my head* Guess they don't think people in that area want to make them!
I am going to need to make more rolls on Mon or Tues when I'm off and will give it a try!! Should be nice to have a "mold" to keep them all a certain size.

lowjax
Sat, Mar-01-08, 17:05
I figured I'd add this here. We made some oopsie pizza. Mine are the 2 in the back. Each has one oopsie roll, 1/2 sliced small tomato, 1/4 cut ground beef, and 1/8 cup mozzarella. About 2-3 carbs per pizza.
My wife has the one in the front. No beef, more cheese, pizza sauce instead of sliced tomato. About 3-4 carbs per pizza.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/metallinostheos/FloridaVacation209-1.jpg

pennink
Sat, Mar-01-08, 17:19
Right now I have a whole regular sized pizza in the oven with oopsie crust.
I baked the crust to almost done, then put the pepperoni, green peppers, mushrooms and cheese on it.
Hope I can snag my dd's camera to snap a pic when it's done. It looks better than the regular pizzas!

cleochatra
Sat, Mar-01-08, 17:22
Penn-- I'd love to hear what you think of that one versus the cauliflower crust!

pennink
Sat, Mar-01-08, 17:25
I'm afraid to do the cauli crust. I'm hopeless with the 'grating' part as mine always seem to come out mushy.

I made the crust garlicy and herby. Then I made some caraway rolls too.

they are so pretty!

pennink
Sat, Mar-01-08, 17:49
tadaaaaa

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee266/pennink1/oopsiepizza.jpg

lowjax
Sat, Mar-01-08, 18:20
MMMMMM, that looks very very yummy. :yum: :yum: :yum: We'll have to try the full pizza next time.

EMKAY 53
Wed, Mar-05-08, 14:51
Okay...I made these today. They came out perfectly. With eager anticipation I gobbled one immediately. While the flavor is okay, I felt like I was eating air. They are so puffy, I don't think I will find them very satisfying. The oopsie ones definately taste better than the other ones, but I have a huge appetite....I could eat the entire recipe...easy. I guess I am too big of a pig for oopsie rolls :(

CarolynC
Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:17
Thank you for the great recipes, cleochatra.

On my first effort with the oopsie rolls, they looked great and the consistency (although somewhat angel food cake like) was nice. But, they were too eggy for my tastes. They could be because I used eggs of very large size. Also, I am a supertaster and therefore I taste things very intensely. (I've taken the online questionaire and dyed my taste buds blue to count them--I'm definitely supertaster.) So, for my second oopsie roll effort, I cut down to 2 very large eggs (rather than 3) and I added 2 T of flax meal in place of the missing egg. I really liked these--the egg taste was essentially gone. One less egg did keep the rolls from rising as much, but there was still plenty of batter for 6 nice sized rolls. It's a keeper. :thup:

cleochatra
Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:28
It's so nice knowing what you think about the recipe. Whether it's liked or not preferred is totally ok!

EMKAY-- You are so not a pig. LOL! Sheesh. You're small enough to be my pinky finger. I totally understand eating air or something without too much substance being unpalatable. I am not sure what might change that, save for leaving them on the counter so they're both cold and slightly more dry. If you've done both, you've done what you can, and chances are, they're just too light for tastes. And that's ok! I'm still so glad you tried them! The feedback is always very helpful.

Penn-- that looks beautiful! I hope you'll adopt me and feed me. :D

Carolyn-- I never knew about supertasters! That is so interesting! I also like your tweaks!

pennink
Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:30
*clearing out the spare room for Cleo to come and live with us.*

CarolynC
Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:38
Wikipedia has a good entry on supertasters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

On their list of problem foods, the only ones that I can stand to eat are cabbage and spinach, and then I much prefer them raw and not cooked. I can't handle coffee, beer, spicy foods, etc.

Here's a link to the taster test:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/interactives/supertaster/

pennink
Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:43
interesting, i'm a supertaster too. I like coffee, but it's got to be 'just so' and coffee, like Starbucks, I find bitter!

The only food on the list i'll eat is cabbage but it has to be cooked to death and swimming in butter.

CarolynC
Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:53
I liked cooked cabbage but only if it's fried in bacon grease. :) (I'll have to give frying in butter a try.)

pennink
Fri, Mar-07-08, 18:54
oh, i boil it first then smother it in butter and sometimes bacon bits.
I don't like cabbage if it's not cooked enough. Almost metal taste.
No wonder all the parsnips, sprouts, and fish was left on my plate when I was a kid!

locarbbarb
Sun, Mar-09-08, 10:09
Good morning! :daizy:

Cleochatra, first I want to thank you for this recipe. Second, I want to tell you how much I enjoy reading what you write and your sense of humor, and third....

I made Oopsie Roll Pancakes this morning. I figured if you could make waffles out of them, then you could make pancakes, too. They were so good, they tasted like bread pudding! :yum:

Cleochatra's Best Ever Revol-Oopsie Rolls

3 large eggs
1 pkg Splenda
dash of salt
pinch of cream of tartar
3 ounces cream cheese (not Tbsp!) Do not soften!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Separate the eggs and add Splenda, salt, and cream cheese to the yolks. Use a mixer to combine the ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (if you're using the same mixer, mix the whites first and then the yolk mixture). Using a spatula, gradually fold the egg yolk mixture into the white mixture, being careful not to break down the whites. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray and spoon the mixture onto the sheet, making 6 mounds. Flatten each mound slightly.

Bake about 30 minutes (You want them slightly softer, not crumbly). Let cool on the sheet for a few minutes, and then remove to a rack and allow them to cool. Store them in a bread sack or a ziplock bag to keep them from drying out.

Makes 6~ about 85 calories a piece, >1 carb per

I added 1/2 scoop of vanilla whey powder to the yolks, plus 1/2 tsp. of vanilla. I used 2 drops Sweetzfree instead of the Splenda. Cooked them just like regular pancakes - used a 1/3 cup for each pancake and got 10. I nuked them for about 1 min. on medium to make sure the insides were fully cooked before serving.

I ate 5 with SF syrup and DH ate 5 (they are so light!) Magnifique!

P.S. I noticed someone mentioned Brown Sugar...The absolute BEST SF Brown Sugar I've found is DiabetiSweet. It is great.

I found it locally in a store called Target, but before that I found it at Netrition. LINK (http://www.netrition.com/diabetisweet_page.html) It's not cheap, but to me it's worth every penny. Tastes just like the real thing and no one in my family has ever had any stomach upset from it. :thup:

Thanks again, oopsie-girl! :)

CarolynC
Sun, Mar-09-08, 10:42
I used to oopsie recipe (with 2 T of almond flour in place of one of the eggs) to make a pizza crust today. I don't think that anyone would have known that the crust contained no wheat flour. It looked and tasted like a regular crust. :thup:

Purple_Kni
Tue, Mar-11-08, 09:53
First let me say that I am not a fan of oopsies, but I acknowledge their usefulness and I have made a lot of them trying to get a recipe that "hit the spot" for me. One tip I learned that helped was when trying to make the oopsie for hamburger buns. I took a piece of foil and carefully folded it into a strip of foil about two inches wide by ten inches long. Be careful to fold carefully and smoothly so the strip is flat and smooth, then crimp the ends together to form a ring about four to five inches in diameter, make six of these and spray with oil or butter them. Pour the oopsie batter into the rings while keeping the rings pressed down on the cookie sheet. If your careful, you will fill the rings (like egg rings at McDonalds) and when you bake them, you will get a uniform bun shaped oopsie that works great as a bun. You can even butter the tops at the end of baking to give it more color and sprinkle a few shreds of cheddar on top for that gourmet bun look and feel.

You can also buy these rings from cook specialty places in different diameters. Good luck!

noopy1977
Tue, Mar-11-08, 09:57
WOW thanks!! I was wondering how to make them thicker!! I made them for the 1st time this weekend and they were kinda eggy tasting and flat as a pancake!

Manna
Tue, Mar-11-08, 09:58
Great idea!!

Kisal
Tue, Mar-11-08, 15:25
I noticed that my first batch of Oopsies tasted kind of eggy. I could taste the Splenda, too, which I disliked, although that would be fine if you intended to make waffles or french toast out of them. The second batch I made was like this, and they're much better, IMO:

3 egg yolks
3 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/4 tsp onion powder
Dash of salt
2 T flax meal

3 egg whites (room temperature)
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/4 tsp xanthan gum

Beat egg yolk mixture until creamy. Beat egg white mixture until very stiff. Gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture.

Bake at 325 F for 5 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 F and bake for another 25 minutes.

When I make them again, I will use more onion powder, or maybe a combination of onion powder and garlic powder. They are also "breadier," I think. They're great as burger buns!

MissMary
Wed, Mar-12-08, 07:06
Where do you purchase Xanthan gum? Having a difficult time finding it at a regular store. Not even sure which aisle!

Kisal
Wed, Mar-12-08, 10:42
Where do you purchase Xanthan gum? Having a difficult time finding it at a regular store. Not even sure which aisle!I think most health food stores carry it. It seems to be fairly common around where I live (but not in regular stores.) You can also buy it online. I'm sure netrition.com carries it. It may seem expensive, but one bag of it will last you for a long time. I bought mine back in 2004, and haven't had to replace it yet! :) BTW, I store it in the freezer.

locarbbarb
Wed, Mar-12-08, 11:01
Here is a great thickener from Netrition! LINK (http://www.netrition.com/expert_foods_not_starch_page.html)

Calianna
Wed, Mar-12-08, 17:59
About the problem of separating the whites from the yolks -

I've noticed that sometimes I've managed to hit the egg too hard, and end up breaking the yolk as I was cracking the egg (not while making a batch of oopsies though - yet!) Which is one reason why it's good to have a separate bowl to put the white in before dumping it in with the rest of the whites.

Anyhow, if you're having trouble separating the eggs, and can't find an egg separator, just dump the whole egg in that bowl when you crack it, and you should be able to easily lift an unbroken yolk out of it, just by carefully scooping it up with your fingers.

cleochatra
Wed, Mar-12-08, 18:28
That's great advice!

I also use the shell to lift out naughty eggy bits.

MissMary
Thu, Mar-13-08, 04:29
Thank you for the Xanthan gum info. I will look for it at a health food store.

I took a look at the thick and thin on that website locarbbarb and that looks good to.

Why keep the Xanthan gum in the freezer though?

Lol84
Thu, Mar-13-08, 05:29
My Xanthan gum is kept in the cuboard, why the freezer? does it keep longer?

misschris
Fri, Mar-14-08, 19:08
I wasn't sure about these... and I've been struggling with my low carb lifestyle, so these came in perfect time. I had some trouble... in my effort not to break down the whites, I don't think i mixed them well enough, as most of the yolk mixture went straight to the bottom... leaving me with a liquid mess at the bottom, also not leaving the rolls not very thick on the pan. I think next time I can get it better. I was worried, they were pretty "spongy" and smelled eggy (good, but eggy)

However, I just fried up 2 Steak-ums, some grilled onions and peppers, topped it with swiss cheese and mustard, and put it all between 2 oopsie rolls... It is going to be a while before my brain and stomach get in sync and realize that what I ate was LEGAL!!!! Unbelievable!! So filling, so sinful. I didn't taste the bread, or the texture because all the goodness in the middle was overpowering everything else. But I was able to hold it in my hands and eat it. This was heaven!! thank you SO much for the recipe! I'm going to wrap some little cocktail weenies in "strips" of this tomorrow and have pigs in faux blankets :yum: The possibilities are endless. I think next time I'll leave out the splenda and add something more savory, but the splenda wasn't too noticeable. I've been craving a Monte Cristo, so I think sometime this weekend I'll give it a shot with these... Thanks again!!

cleochatra
Sat, Mar-15-08, 09:25
There's something else you can try if the rolls aren't behaving well. I found Wilton cake pans (mini ones) at Super Target and King Soopers. They make some awesome-looking buns.

No xanthan needed.

I think on the pans, what works when the batter starts to separate is to make piles with the firmer batter, then make wells in the middle and place the more liquidy stuff. It's like mashed potatoes with gravy. Then it bakes up more solidly.

Here are the Wilton pans.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/cleochatra/Bento%20and%20Cooking/th_IMG_2148.jpg

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/cleochatra/Bento%20and%20Cooking/th_IMG_2153.jpg

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/cleochatra/Bento%20and%20Cooking/th_IMG_2158.jpg

stashyc
Sun, Mar-16-08, 16:09
Hmm, my first batch of oopsies are in the oven, and I can tell already that they will kick the other version's butt! The batter didn't separate, and they are baking up evenly. With the old recipe, I always had a couple of dogs in each batch- too small, too thin, burnt.
These should help tremendously this week with my final 3 day surge of meat and egg- I'll have egg salad on oopsie, then tuna salad on oopsie, then egg salald on oopsie again!
I tried the onion sprinkles version someone tried on this thread, and they smell divine. Can't wait to try them!

misschris
Mon, Mar-17-08, 19:25
I made more rolls and had better luck this time. However, I blended the yolk mixture completely (no lumps), and put it in the fridge while whipping up the whites. Then folded it in and it didn't fall apart. I left the splenda out also. Also, I set the timer to bake for 30 minutes, and then left the rolls in the oven for another 5-7 minutes before taking them out.

I am not eating these during the day, but I'm enjoying them in the evening. Last night I made the french toast, but I just dipped them in some heavy cream with one capsule of cinnamon (they were eggy enough, I couldn't stomach adding more egg, so saved a carb there, and I didn't add vanilla, so saved some carb there), fried them in butter and topped them with sugar free maple syrup, then topped them with a little whipped cream. They were fabulous!! If you don't have many carbs left in the day, this is a really good sweet treat in the evening, I had 2 slices all for about 3.5 carbs, and it was plenty filling.

Tonight I just heated up a roll, topped with butter, put a little Caramel Torani syrup on top and topped with whipped cream. Very simple, easy and absolutely delish!!

The other night I cut the oopsie into cubes, tossed them over heat with butter to coat and then threw them in a ziploc of granular splenda and cinnamon and had "dough-not" holes!!, they were delish!!

waywardsis
Wed, Mar-19-08, 14:16
In your honour, Cleo, I am issuing an Oopsie Challenge :) See this thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=7343122#post7343122) for details.

Made a really good pizza crust today...mmmmmm, pizza. :doah: The possibilities really are endless. My sister recently went gluten-free (and feels 100% better!) and really needs some good bread substitutes - these are perfect, and much tastier/healthier than the gluten-free breads you find in stores.

Cleo, you might just be canonized by the Church of Lowcarb for this. After you're dead, of course. Which won't be for a long, long time. If ever.

cleochatra
Wed, Mar-19-08, 15:35
LOL, wayward!

You rock!

I might add a few of my own, too, if that's ok. I'm in the kitchen today, and have some new things to share. (I might also swipe a few of yours)...

waywardsis
Thu, Mar-20-08, 07:13
I am all about the sharing :)

Anyone mind if I post some of the variations you've already come up with? I am all over the doughnut holes idea! (or as we call them, Timbits, after the delicious and now untouchable, for me, Tim Horton's version)

Which now has me thinking about croutons, for some reason...

cleochatra
Thu, Mar-20-08, 07:42
I tried the croutons. It was pretty bad. Think dry and eggy. I did try, though! They smelled superb...all the way to the trash can.

(I tried the cauliflower dough as croutons, too. Don't ask.)

Bread crumbs, though, from oopsies? Another story entirely. I have had some good things happening there, including a cheesecake crust I'm developing.

IrishShrty
Thu, Mar-20-08, 10:06
If you add a 1/2 box of your favorite sugar-free jello (DRY)to the yolk batter, it really gives it a yummy flavor too, these are yummy just for a plain sweet treat.

deb34
Thu, Mar-20-08, 10:35
Cleo and others, is there going to be one particular place where all the 'OOPsie' recipe variatons can be collected together so that someone (like me) will be able to find them easily? I find having to scroll through muliple pages of multiple threads confusing and I'm afraid I will miss my 'lifesaver' recipe if I miss a thread or a post somehow...

could someone consider collating them all into a sticky or page of links for easy access (will they all be on your blog, cleo?)

cleochatra
Thu, Mar-20-08, 10:42
deb-- I do have 90% of the recipes compiled on my blog along the right hand side according to types of recipes.

I try to keep adding new ones as they come up, but I like to ask permission when possible, since they folks who think them up have the right to tell me to go fly a kite. :D This means I'm not always as expedient at updating my blog as I'd like to be with the new recipes. At one point I thought I'd form a cooking-only blog, and then gave up that idea, since I'm too busy.

bike2work
Fri, Mar-21-08, 11:28
Hey -- these are really good! I never tried rev rolls because I'm not all that crazy for souffles. But when I read that these don't taste eggy and hold together well, I decided to give it a shot. I used less Splenda, though, because I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

I used two to make a warm roast beef and brie sandwich -- yum. I think the next sandwich will be warm roast beef, Jack or Havarti cheese, and roasted, peeled poblano chile.

Thanks Cleo! Thanks for answering my pm so quickly, too.

cleochatra
Fri, Mar-21-08, 11:38
That sounds great, Allison! I love your use of cheeses.

bike2work
Thu, Mar-27-08, 11:18
I'm here to report on my most recent oopsie test: almond butter in place of cream cheese. I used 6 tablespoons (3 fluid ounces).

These are unlike regular oopsies: they are thick and crisp, like meringues with nuts. They don't have the bread-like, flexible properties of cream cheese oopsies. They taste good, but ultimately, I'm not sure what to do with them but eat them straight up. They just don't have the flexibility to make sandwiches.

I hope that's useful information for anyone who was thinking of trying it.

cleochatra
Thu, Mar-27-08, 14:15
Cool! It sounds delicious. I wonder if a low-carb cinnamon-roll-like frosting could be used to cover them and make them like dessert or breakfast buns?

Calianna
Thu, Mar-27-08, 18:30
Ohmygoodness, did I ever mess up a batch of oopsies tonight! :lol:

I didn't follow my own advice to break the eggs into a separate bowl and scoop the unbroken yolk out with my fingers before putting the white in the mixing bowl, so you guessed it, after I had 2 or 3 egg whites in the big mixing bowl, I accidentally dropped a yolk in there, which of course broke on impact.:bash:

I tried to scoop it out, but there was so much yolk that I couldn't get out that I just tossed that whole mess in with the rest of the yolks. Then I got out 3 more eggs (making this a triple batch - I'd already intended to make my usual double batch), and once again throwing caution to the wind (I'm a slow learner), separated the eggs over the big bowl of whites again. No mishaps this time, and the 6 or 7 egg whites (I lost count) whipped up nicely.

I ended up tripling everything except the cream cheese - only used 8 ounces of that. I figured since I had so much egg white in with my yolks, surely I didn't need a full 9 ounces of cream cheese in there too, I'd never get it all to fold in. Besides, I didn't feel like getting out another box of cream cheese, just to have that 9th ounce.

Well anyhow, I should have probably just tossed the messed up egg whites in the fridge with their yolks to make scrambled eggs tomorrow, and started over, because it took a LOT of folding to get all the yolk mixture folded in, so the egg whites deflated quite a bit. The mixture was still frothy, but not enough to keep the mixture from spreading allll over the baking sheet.

I'd bought some of the mini cake pans the other day, so I did have 6 of those that aren't totally flat, but the rest of the oopsies cooked together with little "seams" between their miss-shapen selves, as they spread all over the pan.

They're flat enough to be used as wraps, but not quite big enough. I'm sure they'll be fine as french toast or very thin, very oddly shaped sandwiches. :lol:

If I ever deflate my egg whites so much again, I think I'll try spreading the batter in some big pie pans - at least that way they'd be more uniform in shape and wrap sized.

BetsyJ64
Fri, Mar-28-08, 09:41
Cool! It sounds delicious. I wonder if a low-carb cinnamon-roll-like frosting could be used to cover them and make them like dessert or breakfast buns?

Posted this before but it disappeared.

I have been making "Rev Cinnabons" for awhile now - the regular rev recipe w/Sweetzfree & cinnamon added to the yolks, then "frosted" w/cream, butter, Sweetzfree, vanilla & a little cream cheese whipped into a spread.

deb34
Fri, Mar-28-08, 09:53
cream, butter, Sweetzfree, vanilla & a little cream cheese whipped into a spread.

this could be a substitute for vanilla pudding if you played with the consistency...I'm going to try it. :) thanks for the idea!

Sandi S
Fri, Mar-28-08, 12:54
Posted this before but it disappeared.

I have been making "Rev Cinnabons" for awhile now - the regular rev recipe w/Sweetzfree & cinnamon added to the yolks, then "frosted" w/cream, butter, Sweetzfree, vanilla & a little cream cheese whipped into a spread.

Oh great, another temptation from you!!!

I don't make the oopsie thing either, I prefer the original but I do think the extra cream cheese might compensate for and be a little forgiving of mixing technique.

I just made a batch of rev's yesterday but I think I will try this cinny thingy of yours tomorrow Betsy, I especially like the frosting idea, if it works out well for me than I think I might have a new toy to play with in the kitchen!

I'm thinking of stuff already lol

BetsyJ64
Fri, Mar-28-08, 13:20
I prefer the original but I do think the extra cream cheese might compensate for and be a little forgiving of mixing technique.

Traitor!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sandi S
Fri, Mar-28-08, 14:31
Traitor!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wha? I make original rev rolls not oopsies, sue me =p

BetsyJ64
Fri, Mar-28-08, 15:49
Wha? I make original rev rolls not oopsies, sue me =p

OH!!! I thought you were saying that the oopsies w/their extra cream cheese would hold up better!!!!! :D

feelskinny
Fri, Mar-28-08, 18:22
Mmmm! Going to give that a go this weekend!
Thanks!

cleochatra
Fri, Mar-28-08, 18:23
What is sweetzfree?

Calianna
Fri, Mar-28-08, 18:49
What is sweetzfree?

It's a highly concentrated form of liquid splenda, only available online - I think they only have an ordering "window" of a few hours a month or something like that. I"m sure someone who has used it can come along and give you the details.

~~~~~~~~~

I went ahead and made another batch of oopsie's today, and actually followed my own suggestion to break each egg individually into a separate bowl, scoop out the yolk with my fingers, then dump the white into a mixing bowl. Whaddaya know, it actually helped!

This batch came out much better, I actually had poofy oopsies!

bike2work
Fri, Mar-28-08, 22:33
What is sweetzfree?
http://www.sweetzfree.com/

One drop = 1.5 teaspoons sugar
0.25 teaspoon = 1 cup sugar
1 ounce = 24 cups of sugar

I find it difficult to use straight because it is so concentrated, but I use it diluted with more water. It has no fillers, no maltodextrin, so it has zero carbs.

The order window is gone. You can order any time now.

BetsyJ64
Sat, Mar-29-08, 05:03
Some will say that Sweetzfree is expensive, but let me tell ya, I bought a 2oz. bottle last June ($36) that I am STILL using, and I bake A LOT. Definitely worth it to me in the long run. The only time I use granular Splenda anymore is if it is needed for texture.

Sandi S
Mon, Mar-31-08, 07:26
Some will say that Sweetzfree is expensive, but let me tell ya, I bought a 2oz. bottle last June ($36) that I am STILL using, and I bake A LOT. Definitely worth it to me in the long run. The only time I use granular Splenda anymore is if it is needed for texture.

Same here, the only time I use the granular now is when I sprinkle a half teaspoon on my gingerbread muffin in the morning.

When I take it out of the MW I put a small amount of butter on top just for moistness and then sprinkle the splenda and cover with a small plate for a few minute, turns into a nice icing.

BetsyJ64
Mon, Mar-31-08, 09:32
Same here, the only time I use the granular now is when I sprinkle a half teaspoon on my gingerbread muffin in the morning.

When I take it out of the MW I put a small amount of butter on top just for moistness and then sprinkle the splenda and cover with a small plate for a few minute, turns into a nice icing.

WHAAAA??? Gingerbread Muffin??? Hello?! Recipe?!

Sandi S
Tue, Apr-01-08, 04:35
WHAAAA??? Gingerbread Muffin??? Hello?! Recipe?!
Haha.... You crack me up!

DH found a Starbucks in Ottawa that sells sugarfree syrups, they only had a few choice so he bought a gingerbread and a hazelnut syrup and omg they are good.

I can't speak for DaVinci or another brand but these starbuck syrups are really really good.

I just put a tablespoon in a one minute muffin and its comes out so yummy, then put the butter and granular splenda on top and let it sit covered for about a minute and you have a nice icing on it too.

Gingerbread Muffin
2 Tbl Butter
1 Egg
1/4 C Flax Meal
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbl Gingerbread SF Syrup

Icing
1/4 tsp Butter
1/2 tsp Granular Splenda

Melt butter in MW safe bowl, add syrup and egg, beat until blended then add flax and baking powder and mix well.

MW for 1 minute, then spread butter over top and sprinkle with granular splenda and cover (tea saucer works well for me) for about a minute until the splenda melts with the butter. You don't want a lot of butter for the icing, just enough to wet the top of the muffin is enough, in fact if you could brush it on it would give the proper amount.

chrysalis1
Thu, Apr-03-08, 05:02
how many of these oopsie rolls/day should you eat . I already ate 8 rounds and I am doing induction.

pennink
Thu, Apr-03-08, 05:12
usually, 2, Chrys... I don't think anyone should eat a whole batch, especially on induction. If you've used the 3 oz of cream cheese, that's pretty much your whole cheese allowance for the day. It won't hurt you, but don't do it all the time.

chrysalis1
Fri, Apr-04-08, 02:52
I think I am eating too much af everything. I feel FAT. I work out too damned hard and am eating too low carbs to not BUDGE. TOM coming. Everyone makes it seem like the "rolls" can be eating in unlimited quantities( i mean at least more than 2 rounds a day at 85 caories each),after this batch they will be made in my house sporadically.

Elizellen
Sat, Apr-05-08, 11:13
Chrysalis, if you are not eating other cheese in the day there is no reason you could not eat more than 2 of them unless you think that they are giving you cravings for real bread!

As I think had been said in other threads, at 5 foot nine you are probably fairly close to a good weight already so may not experience the 'woosh' that some others with lots more to lose will have on induction.

However with all the exercise you are doing I am sure you will soon see fat loss even if your weight doesnt go down much, so make sure you check your inches or get a too-tight outfit and keep trying it on to see if you are losing your excess fat.

bike2work
Sun, Apr-06-08, 11:59
Reporting on my latest experiments:

- I made a batch of oopsies using the creamy part of a French triple cream cheese called Delice de Bourgogne (looks like brie) in place of the usual American cream cheese. The results were lovely, cheesy oopsies. Very good flavor.

- I also made a batch of the same, using a lot of the rind along with a little of the creamy part. Somehow, these turned out even better tasting. This is a good use for the rind, which I don't like on this cheese because it's a little bitter and acrid (different from actual brie). I feel like I got my money's worth from the cheese in this batch because I would have thrown the rind away otherwise.

BTW, I did not use sweetener in these.

cleochatra
Sun, Apr-06-08, 15:44
I tend to not eat more than two oopsies as a sandwich per day--if that. Knowing I can have them is generally enough for me to feel satisfied.

livesimply
Mon, Apr-07-08, 17:24
Reporting on my latest experiments:

- I made a batch of oopsies using the creamy part of a French triple cream cheese called Delice de Bourgogne (looks like brie) in place of the usual American cream cheese. The results were lovely, cheesy oopsies. Very good flavor.

- I also made a batch of the same, using a lot of the rind along with a little of the creamy part. Somehow, these turned out even better tasting. This is a good use for the rind, which I don't like on this cheese because it's a little bitter and acrid (different from actual brie). I feel like I got my money's worth from the cheese in this batch because I would have thrown the rind away otherwise.

BTW, I did not use sweetener in these.
Would you say it's very similar to brie? I just bought some today and would love to try it in this recipe. How did you use the rind--did you process it in a food processor or what? In the second batch, would you guesstimate 2/3 rind, 1/3 cheese? And for the creamy part, did you just let it come to room temperature? Thanks!!

livesimply
Tue, Apr-08-08, 06:40
Gingerbread Muffin
2 Tbl Butter
1 Egg
1/4 C Flax Meal
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbl Gingerbread SF Syrup

Icing
1/4 tsp Butter
1/2 tsp Granular Splenda

Melt butter in MW safe bowl, add syrup and egg, beat until blended then add flax and baking powder and mix well.

What size MW bowl--custard cup? Approx. how many oz.? THANKS--this sounds delicious!

BetsyJ64
Tue, Apr-08-08, 06:54
I will answer for Sandi, b/c I believe she is no longer a member here.

I've made this in a round tupperware container, as well as a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Both work very well. Neat idea for the "icing", too - it really does work.

livesimply
Tue, Apr-08-08, 07:03
thanks so much!

willow972
Thu, Apr-10-08, 15:07
These are my absolute new favorite thing about low-carbing...I made these and then for lunch made a turkey club sandwich...it was so yummy...I have a ton of ideas for these...I'm so glad I found this recipe

cleochatra
Thu, Apr-10-08, 22:32
Hi, willow! I love turkey clubs! You are making me drool!

Calianna
Fri, Apr-11-08, 07:30
I made oopsie "garlic bread sticks" last night to go with my pasta e fagiole... minus the pasta and fagiole, so basically I ended up with vegetable soup. But I always put hot italian sausage in my pasta e fagiole, so for me it was vegetable and sausage soup. Not the same, but pretty good, nevertheless.

So anyhow, about the garlic oopsie/bread sticks... I just made a one egg+one oz cream cheese batch, and spread out the batter on the pan in 4 vaguely stick like shapes. Then after they came out of the oven, I brushed melted garlic butter over them. I think if I do them again, I'll pipe the batter onto the pan instead of trying to spread it out into a stick shape. I have decorating sleeves and tips, but I think in this case, just stuffing the oopsie batter into a sandwich bag and snipping off the corner to pipe it onto the tray would suffice.

They were tasty, nevertheless, and even soaked up the broth from the soup, just like breadsticks would have done.

willow972
Fri, Apr-11-08, 07:59
I made oopsie "garlic bread sticks" last night to go with my pasta e fagiole... minus the pasta and fagiole, so basically I ended up with vegetable soup. But I always put hot italian sausage in my pasta e fagiole, so for me it was vegetable and sausage soup. Not the same, but pretty good, nevertheless.

Calianna,
Great idea to pipe the mixture...I'm going to try that

W~

[QUOTE=cleochatra]Hi, willow! I love turkey clubs! You are making me drool!

Cleo,
I was so happy just to eat a sandwich again and not have this mess in my hands :lol:

maria150
Mon, Apr-14-08, 13:30
What is the best way to store / reheat oopsies? I made a batch today -- LOVE IT -- but have 5 left and not sure how to store/reheat them...

Also, another question... mine were kind of flaky... I think I might not have cooked them long enough... i did the 300 degrees for 30 minutes... they weren't brown on top... just slightly golden... perhaps they needed more time...

THANKS CLEO for this recipe!!! i can finally eat hot dogs in a "bun" again :)

BetsyJ64
Mon, Apr-14-08, 14:30
What is the best way to store / reheat oopsies? I made a batch today -- LOVE IT -- but have 5 left and not sure how to store/reheat them...

Also, another question... mine were kind of flaky... I think I might not have cooked them long enough... i did the 300 degrees for 30 minutes... they weren't brown on top... just slightly golden... perhaps they needed more time...

THANKS CLEO for this recipe!!! i can finally eat hot dogs in a "bun" again :)
In my opinion and experience, 30 minutes at 300 is NOT long enough to bake any kind of rev rolls, oopsies or whatever. FWIW, I bake them at 300 for no less than 45 minutes. They are simply not done in my opinion, at 30 minutes. At 45, they are browned nicely and cooked all the way through.

livesimply
Mon, Apr-14-08, 14:32
In my opinion and experience, 30 minutes at 300 is NOT long enough to bake any kind of rev rolls, oopsies or whatever. FWIW, I bake them at 300 for no less than 45 minutes. They are simply not done in my opinion, at 30 minutes. At 45, they are browned nicely and cooked all the way through.
Thanks for posting this--I only made the oopsie rolls once, and didn't like them at all. Too soft, and kinda wet. Am trying again tomorrow and will bake longer.

maria150
Mon, Apr-14-08, 15:17
sorry, just need to know the best way to store/reheat these oopsie rolls? thanks so much!

BetsyJ64
Mon, Apr-14-08, 15:57
OH! Sorry about that! I store mine in the fridge in a ziplock bag w/holes in it for air to circulate. I have also had god luck freezing them in a double ziplock (no holes). To reheat, pop them in the toaster. I haven't had good luck reheating in the microwave - it shrinks them.

gellybelly
Mon, Apr-14-08, 17:54
mine were really thin, what did i do wrong, probably stirred too much, REALLY good, but thin :help:

dianneone
Sat, Apr-19-08, 20:11
now I'm dieing to try these,LowCarbJen you are so cute haha love your story, I crack the egg seperate the shell a little off to one side, and whala the white drains out..

Calianna
Sun, Apr-20-08, 04:38
Gellybelly - it was probably stirring too much when you combined the egg yolk mixture with the stiffly beaten whites. They yolk mixture needs to be folded in very gently. You'll probably still see some clumps of egg white that aren't fully folded.

Just to make sure - you need to have your egg whites beaten very stiffly too. So stiff that you can turn the bowl upside down and the egg whites dont' even move.

If you can't achieve that kind of stiffness, make sure you're adding the pinch of cream of tartar to the egg whites (not the yolks - some folks have made that mistake), and that your bowl and beaters are squeaky clean, dry, and free of any greasy, fatty or oily residue. Some say it also helps to have the eggs at room temperature, and the bowl and beaters chilled.

Dawn125
Sun, Apr-20-08, 17:54
I made these last night for the first time. I made the mistake of not reading the directions and added the cream of tarter to the egg yolk mixture AND softened the creamcheese in the microwave. They were a bit flat but not too bad. I deliberately added extra sucralose to make them sweeter because I was looking for more of a sweet treat. After cooling I made a pocket in them and squirted whipped cream inside. OMG! So yummy. This totally made cream puffs. I'm thinking of drizzling some coconut bark on top next time. What a fun discovery. Thanks.

pennink
Sun, Apr-20-08, 18:30
okay, so today I decided, what the heck, I'll add a wee bit of baking powder to the yolk mixture (12 buns, one teaspoon, negligible) well....

they came out GREAT! not so airy and very very bready!!!! I'm sooooo excited!

dianneone
Mon, Apr-21-08, 19:18
my first batch is baking, I can tell 4 are gonna be perfect, the late two ok but didn't fold whites equally, its ok , today I'll eat them no matter what they look like HA

livesimply
Mon, Apr-21-08, 19:42
okay, so today I decided, what the heck, I'll add a wee bit of baking powder to the yolk mixture (12 buns, one teaspoon, negligible) well....

Thanks for posting this--I'm trying again tomorrow and definitely adding the baking powder. :wave:

cleochatra
Mon, Apr-21-08, 22:14
As an addendum to Penn's use of baking powder, I have used thickenthin/not starch and have had good results with that (xanthan gum, etc) as well.

It's fun to experiment with them!

bike2work
Tue, Apr-22-08, 07:30

I want to try this. Was that a teaspoon for 6 eggs and 6 oz. cream cheese or did you mean that you made the standard recipe and divided it into 12 rolls?

pennink
Tue, Apr-22-08, 07:48
Yep. A teaspoon per 6 eggs.

i'm making chocolate ones today!

livesimply
Tue, Apr-22-08, 08:20
Yep. A teaspoon per 6 eggs.

i'm making chocolate ones today!
PLEASE post the outcome--I love your tweaking!!!!

pennink
Tue, Apr-22-08, 08:22
oh, I've made them before! they're great

I used Cleo's recipe, but subbed cream cheese for mascarpone cheese (cream would work though), and 4 tablespoons of cocoa to 6 eggs, little extra sweetener, then i put slivered almonds on top before baking.

YUM!

livesimply
Tue, Apr-22-08, 08:28
thanks! I've made a cut and paste project of all the tweaks into a word document so I can refer to it as I experiment.

Do I remember correctly that I've seen posts by you that you substitute whey protein powder in recipes, or is that someone else? I see lots of recipes calling for whey protein isolate and resistant starch and stuff like that, but I'd be happy to simply use my whey protein powder I have and nut flours. I'm not a chemist. :lol: I do think I'll order some ThickenThin/not Sugar to use with the liquid sucralose I got. The sucralose has me stumped because I don't know how to make up the difference in bulk for sugar when using DROPS of sweetener--guess I'll research more. Thanks for your suggestions! :wave:

pennink
Tue, Apr-22-08, 08:32
I don't use any powders or anything. I can't get them and can't be bothered. (I cringe at things with ingredients I can't pronounce)

I have used almond flour though (that I made myself from blanched almonds in the processor).

I hope Cleo comes by to help you out, she's the queen of tweak.

cleochatra
Tue, Apr-22-08, 17:13
The queen of WHAT?!

Oh.

She said Tweak.

I thought I was going to have to snap her bra.

[/inner dialogue gone outie]

xosteph
Sun, Apr-27-08, 19:13
My Oopsie Rolls came out foamy/super soft
I baked them for 30 minutes anddd they were super super soft almost gooey in the middle like they weren't cooked all the way
Help please

Wings2Fly
Sun, Apr-27-08, 20:34
I can't believe I have been low carbing for 4 years and just now discovered Oopsie rolls. Thay have completely changed what I eat-- I can now eat sandwiches!!! I just made my second batch and had to post how delighted I am!! Thank you Cleo!!

The first batch was rather flat, probably because I didn't whip the egg whites stiff enough because I did it by hand. This time I used my electric mixer and they were perfect. Instead of making mounds though, I spread the mixture over a large cookie sheet, then cut them into squares that resemble bread slices.

BTW, I made this batch with 1/2 regular cream cheese and 1/2 cream cheese flavored with onions green. It gives the oopsies a hint of flavor! I love them-- just ate 2 cheeseburgers with them.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk268/MizzCarrieCole/thanks.gif
Sherry

Calianna
Tue, Apr-29-08, 10:52
My Oopsie Rolls came out foamy/super soft
I baked them for 30 minutes anddd they were super super soft almost gooey in the middle like they weren't cooked all the way
Help please

Which recipe did you use?

The oopsie recipe calls for 3 oz (not Tbsp!) cream cheese to 3 eggs, and no oil added. The oopsie crepe recipe calls for added oil - we're getting so many recipe variations for oopsies that it can be difficult to keep straight what the original recipe calls for! :daze: I"m not sure what else in the recipe itself might have caused the gooiness problem. They're supposed to be soft and spongey though, just done all the way through, sort of like an angel food or sponge cake would be spongey, but decidely cooked all the way through.

You might want to check the accuracy of your oven temperature, just to be sure you're not cooking them at too low of a temperature. From what I understand, ovens can vary by as much as 75 degrees from the stated temperature, so investing in an oven thermometer just to be sure it's the right temperature is a wise little investment in cases like this.

I find that mine cook better if I bake them at a slightly higher temperature (somewhere between the 300 F and 325 F marks on the dial), and bake them on parchment paper, instead of directly on the baking sheet. I also have those insulated baking sheets, which makes them cook slower on the bottom, so these may just be the adjustments I need to make in order to get it to work out right with the insulated pans in an oven that's not as far "off" as my old oven was. (That was why I bought the insulated pans to begin with - my old oven burned everything on the bottom!)

xosteph
Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:55
Thanks!
Yeah i didn't make my eggs whites as stiff as they should have been
and I didn't cook them long enuff
they were still edible though! lol

cleochatra
Tue, Apr-29-08, 11:59
There are so many changes that can be made, it is tricky! The oil in the crepes is for the pan, not the crepes.

Wings2Fly
Fri, May-02-08, 21:03
Just made another batch-- added cream cheese with green onion and also added garlic powder. Yummy!
S

anadyne
Sun, May-04-08, 07:21
I just made a batch with 1.5 oz cream cheese and ~1 oz mayo, as well as a teaspoon of coconut oil (to make up for missing mayo).

First impression: they cooked flatter and a bit darker, which worried me.

Second: ...but they were edible right away! No waiting for the to dry out. Crispier around the edges and they tasted like brioche! Wow, yum!

Not really suitable for use as buns or anything, but as a slightly sweet breakfast bread they kick butt. Yum!

pennink
Sun, May-04-08, 07:24
mine are always ready to eat right away... hmmmm

I love my chocolate almond oopsies with a slather of mascarpone cheese and a sliced strawberry!!! Breakfast to go!

Baerdric
Sun, May-04-08, 08:31
mine are always ready to eat right away... hmmmm

I love my chocolate almond oopsies with a slather of mascarpone cheese and a sliced strawberry!!! Breakfast to go!I was just getting ready to try to make some chocolate oopsie cookies, I'll have to try to find your post on these.

pennink
Sun, May-04-08, 08:41
man, server keeps bumping me after my post. One more time.

I don't think I posted the recipe, so here goes.

Regular oopsie recipe (with your choice, ricotta, cream cheese, mascarpone, whatever you want), tablespoon of splenda (to the 6 egg recipe), 3 to 6 tablespoons of cocoa powder (I use 6)
beat all together (beating works the best) then put whites into it.
When you put in the pan to bake (i use a muffin top tin), sprinkle about a teaspoon of slivered almonds on each and bake until almonds are browned.

for breakie goodness:
slather on with mascarpone (or whipped cream) and a sliced strawberry. (Great for to-go breakfast!)

livesimply
Sun, May-04-08, 08:51
thanks for posting the recipe--these sound great! will try a couple versions this week.

Baerdric
Sun, May-04-08, 09:28
I don't think I posted the recipe, so here goes.
Oh good, that's about what I made, and I am setting up for some "Lemon cookies" too. Basically just adding a little more vanella, splenda drops, then cocoa powder (or lemon extract).

This first batch I am baking as usual (30 at 300), if that doesn't work well (probably burnt edges) I will try lower and longer.

Baerdric
Sun, May-04-08, 12:31
My chocolate ones didn't have enough chocolate or splenda, but they are nice with a little whipped cream between a couple...

My lemon ones turned out GREAT! I made them in muffin tins and they even look like cookies - kinda. They are dangerously good, it's just fortunate that they are very low carb.

The only thing is that they don't have much of a cookie texture, more like a cracker. Anyone know how to give them more crunchy chewy goodness?

pennink
Sun, May-04-08, 12:34
oh mine aren't crunchy.. still oopsie texture.

I've cooked them longer and they get a bit crisper.

What if you cut down on the fat ingredient?

cleochatra
Sat, May-10-08, 12:49
I just want to add that I have been removing the mention of Splenda from the oopsie rolls as an ingredient.

Oopsies not only don't require Splenda, but they are healthier minus the chemicals.

So, if you make the recipe, and are not averse to a suggestion: nix the Splenda and go for more savory herbs. I use dry mustard and dill in mine.

cleochatra
Sat, May-10-08, 21:03
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/cleochatra/Bento%20and%20Cooking/IMG_2572-1-1.jpg <---Red Robin Bacon Guacamole cheeseburger, fully loaded on an oopsie roll! They brought me fries even though I asked for a side of steamed veg. I tossed the fries.

The oopsie rolls were hefty and held that burger beautifully. It was an awesome burger!

Baerdric
Sat, May-10-08, 21:33
Well...? How did this come to be?

HAdriven
Sun, May-11-08, 01:40
I'm definitely going to try these, but I'm curious...

When done properly, what do they taste like???

Baerdric
Sun, May-11-08, 06:38
When done properly, what do they taste like???Well, who knows if I have ever done them correctly, but without flavorings, mine taste mild, somewhere between pancakes and scrambled eggs, with no aftertaste, only a very slight bready texture and more like a stiff souffle. They have a tendency to break rather than bend, but not so badly that you can't use the thin ones for hot dogs or taco-like sandwiches. The outer layer sticks to your fingers when they are fresh, but less so as they air dry.

With flavoring (I have tried from spicy to fruity to chocolatey) they range from garlic bread to cookies or crackers, although they miss some of the chewyness of the first and the crunchyness of the second. They take up other flavors well and don't over-ride even light foods.

Over all they are an excellent thing and I suggest that those of us with contacts and experience in marketing conspire together to make Cleochatra rich and famous beyond her wildest dreams, while embezzling enough to send our grandkids to college.

rightnow
Sun, May-11-08, 08:04
I got 'rye flavoring' from a baking supply co. and caraway seed and so far nearly everything I add it to (such as the 'almond thins' recipe) becomes instantly edible, at least, for people like me who love Rye bread. I'm hoping to try that in the oopsies.

Nancy LC
Sun, May-11-08, 10:03
Oooh, I love the taste of rye. Is there actually rye in the rye flavoring? Unfortunately rye has gluten so I can't eat it. :(

rightnow
Sun, May-11-08, 14:19
No idea. It might. I eat trace-gluten without too much concern although I know I shouldn't. (My boyfriend is celiac and can't eat any, but I just get asthma/allergies. Well probably all sorts of horrible things go on inside I can't see, and I need to quit that...) I'll dig it up and post the ingredients. There is probably something gluten-ish in there somewhere I'll bet.

But I find caraway seed gives the 'rye bread' impression even without any rye flavor involved--worth it. I made the almond things with caraway seed, and a tiny bit of poppy seed and sesame seed, they were great. (Occurs to me that's how I should use flax seeds: 'on' things like sesame seeds...)

cleochatra
Sun, May-11-08, 15:48
Rye flavoring is partially molasses I believe.

gem52372
Mon, May-12-08, 20:03
Ok I made my first oopsie rolls tonight and THANK YOU GOD!!!! They are amazing...a little thin but they are heaven!! Any ideas on how i can make them thicker maybe?

Baerdric
Mon, May-12-08, 20:06
Extra beating of the whites, gentler folding in of the yolks.

gem52372
Mon, May-12-08, 20:10
Well that was quick...hehe Yeah i have been reading and I see know what I can do different and all the variations I can make. I am telling you I am in heaven with these things now....planning a big ole fat cheeseburger tomorrow night.......ON A OOPSIE ROLL!!!!!!! LOL

cleochatra
Mon, May-12-08, 21:16
I use Mini Wilton cake pans for 4.25" diameter rolls. They're a good size, and they come out uniform this way, even when the batter is a little runny.

locarbbarb
Tue, May-13-08, 13:12
Hi!

I don't know if anyone ever mentioned this, but I was watching Alton Brown on FoodTV and he said when you beat egg whites they should be at room temp.

I found this online at baking911.com (http://www.baking911.com/howto/egg_roomtemp.htm)

To get the highest beaten egg whites, whip room temperature egg whites, not cold ones; it's because the egg's protein is more elastic and will create more tiny air bubbles. Also, the colder their temperature, the longer the beating time will be. If it is humid or raining outside, sometimes you won't get the proper volume no matter what you do.

Thought this might help with the consistency of the batter.

Barb

dianneone
Tue, May-13-08, 20:28
they are great , any size and thickness! I do beleive Baerdric in , get those egg whites stiff and fold gently and you got it!!

mer23
Fri, May-16-08, 14:29
MMM yum slurp munch..... :yum:
Finally got round to making some oopsies.

Er....how do I stop eating them?

:lol:

cindielyn
Mon, May-19-08, 07:07
Yesterday a friend was asking me what am I going to do when I reach my goal. I told him just eat a few more veggies. Then I was thinking, well it is about time I start to try some of the recipes I keep hearing about, so my first batch of oopsies are in the oven. Actually, I don't know why I was afraid to make them before, doesn't seem like they should do anything to slow me down.

cindielyn
Mon, May-19-08, 07:39
Oh what on earth was I waiting for??? These are wonderful! I can't believe each one is really just 1/2 of an egg and 1/2 ounce of cream cheese. A few of these with a nice cup of tea would feel like a wonderful and filling brunch, and totally legal. I just had 2, I am taking the rest to work for lunch today with my blueberry white ice tea. mmmmmmmmmm.

Baerdric
Mon, May-19-08, 08:08
We just had Oopsie Blueberry pancakes. OMG....

cleochatra
Mon, May-19-08, 08:23
Woohoo! I lurve pancakes.

Did you use the crepes recipe with the protein powder? Or did you use regular oopsie batter with blueberries?

And, better yet--pictures? I am drooling!

Baerdric
Mon, May-19-08, 08:26
Just Oopise batter with a little extra vanilla and blueberries.

Last night I had Oopsie tempura shrimp, then oopsies with egg salad for 4th meal, then oopsie pancakes and over easy eggs for breakfast.

I feel like I am depopulating the entire chicken species.

dianneone
Tue, May-20-08, 20:15
I just made the peanut butter cookies OMG!!!!!!!!! Delisous!!!!!!!!

dianneone
Tue, May-20-08, 20:17
don't know how to show my progress but I'm at about 143 and I'm thrilled!!!!!!!!!!

rightnow
Tue, May-20-08, 21:19
Where did peanut butter cookies come into this?? Did I miss something? Peanut butter oopsies?!

I just bought 2.5 dozen eggs, specifically for Oopsie-related experiments. Will report back with pics. (My camera sucks though!)

dianneone
Wed, May-21-08, 19:17
sorry, I was looking for recipts and found it on this site, 1 cup unsweetened peanut butter, 1/2 cup splenda ,1 egg, bake 350 for 9- 11 minutes, they are sooooo good

imlosingit
Mon, May-26-08, 16:27
Cleo, Do you use the 6 X 2 inch round Wilton pans? That's the smallest they had where I looked.

revcharlie
Tue, May-27-08, 17:25
Finally!!! found my mixer. It travels back and forth to church often because I use it when I cook for the kids program. I have been searcing for it for days and just noticed a bag sitting by just inside the door of my home office. And what was inside? -assorted things which travel back and forth and a mixer. Off to finally try oopsies. I want to try them first and then play around with shape. It is sub night at the kids program on Thurs and I try to have a meal that looks relatively the same as what I am making for the kids.

pennink
Tue, May-27-08, 17:33
My dd just told me that my chocolate almond oopsies are better than anything off plan!!!

(I add Sugar twin and cocoa powder -- about 3 tablespoons--to basic oopsie yolk mixture. then top with slivered almonds. I serve by spreading cream cheese or mascarpone and a sliced strawberry in between)

yum

revcharlie
Tue, May-27-08, 19:38
Okay, they hold a sandwich but I'm not in love. If I want something to hold sandwich filling these are the thing, but if i want something to spread cream cheese on, I will stick with the occasional serving of flax bread. On automatic pilot in the kitchen, I set the oven at 350 (always double checked by an oven thermometer because it isn't accurate) and stuck the rolls in the oven. Checked at 10 min and thought they looked kind of dark. Checked the recipe and turned the oven down 50degrees. At 30 minutes they were perfect.

ccambronau
Sat, Jun-21-08, 09:17
:confused: My rolls were flat as a fritter. What did I do wrong? Egg whites not stiff enough?

Calianna
Sat, Jun-21-08, 09:42
:confused: My rolls were flat as a fritter. What did I do wrong? Egg whites not stiff enough?

Could be. They need to be stiff enough to form peaks that the tips don't fall over. Also, you should be able to turn the mixing bowl completely upside down without them even moving.

Also, if you over-mix when adding the yolk-cream cheese mixture, you'll break down the whites, resulting in very flat oopsies.

Even if you have a nice thick stiff batter when you're done mixing, they still won't bake up an inch thick or anything like that - they rise at first while baking, but by the time they're cooled, they'll be much thinner. If I make them directly on a baking sheet, mine end up around 1/4" -1/3" thick. If I use the mini-cake pans to bake them, they'll be a little thicker than that when cooled. This is because they can't spread as much in the mini-cake pans.

The flat ones are still good though - you can use them for wraps, tortillas, or even thin-crust mini-pizzas.

ccambronau
Sat, Jun-21-08, 10:07
I get it now. I believe my whites weren't stiff enough and I over mixed. I'll try again! Thanks for your help!

cleochatra
Sun, Jun-22-08, 08:24
rev-- the rolls are really a vehicle for food, like sandwiches. On their own, many love them, but a lot of folks really use them for other applications, whether donuts, cake batter, waffles or cannolis.

Sorry for being away from this thread! I've been swamped.

anonfemme
Fri, Jul-04-08, 00:17
I've been reading about these oopsie rolls for about a week now. I really need/want to try them...I'm already a fan of the zucchini crust.

I sat here tonight reading this thread after I stumbled upon this site earlier this evening, and in listening to the discussion regarding the amount of time needed for baking, I had a thought (actually I thought it was a stroke of genius, hahahaa). I remember as a kid reading baking instructions for a cake mix (let's not even go there...), and it seems to me that there are different times/temps (?) required for high altitude baking. Don't you suppose the same thing applies here?? I'd imagine that baking oopsies might be different in Denver than say here, on the Oregon coast (elevation approx 15' above sea level during the dry month). Anyway, just a thought...

be kind, it's my first post...8-)

cleochatra
Fri, Jul-04-08, 10:12
I anonfemme! It is so nice to meet you! I am told that regardless of city, the baking time remains the same: 30 minutes at 300 degrees. Of course, I'm going on what other folks are telling me.

pennink
Fri, Jul-04-08, 10:37
i have an ancient oven (seriously, I cleaned it and found Easyoffasaurus bones) 1967.

Each time I cook the suckers, it's different. I think you just learn to 'know'. Sometimes it's 30 minutes, sometimes it's 40! It all depends on how high i pile it ( :lol: no comments puhlease).

But don't be afraid to just try and find out what your oven/oopsie relationship is.

dianneone
Fri, Jul-04-08, 21:24
congrads on your progress!!!!! I have had good luck with these rolls, did with blueberrys they were great!, must get those whites stiff........

salubrious
Sat, Jul-05-08, 18:37
Just put my very first batch of oopsie's in the oven, wish me luck!

I had no problems with the eggs, peaks, mixing etc, so now it is all in the oven, can;t wait to see how these turn out!

salubrious
Sat, Jul-05-08, 18:38
has anyone ever made them into like a mock strawberry shortcake/ thats the plan with mine this time...who knows

salubrious
Sat, Jul-05-08, 19:08
muy delicioso

Danieloser
Wed, Jul-16-08, 18:51
I just made these and I LOVE THEM!!

Took a picture too!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/1/1/5/8/5/3/Oopsie.jpg

cleochatra
Wed, Jul-16-08, 20:58
Those look beautiful!

Danieloser
Wed, Jul-16-08, 23:01
I followed your lead and went to Wendy's and got a Baconator. Got a picture of that too. Thanks for the recipe! You've made me a very happy LC'er. :)

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/1/1/5/8/5/3/bacon.jpg

ardentluma
Fri, Jul-18-08, 06:16
I made Oopsie rolls last night. Mine came out burnt and flat because they had turned liquidiy in the oven. I wonder what I did wrong. How stiff should the egg whites be? Maybe I didn't whip them enough? They were nice and foamy...but I've never whipped egg whites before so maybe I didn't do it enough? Thoughts?

penelope
Fri, Jul-18-08, 07:21
You turn the bowl upside down and if the whites stay in, they are stiff enough.

ardentluma
Fri, Jul-18-08, 07:32
Oooooh. Okay thanks! Then my whites were not stiff enough!

sweet1evie
Fri, Jul-18-08, 07:48
Penn-- I'd love to hear what you think of that one versus the cauliflower crust!

I tried the cauliflower crust and hated it. It was mushy and eggy tasing. I look forward to trying the oopsie rolls and oopsie french toast!

sweet1evie
Fri, Jul-18-08, 08:23
I just made mine like this only I added dill and garlic powder too for my hamburgers. I also had a half cup of cream cheese in the fridge that I had used the night before for poppers and added it. It had a little sauteed onion and bacon crumbed in it.

Ok these are done and taste great! They are light and cheesy tasting to me. I may play more with flavor but I can't wait to get a burger with some relish in between these!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/lin317/lowcarblunch.jpg

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg274/lin317/oopsies.jpg

I noticed that my first batch of Oopsies tasted kind of eggy. I could taste the Splenda, too, which I disliked, although that would be fine if you intended to make waffles or french toast out of them. The second batch I made was like this, and they're much better, IMO:

3 egg yolks
3 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/4 tsp onion powder
Dash of salt
2 T flax meal

3 egg whites (room temperature)
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
1/4 tsp xanthan gum

Beat egg yolk mixture until creamy. Beat egg white mixture until very stiff. Gently fold egg yolk mixture into egg white mixture.

Bake at 325 F for 5 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 F and bake for another 25 minutes.

When I make them again, I will use more onion powder, or maybe a combination of onion powder and garlic powder. They are also "breadier," I think. They're great as burger buns!

ardentluma
Fri, Jul-18-08, 08:27
Is that 2 T of flax tablespoons or teaspoons?

sweet1evie
Fri, Jul-18-08, 08:30
I just made the peanut butter cookies OMG!!!!!!!!! Delisous!!!!!!!!
Edit never mind I found the recipe she is talking about. Not oopsies.

OMG I'm shaing in my boots! You mean there is a peanut butter cookie oopsie recipe in this thread? Oh Lord I have been craving peanut butter!

sweet1evie
Fri, Jul-18-08, 08:38
Thanks for sharing this Penn! I plan to try that.

My dd just told me that my chocolate almond oopsies are better than anything off plan!!!

(I add Sugar twin and cocoa powder -- about 3 tablespoons--to basic oopsie yolk mixture. then top with slivered almonds. I serve by spreading cream cheese or mascarpone and a sliced strawberry in between)

yum

sweet1evie
Fri, Jul-18-08, 09:05
Is that 2 T of flax tablespoons or teaspoons?
I think it is Teaspoons. That is what I used.

marycuth
Fri, Jul-18-08, 20:01
Cleo is a GENIUS!!!!! I just made these tonight and am so excited to add something new to my menu! I used one as a hotdog bun and for dessert I heated one with a pat of butter and 1 tsp. of SF caramel syrup - YUMMY!:yum: I thought I had died and gone to heaven - I guess if that were the case I would meet Cleo at the pearly gates! :angel: :lol:

THANK YOU CLEO, THANK YOU!! :heart:

cakebaker
Sat, Jul-19-08, 09:41
I made these yesterday for the first time. They turned out perfect! My DH was so excited and I was too because I was able to bake some bread for the first time since I started this new WOE. (I have a home bakery). My 6y/o loved them with jelly.

ethang
Mon, Jul-21-08, 12:44
These are quite good. I've never made the original revolution rolls but I tried this recipe - with a couple of tweaks - this weekend.

I omitted the splenda and instead I used 1/2 tsp garlic powder, a little "no-salt", 3 tbsp dehydred onion, some parmesan cheese and some shredded mozzrella.

Definitely increased that carb count slightly but not too dramatically. Also, by using the no-salt I was able to offset the added sodium from the cheeses.

Turned out quite nicely. I made it using a muffin top pan for the first batch and a cookie sheet for the second. I found that the cookie sheet batch came out much more bread (well, spongecake) like which was just perfect.

Thanks cleo!

jannaxoxo
Mon, Jul-21-08, 16:37
Hi Everyone.. New poster here ;) (well, new to Atkins and everything). I"m just wondering, can you have these oopsie's on induction?

And how would they be if you added a bit of Almond Flour to them?

Lastly, the question earlier about the teaspoon, tablespoon thing for the flax seed.... I was always under the impression that a capital "T" meant tablespoon, and the lowercase "t" meant teaspoon?

ethang
Mon, Jul-21-08, 16:42
I don't think you can have almond flour on atkins induction.... not sure though as I'm not on Atkins...

1doxiemom
Tue, Jul-22-08, 23:58
Wow! WHAT A THREAD! It took me all evening to read and I feel that there's "everything you need to know about oopsies but were afraid to ask!" knowledge here! I'll be trying these....for sure! THANK YOU Cleo for the original post and everyone else for your ideas for innovation and being creative! I'm just NOT creative and your ideas all added to making my low carb WOE much more pleasurable! :cheer:

cakebaker
Thu, Jul-24-08, 12:47
I think janna is correct:
T=tablespoon
t=teaspoon

Cerephinna
Thu, Jul-31-08, 14:26
I made these tonight. They were so good! I had the most amazing LC cheeseburger I've ever had :)

cleochatra
Thu, Jul-31-08, 17:42
Yeah. A large T = Tablespoon

I am so glad, Cerephina!

kekeland
Fri, Aug-15-08, 01:07
what exactly is a pinch of cream of tartar?
1 tbsp?

Rosebud
Fri, Aug-15-08, 03:56
what exactly is a pinch of cream of tartar?
1 tbsp?
Nowhere near a tablespoon. ;) A "pinch" is the amount you can literally pinch between your thumb and forefinger.

rainopal
Thu, Aug-21-08, 17:02
I missed where you can get the OOPSie receipe. Can someone tell me?

Scott

cleochatra
Fri, Aug-22-08, 11:05
a pinch ends up being about 1/8 tsp

Is the recipe on this site? It might be my blog. I can't remember anymore...

I havetwo links. One for the recipe (http://www.examiner.com/x-355-Low-Carb-Examiner~y2008m5d21-Want-Supple-GlutenFree-Buns) and one for tips (http://www.examiner.com/x-355-Low-Carb-Examiner~y2008m5d22-Bow-to-the-Buns-Tips-for-TroubleFree-Oopsie-Rolls)

soule72
Tue, Sep-02-08, 22:45
In the recipe it says cook at 300 for 30 minutes but mine seemed to be done after about 15-18 minutes. Did this happen to anyone else?

Rosebud
Tue, Sep-02-08, 23:44
I missed where you can get the OOPSie receipe. Can someone tell me?

Scott
Go to the first post of this thread. ;)

cleochatra
Wed, Sep-03-08, 16:06
Ooh. That's pretty quick,. You might have a hot oven if it is cooking that quickly!

soule72
Wed, Sep-03-08, 17:54
I guess I live in New Mexico in a high altitude and it is dry here. I notice when I make cookies for my kids i cook them less time as well.

cleochatra
Wed, Sep-03-08, 18:31
I live in Colorado. If you need less time, then you're in baked good happiness much earlier!

Rock ohn!

soule72
Wed, Sep-03-08, 22:41
ok hmm. I guess its just my oven. I have only made them once so I will try again and see if it is still such a short time. I am not complaining Its great taking less time. I get to eat them sooner. I just put butter and some splenda sprinkled on them and they are so good. Tonight I ate a sandwich with them. It was also great. I think I will try the spices with no splenda next.
:yum:

lizzyLC
Sun, Sep-07-08, 08:54
I finally got around to trying these. Why did it take so long?

They are excellent !! So easy to make !!

I used 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder instead of
a sweetner. :yum:

I'll be making these alot - doubling up on the recipe.
My DH loves them too.

Thanks Cleo and everyone else as well.

:wave:

missymagoo
Sun, Sep-07-08, 20:46
okay . on all that have posted her and tried the oopsie roll- how did they turn out and did you like them? sue

soule72
Mon, Sep-08-08, 07:31
I love them. But i have been eating them everyday and think I will take a break as they are getting old. not a long break a few days to a week break. Its nice to have a sandwich.

Mama Lu
Mon, Sep-08-08, 08:13
how did they turn out and did you like them I think that if you read the previous 15 pages of posts you will find that

most people love them, though some find them too "eggy" (not a problem if you use them as a holder for sandwich fillings, burgers, or breakfast sandwiches)
they turn out great if
- you know your way around a kitchen
- you have the right equipment (e.g., an electric mixer for beating the egg whites)
- you don't overcook them
- you don't undercook them
- you put them in a plastic bag after baking so they soften up and stay soft
they do have a tendency to stick, so well-greased non-stick pans are a must
some people use molds such as muffin tins (but see note above about sticking) or parchment paper and silicon egg rings (I also use English muffin rings)

PilotGal
Wed, Nov-19-08, 07:39
The flat ones are still awesome for oopsie pizzas, french toast, wraps, you name it!why hadn't i thought of this? :spin:

dianneone
Thu, Nov-20-08, 18:58
I liked them w/blueberrys and sugar free syrup like pancakes, also w/splenda and cinnamon, like elephant ears!! they are great!!!!!!

2bthinner!
Sat, Dec-13-08, 11:59
Okay, I finally did it! I would like to say mine only had to cook for about 15 minutes too. I dropped the temp to 300 at about 10 minutes. I was using a metal pan, which is probably why.

A spongebob pan! :lol: Rather appropriate! :lol:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/1/7/2/1/0/OOPsies001resized.jpg

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/1/7/2/1/0/OOPsiesEggsausageoopsiemuffin.jpg

Cleochatra.. delicious. A rather unexpected popping styrofoam noise, but really, really good.

My dog thought so too!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/1/7/2/1/0/OOPsiesJoswantsmore.jpg

2bthinner!
Sat, Dec-13-08, 15:41
I should have taken a picture for you guys, but I made a strawberry shortcake kind of thing.

I just put whipped cream on an oopsie roll
I nuked 7 frozen strawberries and sprinkled about a third of a stevia packet on them. Mashed them with a fork. Put on the whipped cream on the roll and topped with more cream. Very, very good. The next batch I may add some extract (vanilla, lemon) for ones to use for strawberry shortcake. I don't think it would really be necessary. It was excellent with the basic recipe.

2bthinner!
Thu, Dec-25-08, 20:36
I did this for Christmas for my bil as Strawberry short cake. He said he liked it. I didn't get a picture, but I'm making another tomorrow for my mom and sister. I didn't make two to begin with because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. I will take a picture and post it.

And, when cooked all in a bunch in a cake pan (well, I did it in two heart shaped pans. They were the only cake pans I had.) it did take about 30 minutes. I may have taken them out at 26 or 27 minutes.

I'm not sure if I should post this as an individual recipe, thoughts? Like in the sweet treats.
ETA: I'll get a picture first, and post in sweet treats..
~*~*~*~*~*~
Faux Sponge Cake, (adapted from Cleochatra's Oopsie Rolls)

3 large eggs, separate
6 pks of Stevia
tsp cream of tartar
3 ounces of cream cheese (not Tbls, do not soften)
1 tsp vanilla extract (or lemon)

Preheat oven to 300F

Separate the eggs; add three packets of Stevia, vanilla extract and cream of tartar to egg whites. Whip until stiff (meringue)
In separate bowl, add remaining sweetener to yolks with the cream cheese, mix.
Gently add yolk mixture to meringue, being careful not to break down meringue.

Spray cake pans. Spoon the mixture in. Bake about 30 minutes. (Check them til you know how they work in your oven) Let cool a few minutes, then remove from pan.

Makes about 6 servings
88 calories a piece, 1.7 carb per piece.

2bthinner!
Sat, Dec-27-08, 18:01
Picture of Strawberry faux cake

http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/files/1/7/2/1/0/Strawberryfauxcakeresize.jpg

ILoveMyKit
Sat, Dec-27-08, 21:16
i got a muffin top pan for christmas... soo excited to try to make oopsies now!

armyw1fe
Tue, Jan-06-09, 19:06
why did mine go flat?

Elizellen
Sun, Jan-18-09, 07:15
Were your egg-whites really stiff - so if turned upside-down it didn't move?

If that wasn't the problem then maybe make them in a muffin top tin to stop them spreading as much? They usually do flatten a bit once cold I found.

cleochatra
Sat, Jan-24-09, 15:42
I use mini Wilton cake pans. It's like the muffin tins, but it is a little bit wider.

thomaja
Tue, Feb-17-09, 11:13
I must be doing something wrong...
I followed the directions to a T (I even had stiff peaks!) and when I scooped the batter onto the sheet, it was a big white and yellow runny mess that came out as little flat sticky pancakes instead of the rolls I see in the pictures. Am I missing something (besides a good therapist?)?

soule72
Wed, Feb-18-09, 10:44
you probably stirred to much it will take out all the work you did making stiff peaks, Just fold in the yellow lightly do not mix it. It will be kinda marbled looking. if that wasn't it I have no idea.

lilozzi
Tue, Apr-07-09, 20:16
What do you think oopsie rolls would taste like with mixed spice, cinnamon and a smidge of lc apricot jam?

I'm trying to find a replacement for hot cross buns!

Elizellen
Fri, Apr-10-09, 13:48
Probably fairly close - if you are on the berries rung you could add goji berries instead of the currants usually put in hot cross buns instead of the jam.

LowCarbJen
Sat, Apr-18-09, 14:50
A year later.. and I *still* can't make oopsie rolls! I must be an idiot!!

However, my victory is I finally learned how to make egg whites STIFF!!
I got them stiff as a board,.. I had no idea my mixer went up to level 10.. I had been using level 5 as the max all these years.
So they were so stiff they didn't fall when I turned them upside down.
My problem is.. is that the yolk mixture folded into the egg whites makes the whole thing very runny. I can't get "mounds".. I get a lake.............. even with the stiffed as stiff can be egg whites. The egg whites remain stuff, but the yolk kind of goes everywhere.
Does that make sense?

I put my current batch in yorkshire pudding tins.. so we'll see.
I have yet to taste the infamous oopsie roll!

PS - 12 minutes into the rolls and they look promising in the muffin pan thing. They are starting to look like the pictures I've seen.
I AM SO EXCITED!!
But I'd still like to be able to do the "mound" thing.

LowCarbJen
Sat, Apr-18-09, 15:39
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/OnesOnTheWay/2-1.jpg

Does this look about right?? They're done!

Calianna
Sat, Apr-18-09, 15:45
Is that a regular muffin pan? or a "muffin top" pan?

Other than the fact that I can't tell if they're filling up a lot of a muffin tin or have shrunk down below the top of a muffin-top pan, they look fine.

It's normal for them to shrink as they cool.

I wrote up a trouble shooting list on another site - lemme go find it for you... BRB

LowCarbJen
Sat, Apr-18-09, 15:48
Thanks!
But darn, I am scooping them out of the tray and they are like... eggy/moist in the middle.
Is that normal?? Maybe I didn't cook long enough..
What is the inside consistency suppose to be like?

Thanks.

Calianna
Sat, Apr-18-09, 15:54
Ok, here's the checklist:

Let's go through a little checklist, to see if we can troubleshoot the problem:

- You need two bowls: A larger one for the egg whites, and a slightly smaller one for the yolk mixture.

- When separating the eggs, make sure you don't get any egg yolk mixed in with the whites, or else the whites won't whip up properly.

- Make sure your egg white bowl and beaters are scrupulously clean - any greasy/oily residue could prevent your egg whites from whipping up properly.

Start with the egg whites

- Make sure that you're not trying to whip the egg whites using beaters contaminated with yolk and cream cheese residue.

- Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites - it helps them whip up stiffer and maintain their volume better.

- Whip the egg whites on high speed until they form very stiff peaks. This will take several minutes.

- Stop the mixer and lift your beaters out of the egg whites. There should be peaks that look like this: ||| not like this: ((( And certainly not like this: ~~~

- Additional test for stiff egg whites: Turn the entire bowl of beaten egg whites upside down. If they don't move at all, they're stiff enough. Do this only after first checking for stiff peaks, otherwise, you're likely to end up with your egg whites all over the floor!

Once the egg whites are stiff, you're ready to do the yolk/cream cheese mixture:

- Mix the egg yolks and cream cheese in a different bowl from the whites.

- You don't need to wash the beaters after whipping your egg whites, just scrape off most of the excess stiff egg whites into the egg white bowl.

- Don't soften the cream cheese. It will mix into the egg yolks just fine straight out of the fridge. (You can let it sit at room temperature while you do the egg whites if you want though)

- Just mix away until there's no obvious chunks of cream cheese left.

- The cream cheese does NOT need to be blended into the yolks perfectly smoothly. It's OK to still have some little bits of unmixed cream cheese in the yolk mixture.

Folding the yolk mixture into the stiff egg whites:

- NEVER use a mixer or blender of any kind to fold in the yolk mixture (Not even if it has a setting that says "fold" - that's still too fast, and will still break down the egg whites, giving you a pan full of "flopsies", instead of oopsies.)

- Don't try to fold in all the yolk mixture at once.

- Pour about half the yolk mixture over the egg whites.

- Fold the yolk mixture in by hand, using a long thin spatula/spoonula or a long thin teaspoon

- Cleo recommends folding the yolk mixture in by gently moving your long handled spoon back and forth across the bowl of egg whites in a sine wave (S pattern).

- Turn the bowl 90 degrees (1/4 turn) and make another sine wave (S pattern) back and forth across the bowl.

- Repeat this process with the 2nd half of the egg whites.

Problems with this step and what to do:

- If yolk mixture just drops to the bottom of the bowl without mixing in, I find that I can usually drag it back up to the top with my spatula, by scraping directly down the side and up in the middle of the bowl.

- Don't obsess with getting every bit of the yolk mixture evenly mixed into the stiff egg whites though, because every stroke with your spatula/spoon will cause the egg whites to lose a little more volume - there are ways to compensate

- It's ok for the finished mixture to be streaky after folding - stiff whites with yellow streaks of yolk mixture through it is just fine.

Into the Oven

- Spray your pan thoroughly so that the oopsies don't stick to it.

- OR you can cover your baking pan with a sheet of parchment paper.

- OR you can use a sprayed muffin top pan.

- OR place sprayed mini wilton cake pans on a jelly roll pan.

- Start by scooping a spoonful into 6 piles on the baking pan (parchment/muffin top/mini cake pans)

- Pile more oopsie batter on top of those piles

- If you find that you have unmixed yolk mixture at the bottom of the bowl, make a "well" in the piles of oopsie batter (just like making a well in mashed potatoes to hold gravy), and scoop the runny yolk mixture into them, so that it doesn't run all over.

- Bake at 300 F for 30 minutes.

What to expect:

- The oopsies will puff up as they're baking, before flattening out somewhat.

- These are not 1-1/2" high white flour hamburger buns! Mine always settle down to less than 1/2" high.

- It will take two oopsies to make a sandwich - one on the top and one on the bottom, because they're not thick enough to slice.

- If your oopsies are crumbly, check the recipe.
->The original Atkins Rev Roll only used 1 Tbsp of cream cheese per egg, resulting in a roll that was hard and crumbly when first baked (like a meringue), but when stored in an air tight container overnight, would soften.
->Cleo's Oopsies use 1 oz (2 Tbsp) cream cheese per egg. All that extra cream cheese means they're soft and pliable as soon as they come out of the oven.

- If you've checked the recipe and they're still crumbly when they come out of the oven, or if they don't appear to be done after 1/2 hour, your oven temperature may not be accurate.

- If you live in a dry climate, your oopsies will probably dry out enough to store them in a plastic bag within a few hours.

- If you live in a humid climate, they may become more moist the longer they sit out. What I do in this humid area is to bake them at a slightly higher temperature (just under 325F) to dry them out a bit more in the baking process. Then as soon as they're cooled, and are no longer moist feeling on the bottom, bag them and refrigerate.

Calianna
Sat, Apr-18-09, 16:04
Thanks!
But darn, I am scooping them out of the tray and they are like... eggy/moist in the middle.
Is that normal?? Maybe I didn't cook long enough..
What is the inside consistency suppose to be like?

Thanks.

If you were using a regular muffin pan, they probably didn't cook long enough. The more solid thickness of batter in a taller shap like that, the longer they'll take to cook.

If it's a muffin-top pan, then it's possible that you just need to cook them a bit longer.

One time I made oopsie donuts in mini-bundt pans, and those really needed more time - but there was all that oopsie batter piled way up high in those pans all around the middle piece, in my attempt to preserve that hole in the middle, so they'd really look like donuts - it was just piled up too thick to cook all the way through. That's not usually a problem on regular baking pan, because the batter tends to spread a bit as it bakes.

ETA: It's not unusual for them to be soft in the middle when they're fully baked, but it shouldn't look like raw/runny egg. They should be solid, but the oopsie itself will be soft-ish when coming out of the oven (as opposed to the original Atkins Revolution Rolls, which were more like crispy hard meringues whey they came out of the oven.)

LowCarbJen
Mon, Apr-20-09, 12:51
A HAH!!! I know what I've been doing wrong!!
What I thought was "separating eggs" apparently wasn't good enough. I didn't realise what a yolk looked like completely separated.. so I was getting a lot of the whites in with the yolk.. that's what made the whole thing runny!

So.. finally....... I separated them as best as I could.. and I think I got it right this time.
I made 6 mounds on the pan and they have 15 mins left to go!!

I sprayed non-stick spray on the pan, but I have a feeling it's still going to stick... because my pans suck.

What type of cookie sheet should I buy?? Any suggestons? I don't know a whole lot about this stuff.

I am also going to buy an egg separator so I can get them REALLY separated and have an even better batch next go..

NANCI B
Mon, Apr-20-09, 14:06
What type of cookie sheet should I buy?? Any suggestons? I don't know a whole lot about this stuff.

I am also going to buy an egg separator so I can get them REALLY separated and have an even better batch next go..

You don't need to buy special pans....just get some parchment paper at the supermarket and line your pans with it. Nothing sticks to parchment. It is about as expensive as a roll of waxed paper or plastic wrap and is in the same aisle in the store. You don't need to buy an egg separtor either. I am well into my 50's and have never owned one. Just crack the egg and break into your hand and let the whites run into a bowl and then put the yolk into another bowl. Just make sure the yolk has not broken........easy.

dianneone
Tue, Sep-08-09, 21:25
Great idea!!
this site has helped me sooo much, been gone for a while, but quit smoking and now need your help again