PDA

View Full Version : This time I mean it!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kimber10
Wed, Jan-30-08, 22:48
Hi! :)

It's unfortunate that I have to meet you all for the first time feeling so low and looking even worse. I mean, first impressions do count!

I've finally had enough of myself and have decided to try the Atkins diet again. I'd tried it out in 2003 and had managed to lose 28lbs/13kg in about 3.5 weeks, which was great! My only problem was I started to feel really, really washed out and lethargic so figured maybe I was losing weight too quickly. Anyway, I'm sure you can all picture what happened next: me deciding maybe what I needed to perk me up was something carby; me the next morning after having gone on a complete carb-a-thon deciding the horse had bolted now so I'd have a few weeks off and then go back on it; me not going back on the diet! :lol:

Anyway, last year I tried it out again but only lasted for about a week and a half before I chucked it in as I'd only lost about 5lbs/2.2kg.

But I've never been this heavy before and I am so depressed at the moment about my weight that I am DETERMINED this time to stick to it!! When I'd stuck to it back in 2003 I used to read this forum for some inspiration, but this time I'm going to really use it for inspiration and also for some help if I feel like chucking it all in again in a few weeks (if it's okay with you!) I need to stick to it and I need to lose weight!

So that's it for now. I only started low carbing again yesterday so I've got an extremely long road ahead of me. I'm thinking this time around of maybe keeping a journal and taking some photos to spur me on. If I do, I'm hoping that one of these days I'll be showing you all my success story!!

Bye for now!!

Kisal
Wed, Jan-30-08, 22:58
Welcome! It's nice to meet you! I'm glad you are here with us! :wave:

LynnDee
Thu, Jan-31-08, 06:08
Hi welcome, glad you are here. When you start to feel lousy don't give up. Jump on the forum and talk it out with someone. The lousy feelings do pass and if you are talking to others that are going through the same thing it is easier to stick with it. Good Luck.

MercyD
Thu, Jan-31-08, 15:41
Hi kimber10--welcome to forum :wave:

Lots of us try out LC a few times before really commiting. This is a great place for encouragement and info. Lots of us are in it for the long haul also!

Check out the Triple Digits area....that is people trying to lose 100+ lbs. There is a great thread over there by those who have successfully lost 100+ lbs that is very uplifting!!!! :agree:

Look around and enjoy,
Mercy

Marycat16
Thu, Jan-31-08, 18:39
Stick with it. I have found that surfing on the internet is much better for my new WOL than watching TV... what goes with TV? Chips! Crackers! m&ms!

keep drinking the water, it really does help.

kimber10
Fri, Feb-01-08, 07:05
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies!

You'll be happy to know so far I'm still with it and I even went out for dinner tonight (I'm in Australia) and managed to stick with steak and salad even though everyone else was having yummy pizza and pasta type dishes and massive great slabs of chocolate cake for dessert!!!

I think I will take the advice to head over to the 100 pounds plus area and see what inspiration I can get there. With everyone here's help, I'm sure this time I can stick with it!!

XX :)

RDS
Fri, Feb-01-08, 07:19
Hi there! I just wanted to wish you luck this time around---and let you know, that you can and will do this. You've got a fabulous attitude and I'll know you'll do a great job!

Keep us informed of your progress and welcome to the boards!

kimber10
Mon, Feb-25-08, 16:16
I just came in to have a look at my profile to remind myself of when I'd joined the forum and so when I'd started my diet. I see that I'd started dieting on 29 January so it's not quite a month yet (today being 26 February). In that time I've lost 15 pounds so I guess that's pretty good. I'm really hoping that I can lose at least that amount again by the first week in April. I'm going to a wedding then in another city that my partner has been asked to be best man at. I've never met any of his friends and I really want to make a relatively good first impression :)

At this stage I'm still steering completely clear of carbs, apart from some salad occasionally and some brocolli and cauliflower. I actually find that I've become a bit carb phobic. The other night I cooked some rice to go with the family's dinner and as I was eating my dinner, I discovered a grain of rice on a bit of brocolli. I was so happy I'd caught it in time before I ate it but then thought, "Lighten up, it was only one grain!!!"

I remember reading a success story on the forum somewhere from a guy who'd lost an amazing amount (I think it was 150lbs) in six months and he seemed to be saying that for the whole six months he ate no carbs. I think I'll try and stick to that as well, if I can. Although lately I've been feeling a bit washed out, which worries me as that was what led me to blowing my diet the other time I'd tried and had been successful. I've been taking a multi-vitamin every day and had been taking a magnasium drink as well, although I've been lazy lately taking it.

Anyway, just thought I'd post a bit of an update.

scousie
Mon, Feb-25-08, 16:39
Hi Kimber

You're doing so well! And its great you have something to aim for - good luck with your target for the wedding.

I was in Oz just before christmas and was amazed by the choice of food you guys have. Hope you're being able to have loads of barbies.

Keep up the good work!

Jgregm69
Mon, Feb-25-08, 17:25
Hey Kimber, 15 lbs is awesome. Don't worry about the washedout feeling, it goes away, and you'll have more energy than before.

kimber10
Tue, Feb-26-08, 03:15
Hi Kimber

You're doing so well! And its great you have something to aim for - good luck with your target for the wedding.

I was in Oz just before christmas and was amazed by the choice of food you guys have. Hope you're being able to have loads of barbies.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Scousie!

Actually, I've been having heaps of barbies! Luckily for me this diet allows me to have a nice big barbecued steak. I've also been doing some chicken breasts on the barbie as well to refrigerate and have the next day with some melted cheese and a bit of asparagus on them ... they've saved my sanity! :)

Which parts of Australia did you visit?

kimber10
Tue, Feb-26-08, 03:17
Hey Kimber, 15 lbs is awesome. Don't worry about the washedout feeling, it goes away, and you'll have more energy than before.

I'm actually wearing a denim skirt at the moment that a few months ago was a perfect fit, but now I can pull it up over my boobs and it looks like a dress! That is the most amazingly incredible feeling!!! I hope you're right about the washed out feeling going away. Last time that was when I caved, but I've never been so determined in my life to stick to a diet. I know I can do this ... it's easy!!!

scousie
Tue, Feb-26-08, 07:00
That sounds fab! The prawns I had while I was there were the nicest I've ever tasted and perfect for the bbq. But downside was the cakes.... everywhere you turn there's a coffee house with just the most delicious cakes on display! Just lovely. But baaad!

I stayed in Adelaide for a few weeks then had a long weekend in Kangaroo Island and finished in Sydney. Had an amazing time.

~centa*of*
Tue, Feb-26-08, 07:44
Hi Kimber (from a fellow Aussie - Perth, WA).

Well done on your weight loss to date. I think it's inspirational.

One of your posts stood out for me where you said "Yummy Pizzas".. One way I got out of eating 'forbidden' foods was not to call them nice things (like yummy). I had to convince myself that I didn't like them.

I just realised the other day (while watching a Domino's ad) that I didn't like the pizza, but was liking the idea of the meatballs on top and interpreted that as craving pizza..

Anyway, you're doing a fantastic job so keep up the great work.

kimber10
Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:56
That sounds fab! The prawns I had while I was there were the nicest I've ever tasted and perfect for the bbq. But downside was the cakes.... everywhere you turn there's a coffee house with just the most delicious cakes on display! Just lovely. But baaad!

I stayed in Adelaide for a few weeks then had a long weekend in Kangaroo Island and finished in Sydney. Had an amazing time.

Ha ha .. yeah, my brother lives in Adelaide and whenever I've visited I've fallen in love with his local pie shop. According to him, Adeladians consider themselves the "foodies" of Australia. I dunno though, I'm in Melbourne and there are some pretty delicious establishments here too! I'm glad you had a good trip :)

kimber10
Tue, Feb-26-08, 16:59
Hi Kimber (from a fellow Aussie - Perth, WA).

Well done on your weight loss to date. I think it's inspirational.

One of your posts stood out for me where you said "Yummy Pizzas".. One way I got out of eating 'forbidden' foods was not to call them nice things (like yummy). I had to convince myself that I didn't like them.

I just realised the other day (while watching a Domino's ad) that I didn't like the pizza, but was liking the idea of the meatballs on top and interpreted that as craving pizza..

Anyway, you're doing a fantastic job so keep up the great work.

Hi Centa,

Thanks for your reply. You're right, the trick is to stop thinking of everything forbidden as so "yummy" and to get out of the mindset that you're "missing out" on anything! Luckily for me, the thought now of having stuff like pizza or bread or rice or pasta just doesn't turn me on in the slightest .... woo hooo!!

Hey, Perth! That's where I'm off to for this wedding the first week of April. I'm really excited cause I've never been to WA. I grew up in the NT and my partner tells me (he's from Perth) that I'll love WA because it's a lot like the NT. Time will tell! :) Once I've been to Perth, I'll be able to say I've been to every state in Australia except for Tasmania, so that'll be next on my list!

Jgregm69
Wed, Feb-27-08, 10:52
Just dropping by to say hi.

kimber10
Thu, Feb-28-08, 04:53
Just dropping by to say hi.

Hi to you Jgregm69! :)

kristirene
Sun, Mar-02-08, 09:18
I like your idea of pictures, you should definitely do it. I am going to find something that barely fits me today and take a pic! How long should I wait to take another? I think 6 weeks (because i am impatient!)
I also measured myself (not fun) weighed myself (really not fun) and will buy ketone strips later. I like all the "cheerleaders" I can get!
Best Wishes!

TiredFedUP
Sun, Mar-02-08, 16:04
Hi Kimber, you are doing really well with the weight loss. Hang in there, the lethargy will go away. Things that helped me with lethargy were extra vit C and calcium, coconut oil (asian import stores) in my coffee, exercise and lots of water.

kimber10
Mon, Mar-03-08, 14:15
Well, I don't know what I'm doing wrong here but obviously I must be doing something wrong! I haven't lost any weight now for .... ages, can't remember the last time I lost. The scale has been resolutely sitting at the same weight but yesterday morning I weighed myself and I've put on a kilo!!! I've just weighed myself again now and the scales are sitting at the same with-extra-put-back-on-kilo weight.

I've basically been on Induction since I started on the diet, living on eggs and meat. On Saturday night I ended up having two slices of a frozen pizza (cooked of course, not still frozen :lol: ) which I estimated to have been about 40 grams of carb so I figured that would still be okay. I've also been having some wine a few nights a week. I know that alcohol is not good because even though it's low carb, your body will burn the alcohol as fuel rather than fat.

But still!!! I was hoping I would have lost a lot more weight by now. Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Has anyone else ever had this happen and what do I do??? My other thought was that maybe I should start exercising now as that will hopefully help. My job is sedentary so I thought maybe the level of carbs I'm at now and the level of low activity have finally hit the perfect balance so my body is just going to maintain at this weight if I don't move more, even though I'm having no carbs.

Something else I've noticed too is that I just don't need to go "Number 2s" at all. Last week I tried some laxatives which just ended up making me feel sick and gave me stomach cramps. I almost felt as if the laxatives were trying to do their job but there was nothing there for them to do their job on ... although that can't be right! All this meat and eggs has to go somewhere, I figure.

:help: XOX

ValerieL
Mon, Mar-03-08, 14:57
Actually, the meat and egg don't have to go somewhere, they are pretty nutritionally dense foods, there isn't going to be much waste from them. I find my bowel movements reduce in volume a great deal when I'm very low carb.

You are at a crossroads here. You are trying to lose well over 100 lbs, I can guarantee you it won't come off in 2-3 lb increments every week. You will have days (and even weeks) where you bounce back up over a low weight and then it takes a while to go back down. It's just the way it happens. This will work, but it's going to be a bumpy ride. You need to be able to ride out the tough spots.

And if you are up a kilo, it's probably your pizza. The water retention from carbs will stay with you for a few days. Give it time.

I know you said you wanted to lose another 15 lbs in March, but honestly, you'll be lucky to lose 10. Weight loss just is not that fast. In particular the second month can be slow because you body is playing catchup after a phenomenal loss the first month.

It's too early to worry about your body hitting that perfect balance of food in and energy out, it may happen, but I doubt it's happening yet. Just keep eating low carb, it will start to shift.

kimber10
Mon, Mar-03-08, 23:36
Actually, the meat and egg don't have to go somewhere, they are pretty nutritionally dense foods, there isn't going to be much waste from them. I find my bowel movements reduce in volume a great deal when I'm very low carb.

You are at a crossroads here. You are trying to lose well over 100 lbs, I can guarantee you it won't come off in 2-3 lb increments every week. You will have days (and even weeks) where you bounce back up over a low weight and then it takes a while to go back down. It's just the way it happens. This will work, but it's going to be a bumpy ride. You need to be able to ride out the tough spots.

And if you are up a kilo, it's probably your pizza. The water retention from carbs will stay with you for a few days. Give it time.

I know you said you wanted to lose another 15 lbs in March, but honestly, you'll be lucky to lose 10. Weight loss just is not that fast. In particular the second month can be slow because you body is playing catchup after a phenomenal loss the first month.

It's too early to worry about your body hitting that perfect balance of food in and energy out, it may happen, but I doubt it's happening yet. Just keep eating low carb, it will start to shift.

Thanks for that, Valerie ... you've made me feel a lot calmer! :)

You know, come to think of it, the last couple of days my feet and ankles have been puffy (which I usually lose when I'm on low carb) so maybe that is still the fluid retention from the pizza. Okay, lesson learned: NO MORE PIZZA!!!

I notice from your stats that you're at your goal weight ... congratulations! I figure you must have gone through the same issues when you were losing, so I'm happy to take your advice and just keep on keeping on!

feelskinny
Tue, Mar-04-08, 00:27
We all feel low...sometimes; but it's truly about what you believe.

You will enjoy the insightfullness of the forum participatants. And we will enjoy yours!!!

It's good to have you!
Stick with it and you won't be dissapointed.

kimber10
Tue, Mar-04-08, 03:26
We all feel low...sometimes; but it's truly about what you believe.

You will enjoy the insightfullness of the forum participatants. And we will enjoy yours!!!

It's good to have you!
Stick with it and you won't be dissapointed.

Hi Feelskinny!

Thanks for your lovely message. I'm so glad to be dieting in this day and age with things like forums for support! How did we ever survive a diet before??!

I'm feeling a lot better since reading Valerie's message before. I guess I'm just feeling a bit cheated because this is the longest I've ever stuck to a "diet" (I know, way of life :)) without even wanting to give it up because I am so determined to get rid of this blubber! So I guess I was expecting my body to follow through on my willpower's decision and just hurry up and do the right thing by me cause I'm being so determined! :)

I need to work my way around the forum more and check out people's journals, etc. From what I've seen so far, everyone here seems absolutely lovely. :)

Jgregm69
Wed, Mar-05-08, 07:31
Hi Kimber, how's life. Don't trip if you don't lose every week. Stick to your plan and good things will happen. Take care. Greg in sunny California.

TiredFedUP
Wed, Mar-05-08, 11:12
Hi Kimber, Your body probably is loosing fat with as much determination as you are, you just can't see it yet. I'm just now whooshing down after five weeks of pingponging the same two kilos back and forth. What tipped me off was body measurements... they are always trending down, even when my scale says I've put on 2.5 kilos of water in one night. What the hell? I'm much saner after measuring (tip: write down the sum of your measurements. the sum of your measurements can shrink on a daily basis) than I am after stepping on the scale.

Hang in there, it will come off faster than you realize, especially if you are good to yourself. Treat yourself to great salads, great steaks, olives, find stuff that makes you feel good.

kimber10
Thu, Mar-06-08, 05:02
Hi Kimber, how's life. Don't trip if you don't lose every week. Stick to your plan and good things will happen. Take care. Greg in sunny California.

Hi Greg all the way over there in sunny California! I just popped over and had a read of your journal. You're doing really well from what I can see ... way to go! :)

Luckily I've lost that kilo that had managed to sneak back on as of this morning, so I'm hoping I'm back on track. Actually, you sounded a bit like me in your journal! I've been meaning to start a walking program for the few weeks now but it's been *......* (insert pathetic excuse here like too hot, too cold, too rainy, too sunny), or I've been *......* (insert pathetic excuse here too tired, too flu-ey, too busy). I really have to get moving though I've decided. I joined up at a gym in March last year and went for two weeks!! In the meantime they're still deducting the $20 a week from my bank account ... ha ha ha!! The world's fattest most loyal contributor to a gym's bank account.

Anyway, good luck with your walking and weight loss! I'll keep an eye on your journal!

kimber10
Thu, Mar-06-08, 05:09
Hi Kimber, Your body probably is loosing fat with as much determination as you are, you just can't see it yet. I'm just now whooshing down after five weeks of pingponging the same two kilos back and forth. What tipped me off was body measurements... they are always trending down, even when my scale says I've put on 2.5 kilos of water in one night. What the hell? I'm much saner after measuring (tip: write down the sum of your measurements. the sum of your measurements can shrink on a daily basis) than I am after stepping on the scale.

Hang in there, it will come off faster than you realize, especially if you are good to yourself. Treat yourself to great salads, great steaks, olives, find stuff that makes you feel good.

Ha ha ... what a great username! Kind of sums it all up sometimes, doesn't it? :)

Hmmm, maybe I should try measurements instead. I've managed to shift the pesky kilo that had snuck back on, but I feel like my pants are looser than the other day too ... god, I hope they are!! I'm hoping I may have just had a slow week on the scales while my body readjusted and that now I'm about to go headlong into losing a bit more!!

scousie
Thu, Mar-06-08, 06:12
Hi Kimber

I've just read your update and I could've written it myself! After a flying start I just seem to have ground to a halt over the past two weeks, bouncing up and down 2lb and I have definitely noticed the number 2 sitution!!!! I know its really hard but stick with it - hopefully we'll join TiredFedUp and be on a whoosh before long. I've laid off the excercise the past few weeks (my excuse is the weather being cold, rainy, and staying late at work lol) though which may be contributing to not shifting much so I'm back on that - maybe you can do some walking or something even if you don't feel like going the gym?

xx